Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. www.rennsportgruppe.org.nz

Apply with background and a group of committee members will consider if you are "the right stuff". As you already have a corner at Taupo International Motorsport Park named after you I see no issue in you being accepted :-)

I spent some time polling various attendees on Saturday and Monday about the Manfield day. General consensus is we should pay a bit more and have the track to ourselves under the Playday banner next year. Paul is confident we can get the numbers from WTGN chapter PCNZ and I concur. We had 21 but if we had have marketed more widely could have made 30. A number of people commented they would have paid $50 more a head for us to have had the full track. Maybe to make it more acceptable to the masses we remove the $25 per head track support cost (those who need this could group together to cover the cost) and the net difference isnt so much.

October 7th/8th (Fri/Sat) could work quite nicely. Gives those heading to Europe an opportunity to participate and is a few weeks before race season and Targa?

Perhaps we should float this for vote on the closed user group & FB? It certainly would mean the temps would be a bit more reasonable and the chances of fine weather technically improve not to mention the benefit of daylight savings and good timing for those wishing to fine tune their cars for race season or targa?
Old 09-15-2015, 03:33 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Would a NITT based around HD and Taupo work? Manfield sure is a long way away. Apartments at HD and Hilton in Taupo. Failing apartments at HD, there is always Huntly. I recall a song from my days in the Tron; "Whats wrong with Huntly"
Old 09-15-2015, 03:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. HD is for most a local track so wouldn't have much of a "wow" factor. It also dis-enfranchises our "southern contingent" and I think its an important date in our annual calendar. If anything we should be adding a third track to the tour and HD or Puke could work well. I'm effectively doing this with Prestige Playdays this Sunday at HD. We did consider Boomrock as an interest add in but as a track it is apparently wanting and its a long hike for limited reward. The SITT is 4 tracks over 10 days and I cant help but feel (personally) the NITT is probably a bit less "hardcore" from both a track density and social latitude point of view - but it does fit within most members busy lives and includes some great back road adventures ton get to the tracks. Further track costs and Garys changing responsibilities at HD could make Puke a more politically viable future Auckland venue for Playdays which will help add some (IMO) much needed variety to the local Auckland track scene. the rates there appear reasonable too.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:58 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave I think part of the NITT magic is that we do the tracks we are less familiar with. Albeit Fielding is a long way for some. 6 hours on the road, pfft. (Actually I struggled with back niggles on that long stretch this year).
Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Big thanks to Brother Matt and his good lady Sol and Master Chef Pete for the unbelievable BBQ at Matts on Sunday night, food company and surrounds as good as any Huka lodge meal I've had - 40 very satisfied palettes and a very high bar has been set. Must thank Pete for superb organisation, apart from a gardening award being given (brother Richard) no Macca Cup opportunities were presented so Brother Buba still retains the honour :-)

It's a really great thing what has been created with RSG, it's better than we ever imagined, the commraderie is second to none and I sure I'm not alone in my thoughts of how lucky I am to be part of it all. We missed you John but there will always be another day.

Bring on SITT!!
As always Macca, so eloquently said.

A big thanks from me too to the entire RSG massive for making NITT such a great event. Perfect weather, awesome machinery and a great bunch of people. Thanks for the hospitality on Sunday Matt and Pete/Macca for all your organising to make it all possible.

You hit the nail on the head Macca, what's been created here with RSG is a very special thing. I'm stoked to be a part of it.

Thanks All.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:48 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Would be great to have a third track in the mix, either HD or Puke, would just add to the event.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im not having much luck with my Aim gear tonight. This is the session with Jamie. Here is the fastest lap from the session. (1.42.16). There were 3 in the 42s and 3 in the 43s so the car is circulating consistently. I can overlay a number of channels. The most interesting is RPM and gear #. It's not a perfect lap (predict shows there is around 1.5s left on the table between sectors and I found it impossible to hook up a mistake free lap out there - I still have no idea how to correctly enter and attack the as before the front straight and could also do with some help on I think T5 infield).

