Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

You need to post more info on your $1000 set - I'm struggling to find a single cast wheel for my car at that price!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Chris,

I used to have a wheel fetish so can probably speak to this as well as anyone (Infact I believe at least four sets of my past wheels are floating around owners car on this very board!). I think Ive bought and sold 6 sets alone for the 993 over the last 15 years.

Firstly - $4000 is not alot of money to spend on a set of 5xPCD150 wheels with the correct width (J) and offset (ET) for a Porsche. Infact that is very much at the cheap end for a set of new wheels.

Aftermarket is fine as long as the brand has a reasonable reputation. OZ are one of teh cheaper aftermarket along with Enkei and there are no doubt many more. The higher end brands from teh states such as Forgeline, HRE etc are buitifully crafted, strong and very light but will run you $8-12K landed.

The exchange rate has really kicked the guts out of importing larger ticket car stuff from the states. Im pretty sure if I was a NZ Post investor I would have started to tremble at the thought of the lower parcel columes to come as the Kiwi sinks.

At theend of teh day, if these are wheels for the street I dont think you should worry too much. I would just research to see if they have been used ona cayman previously and if so what the feedback was like. Afterall if a manufacturer is making wheels in the right stud pattern and offset for a Porsche Cayman (fairly unique) then they must be selling to Porsche owners.

Remembers there are many brands out there suck as Work & Bombansier from Japan which you may not have heard off but which are very highly regarded in their home markets.

So spill teh beans and post what youare thinking. We may beable to save you making a tasteless purchase LOL!
I can get a set of these in correct Cayman spec for $1050

http://www.inovit.com/Web/ProductDet...86DE5BF2E2B8B2

(Can see where to make that a hyper link sorry)

I have yet to see them in the flesh, weigh them etc... But on the surface...

As above, these could be my street/wets given that will be less stressful on them than with semi slicks on track...
Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Moochier
Instructor

This looks the part... Is it?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=922250058
Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
I can get a set of these in correct Cayman spec for $1050

http://www.inovit.com/Web/ProductDet...86DE5BF2E2B8B2

(Can see where to make that a hyper link sorry)

I have yet to see them in the flesh, weigh them etc... But on the surface...

As above, these could be my street/wets given that will be less stressful on them than with semi slicks on track...
They dont look half bad for $1000! Assuming theyhave teh right off set and stud pattern (and it would appear they do as they have pictures on a boxster) they could definately be worth a try. They would make a good wheel for the road and as you say save teh factory 19" for Targa and track work...
Old 07-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If it is will amke many weep. 60K for that is very good value given creating anything like it would probably be a 100K excerise today.

I like what I see in the engine bay and the description shounds great, but limited exterior shots have me questioning the stance and shape of the rear valence and fenders and no interior shots is curious. Im sure Im being picky but would want to see it in the flesh before making the decision (but I doubt it will actually last long enough to deliberate).

Goes to show this stuff is still around and overall prices arent silly in NZ yet.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I'm trying to understand why some wheels are $1000 and others are say $4000 and why you'd pay for the expensive ones.

I understand there can we weight, looks and strength variables but if you find a $1000 good looking wheel that's not too heavy, is strength really a critical factor?

I've never seen a wheel fail unless it's been in an accident, hit something pretty hard etc... But that doesn't mean they can't, I just wonder why you'd then pay for a $4000 set of wheels.

I've generally always thought people do spend the money on wheels for cosmetic reasons, brand kudos etc... All the wrong reasons!

I can understand paying for the weight advantage of light wheels, but it appears that's down the list of importance unless your racing...

See I've found a set of cheap wheels, that look good and I don't believe are too heavy and trying to understand what the downside is... If strength was an issue, surely they wouldn't pass some form of certification and I could use the for street or track depending on which was easier in wheels.

Appreciate any opinions on this...
There are cast wheels and there are cast wheels. Personally i couldn't justify the $$$$ of forged wheels. However, neither would i buy gravity cast wheels. The sweet spot for is is a low pressure flow formed wheel. It provides much of the strength of a forged wheel without the cost

