Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Go cars not show cars John. Track day debut much more important than the picnic!!
It will be there, that's why I'm doing the control arms, spring plates and rear shocks. I will however be showing new respect for gear changes....until Lola looms in my mirrors
Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It is getting up there, but not that extreme.

Ultimately, I had little choice as I know anything compromised on will upset me and get the whispers going (if that actually matters?)

When finished I will challenge people to find evidence of shortcuts as all you see (window seals and headlights excepted) will be new. The car is corrosion free and accident damage free (aside from the small bump you saw where it's bottomed out at some stage). I'm hoping it will 'pop' next to other cars of the same vintage as it's the details that make the difference to the 'look' and it's what has cost that little bit more to achieve.

Looking at the list I think I'm going to struggle to debut at the Porsche picnic, but am not pressuring myself. It will be ready when it's ready. I'll take photos then use it as intended and look out for my next project. What I need now is the market to tip into a downturn and find a car with real problems Engine issues would be great as I have the gear to put one on a stand now.
Mate we are your hommies. We don't whisper we shout LOL!

I can hook you up with the Classic Car Magazine crew if you would like a studio shoot and article in their magazine as the editor is an old Porsche mate. Im 100% certain they would be interested in the story. Nice way to preserve the car in pristine condition for history before going out there and getting it all dirty and stone chipped again through the love of driving!

As for the cost - forget it. We already have you pegged for 110K and sewerage class flights are a fair trade I reckon :-)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It is getting up there, but not that extreme.

When finished I will challenge people to find evidence of shortcuts
I'll get Macca to snag it on behalf of the RSG - he found a few things on my 993 that I missed.

Sounds like you are taking on Macca in the resto $$ stakes - you must be heading for $120K
Old 10-14-2015, 10:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate we are your hommies. We don't whisper we shout LOL!

I can hook you up with the Classic Car Magazine crew if you would like a studio shoot and article in their magazine as the editor is an old Porsche mate. Im 100% certain they would be interested in the story. Nice way to preserve the car in pristine condition for history before going out there and getting it all dirty and stone chipped again through the love of driving!

As for the cost - forget it. We already have you pegged for 110K and sewerage class flights are a fair trade I reckon :-)
I would like to believe it would end up less than that, but I'm not holding my breath. We are well on the way now. John has done his work, the body is at paint, Steve/Dan are rebuilding the box (spoke to Steve this week) and I have only three parts left to arrive. No doubt there will be a final order of small items as I work through the refit, but nothing major.

To give you an idea of the detail, I have sourced new screws for the carpet strip at $4.50 each (not a misprint!) and there are ten of them. I did this as they attract light surface corrosion when scuffed. I want the sill to be perfect, as new. It would certainly merit a professional photo shoot, so if they're interested get them in contact. They can title it "964 folly".
Old 10-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting data points between new and old.

I'm planning a busy track year in 2016 with 10 track dates (7 different tracks).

Im now at the point where I have 8 track days on the GT3 and an additional 12,000 road kms, much of them at a "reasonable pace" (autobahns and auto stradas included). Ive been able to spreadsheet the real costs to run the car. A bit sobering I must say, but probably no surprise to Neil and other longer term modern GT3 owners.

Each track day with the 991 GT3 is $2250!

In fairness I have worked this out by loading ALL annual costs onto the track days. So in reality Im getting lets say an additional 8000 road/touring Kms a year for "free" (but lets face it those are probably worth no more than 2 track days?).

That's tyres x 2 sets (MPSC2) mounted and fitted, SRF x 1, annual service + sundry labour, WOF, Rego, x 1, annual insurance, 1 x annual geo, 1x front OEM set of rotors and OEM pads (last 10 track days) and 50% of a rear set of OEM rotors and pads (look like they last 20 track days), replacement front lip and under carriage covers, fuel (almost 2 tanks for a full track day) and track entry costs.....

I now share my views with Paul on how expensive this "hobby" can be. As they say you have to pay to play. Id also point out that the harder/faster you drive the more it costs - like most I dont go out there to mosey around, rather I try and push the car as hard as i can so that does cost extra money.

The only consolation is by buying a new car the first 10 track days (and 14 months of road Kms) were "Free". :-). The car is of course warrantied for 3 years on and off the track, which is also comfort to know.

By comparison the 993 costs $1400 per track day with all those same costs included and assuming 6000 "free" road miles.

So for a busy year with 10 track days and a fair amount of touring, $22,500 (GT3) vs $14,000 (993). That's for the car being run pretty hard but does not include any breakages or wear on larger components (i.e. for 993 periodic gearbox, diff rebuilds and for both eventual cost of engine work, suspension replacement components and bushes etc).

Explains why I'm doing the El Camino next year rather than luxing it up with the others!