You can see that the car maxes out at 225 GPS kmph on the back straight, lowest speed is around 55kmph, and the highest gear it uses on the track is 5. The cars lowest rpm is 4000 and the high is a few rpm under 9000. The car sits in 2/3rd most of its time out there. You can also see where it reaches max RPM and that if it wasnt able to rev above 7000 rpm (like my 993) then an extra gear change would be required in a few places around the track.

The Red line is speed.
The blue line is gear and shift points
The green line is rpm.

I think this can be a powerful tool but I need John to show me how as Ive never used it. The Solo DL seems to have limited memory so I only recorded my last two sessions of the day due to a glitch. The SmartyCam SD card faulted in the morning at Taupo meaning only Manfield and one Taupo lap were captured (files need recovering). Thats never happened before to me and Im pretty upset about it as I like to have the video as well as the trace. I need to have a lesson from the Aim guru!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Macca; 09-15-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Be very interesting to overlay the Cayman R graph Pete. I'm curious to how the mid engine car differs on the track with regards corner speed etc.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:48 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I haven't downloaded yet but best lap was a 1.44.55 and top speed on the back straight of 202/3 AIM (210 on speedo). Lost lots of time having to brake early due to pad fade - drove home thinking I had a stone in the caliper but was metal on metal on the left rear inside pad! So when I called it quits early afternoon I couldn't have run further if I'd wanted to!

Will try and do the comparative trace but need JMac to show us how to overlay.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I haven't downloaded yet but best lap was a 1.44.55 and top speed on the back straight of 202/3 AIM (210 on speedo). Lost lots of time having to brake early due to pad fade - drove home thinking I had a stone in the caliper but was metal on metal on the left rear inside pad! So when I called it quits early afternoon I couldn't have run further if I'd wanted to! Will try and do the comparative trace but need JMac to show us how to overlay.
I can do that. Just bring the Aims to me and I can download both on my computer.

Pete, if you want to change the pads, then you need to decide if you will use wear indicators or not. I suggest you do use them as otherwise we may have to join the wires to keep the pad sensor from alarming. You need new sensors btw.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I haven't downloaded yet but best lap was a 1.44.55 and top speed on the back straight of 202/3 AIM (210 on speedo). Lost lots of time having to brake early due to pad fade - drove home thinking I had a stone in the caliper but was metal on metal on the left rear inside pad! So when I called it quits early afternoon I couldn't have run further if I'd wanted to! Will try and do the comparative trace but need JMac to show us how to overlay.
My max is 201km/hr on the AIM at HD.

Btw the warranty is definitely over !!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:43 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I can do that. Just bring the Aims to me and I can download both on my computer.

Pete, if you want to change the pads, then you need to decide if you will use wear indicators or not. I suggest you do use them as otherwise we may have to join the wires to keep the pad sensor from alarming. You need new sensors btw.
If you have time on the weekend then I'll pop round with the AIM and laptop. Macca - you free at all?

I think job may be bigger as need rotors as well - fronts are definitely worn plus cracking from the drilled holes. Rears will need to see but also getting worn plus not sure how much damage I may have done with the metal contact.

Happy to run without wear indicators so long as I can get rid of the service indicator.

Car may go down to Pirongia with Tony's assistance as contemplating getting the RSS front arms and rear toe kit. Clearly not enough front camber and I will chew through track tyres otherwise. May also test lowering slightly.

Originally Posted by John McM
My max is 201km/hr on the AIM at HD.

Btw the warranty is definitely over !!!!
Haha - yes, I'm hearing you! I'm guessing you won't want the buy back option either...
Old 09-15-2015, 07:04 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Video coverage of the Porsche press conference at the Franckfurt Motorshow. Covers new 911 and Mission E

http://porsche.gomexlive.com/
Old 09-15-2015, 07:07 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Video coverage of the Porsche press conference at the Franckfurt Motorshow. Covers new 911 and Mission E

http://porsche.gomexlive.com/
Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

A bit of a random question. What do you think the effect will be on the apartments values at Hampton Downs with Toy Quinn purchasing the track?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?