That's John Gausden's car. He is an enthusiast and its a nice car albeit of the owners taste. There are some nice original and repro period parts on the car though i'm not sure if its worth the asking as i'm not sure of its collectabilty. However, for a 190 hp 1000 kg car it would be a fun car to own and spank. The engine was rebuilt by Aero. That said i've been agonizing all last night and this morning whether i should buy it. I'd have to sell Mr Black and i find myself dragging my feet
Old 07-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If it's any help I wouldn't sell Mr Black for it...
Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
If it's any help I wouldn't sell Mr Black for it...
Thanks Macca, that's the kind of advice i need to hear. You are the second person (not my wife) that has said that to me. But boy, did i have a yearning for it
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Thanks Macca, that's the kind of advice i need to hear. You are the second person (not my wife) that has said that to me. But boy, did i have a yearning for it
I have my brain fade moments when the latest toy is advertised. If it really is marketable, there's no harm in owning both concurrently before deciding which to keep. However I think you are doing the right thing in leaving it alone. A lot less utility in an older car unless it's for occasional use, or is incredibly well sorted, or you like to spanner a lot.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Me too. For an hour or so.

But the reality is its not a numbers matching collectable and it's not as original as your 964.

Yes if you are feeling Mr Black is too special to thrash it could be an option but with your Virgo tendencies you would make this hot rod to special to drive in anger too within no time so as a pure out and out substitute I don't believe it stacks up. If it were an addition to relieve the pressure of keeping Mr Black looking pristine and garage queen like then it could work, or as an only 911 for someone who is without a 911 and less fussy about condition certainly.

However I don't think this is you right now (big assumptions as I hardly know you!!). The alternative path is to gradually spend the 15k you save on the change over into improving the 964, personalising it and gradually using it more and more doing events that give you pleasure.

I'm almost 15 years with the 993 and it was once also a garage queen with fresh full glass out re spray. as a Virgo I had to really break a life time of behaviour to take it on its first Targa Tour 5 day adventure but once I had I feel more in love with it again and understood it's dynamics better than I had in the previous 10 years. That led to the track and the rest is history - but when I look at it now, paint worse for wear and window screen chipped I know for sure I had an adventure for every one of those stone marks and gravel rashes and it gives me an immense feeling of satisfaction knowing that I've piloted that car through numerous adventures in North and South Island on road and track. It's only paint and glass and $$$ can sort that out if/when I decide to retire it from duties.

You may feel the same with the 964 in the future and if you take that path all I can say is I'm confident you won't regret it (although like me you will often wish your car was silver rather than black/blue lol)... Sermon over :-)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Steve R's retirement fund is looking good http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C637360#
Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Ahh wise old heads that have been there before Funny about the 'patina' you mention Macca. My inner Virgo needed to clean the car after my wee off abut once i'd done it and found the only damage was some relatively minor scratches i feel the same in that they are some perverse badge of honour and a war wound and not disturbing me as much as I expected. To be sure though they will get a good seeing to in due course as the shadow of Mercury is looming
Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Steve R's retirement fund is looking good http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C637360#
Unfortunately most of Steves stuff is not original matching numbers original. I spoke to him when he was in UK and suggested he fill up a container and send it over for sale through a friendly dealer in the not too distant future. Unlike the Notts, Halfords, Higgins or Mackrels of the NZ Porsche collector car scene, Steves cars have largely been cobbled together from his workshop inventory over the years. That being said he has a few 928, 924 and a 964 Cairo tipo which are numbers matching period correct. However my view is that the old 356 early Vin chassis and some of the rarer RS/RSR parts he has tucked away are more likely the true gold he's sitting on. Old Porsche parts have become pricey too with the classic car boom...
Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ahh wise old heads that have been there before Funny about the 'patina' you mention Macca. My inner Virgo needed to clean the car after my wee off abut once i'd done it and found the only damage was some relatively minor scratches i feel the same in that they are some perverse badge of honour and a war wound and not disturbing me as much as I expected. To be sure though they will get a good seeing to in due course as the shadow of Mercury is looming
Yes yes. It's a good start. I too try and keep up with the more obvious blemishes, but once the rash starts on the rear bumper PU inner edge and down the side sills (almost all from Targa and fast B road weekend fund - NZ roads are very dirty!), then you end up drawing the line. One of the great benefits as an ageing Virgo, which I'm pretty sure God designed simply for us to relieve our stress in our dotage, is failing short distance sight. I only notice things from 3m these days - if they are large enough to be seen they bug me but otherwise out of sight out of mind :-)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:49 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Is there a local supplier? I'm interested.
http://www.fortyone.co.nz/ - pricing on their website.

Got mine back in 2009 from Jeff at Tyre King in Auckland. http://www.tyreking.co.nz/

NZ$2775/set (incl GST) back then.

http://enkei.com/shop/racing/nt03m/

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?