Sobering isn't it! My advice? Dont spreadsheet your costs ;-)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:46 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been able to spreadsheet the real costs to run the car...
Sobering isn't it! My advice? Dont spreadsheet your costs ;-)
Yikes! Kind of wish I hadn't seen that but thanks for sharing. Somewhere at home I have a similar sheet I did which compared Gymkhana vs Track day versus Sprints etc - including breakdown allowance and a 'write off' provision for uninsured Sprints and races. I did it on an incremental cost basis though (so compared to the cost of leaving the car in the garage for the day). Still chewy but not as scary as yours.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Ive just put you in touch with Ashley Webb. Im sure it will look great in print. Make sure it has an RSG banner :-)
Old 10-14-2015, 11:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'll get Macca to snag it on behalf of the RSG - he found a few things on my 993 that I missed.

Sounds like you are taking on Macca in the resto $$ stakes - you must be heading for $120K
Nowhere close to that, but Macca will struggle to find items as John got to it first and I think he out Maccas Macca, as you have seen with the Ghia. That plus I did a lot of the disassembly myself and saw things a shop might not e.g. grommets for the sunroof drains, wiper base rubbers.

Obviously this isn't a full respray as the engine bay and frunk won't be painted, however there is nothing else masked on this car so no lines.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:47 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Hows the underside of the car, John? When i was crawling under there I wasn't focused on the stone chip underseal. I'm guessing you had a good gander with a light already?

Reminds me when i have a change to get into the oil coolers and give a good cleaning. Probably replace the ceramic resisters while i'm in there...
Old 10-15-2015, 12:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
^^^ Hows the underside of the car, John? When i was crawling under there I wasn't focused on the stone chip underseal. I'm guessing you had a good gander with a light already?

Reminds me when i have a change to get into the oil coolers and give a good cleaning. Probably replace the ceramic resisters while i'm in there...
Clean as, no cracks. Aside from deferred maintenance and a few low driveway scrapes at the front, this car has led an easy life.

BTW: On purchase, my oil cooler fins were caked with oil and dirt. CCS cleaned it and the oil pipes were all renewed. That and the hydraulic pressure switch are items that cost $$$ to replace.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good idea on the ballast resistors Warwick. PITA to get at later!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I really like those canyard thingy's Doug put on the front of his 964 and reckon they would help balance aero with you rear wing John...

Might be a nice time to update all exterior lights with LED from Tore? Myself and a few others have used their kits on the 993 with success. Not expensive. Im not sure but he may even supply an HID upgrade option for the headlights. These make a huge difference at night especially with aging eyes...

At the rate I am spending your money I think you will be spending 6 weeks with Jo & I in May/June in Europe dosing down in cheap digs doing the El Camino de Stantiago de Compostella while Donna gets the luxo vila in France in September ha ha!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I really like those canyard thingy's Doug put on the front of his 964 and reckon they would help balance aero with you rear wing John...

Might be a nice time to update all exterior lights with LED from Tore? Myself and a few others have used their kits on the 993 with success. Not expensive. Im not sure but he may even supply an HID upgrade option for the headlights. These make a huge difference at night especially with aging eyes...

At the rate I am spending your money I think you will be spending 6 weeks with Jo & I in May/June in Europe dosing down in cheap digs doing the El Camino de Stantiago de Compostella while Donna gets the luxo vila in France in September ha ha!
Yes, I sense that you could spend the 'R' money in a day if given free rein. Fortunately, Donna is getting her promised bathroom refurb now otherwise the cupboard might be bare when that came around.

There is no money for a new splitter or vanes upfront. I already have a Techart splitter where I'll repair the few knocks it has taken and call that it. A good chance to learn some Carbon Fibre lay-up skills.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im tempted to do a Euro delivery on one of these.....

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/feature...november-2015/
Old 10-15-2015, 03:02 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RS60 went in for a warrant and 60k major service at CCS today. It turned out to be a bad news day.

Some good news, they spotted a screw and an embedded bit of aerial in my left rear tyre. They're both punctured next to each other and the recommendation was "unrepairable" due to the proximity. If I didn't drive in a spirited fashion I'd say "get over yourself and repair it" :-(. That's the second left rear tyre to get nailed on b-road runs this year. Good to find it in the workshop rather than problems occurring in the field like last time.

Bad news is the other good Michelin 275/35R19 PSS tyre is only 1/2 worn and while I have a matching spare rear from the last time, it's 265 Bridgestone whereas the michelin in 275. So a new set of rear 265/35R14 Pirelli pzeros are going on for Porsche club discounted price of $1400 all up fitted with GST. Pete, I've now 2x emergency spare 50% worn 19" 987 fronts and rears if you ever get caught out in a bind in the R.

Front wheel bearings were rough and need replacing. Also steering arm ball joints (where they join the steering rack, not the wheel carrier end) have excessive play and need replacing. Bit surprised for a 2008 60k car with 2 previous lady owners. They don't make them like the old days aye.

All up no change out of $5k including the major service today. Fricking Porsche tax.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?