Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 05:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Really? Paint?? I thought you were convinced you wouldn't? Consider a paint correction first. You'd be surprised at what can be done. The down side to to that is if its in poor condition to start you will start to notice the parts of the car that could not be corrected
Yes. Really. I had my eyes opened about the likely cost if I put in the sweat labour and it isn't that bad. The driver door and bonnet will need a repaint no matter what and some parts of the car are past correction, particularly the edges of the rear guards and sills. The glass will stay in as I have no interest in breaking anything. Apparently there are ways to avoid the masking lines around the front and rear screens. The big decision is whether to get new rear indicators and a centre panel. I did it with the Turbo 3.6 in 2001 and it hurt the wallet then, but really set off the car. However at $2,200 all up its a big call.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I took another look at that transmission I removed. You can see in the webbing it has split. It goes to show what an experienced eye can pick up as i didn't see it on first look. I suspect it's a common failure point of the part. I will still take it into CCS to get schooled

Getting Dan to check mine as well. I spoke to Steve on Monday and he said pretty much what Macca has related. They all go eventually.

Edit: Dan says mine needs replacing as well

Last edited by John McM; 09-02-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. If you want that car don't feel afraid to bid. I'm working on a price-condition mandate from a friend here in Australia I'm saying with. There are 964 C4 etc here available in the 70ks of similar mileage despite what has been posted here. I believe there are even two on car sales.com.au for 70-80k. In fact a good C2 just changed hands locally for 83.5k Australia new 120k km no rust etc. I think most of them get sold privately between known parties. As such this car needs to check out well via Dean before he will bid further. With around 20k costs to get it to Australia, taxed. Compliance (can be tough on old cars especially if there is any rot etc), freight and insurance there may be very little in it above and beyond the current asking price...

With regards to your one car strategy (wow I think I even suggested this to you a few years back lol) give it a go first before adding again to your fleet. Since having two I barely drive the other and though I will probably end up with a single car strategy again in the near future o really do miss using and living with that one car for everything. It's a lot of fun having seat time all day every day in your favourite car. I certainly wouldn't go all out with the paint. Apart from the fact it wifi ally put you in the 6 figure club (I think I may have predicted that too?) it may spoil the enjoyment as Paul discovered. I've been through that too and agree there is a happy balance which it sounds like you are trying to hit. Good luck with thAt. It's great to have these projects when you are travelling. I'm sure the car will be completed and on the road well prior toXmas.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Agree on the prices you are quoting Macca. The high sale prices of those cars i noted as recently sold are exceptions to the rule. Another C2 with 50k km sold privately withen the last week for a $AU150k and the new owner doesn't care he paid over market. He just wanted the car
Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Next on the agenda. Rears first while I've got the car on stands already. When I get a chance. Life just gets in the way of fettling sometimes

Last edited by pcarplayer; 09-02-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. If you want that car don't feel afraid to bid. I'm working on a price-condition mandate from a friend here in Australia I'm saying with. There are 964 C4 etc here available in the 70ks of similar mileage despite what has been posted here. I believe there are even two on car sales.com.au for 70-80k. In fact a good C2 just changed hands locally for 83.5k Australia new 120k km no rust etc. I think most of them get sold privately between known parties. As such this car needs to check out well via Dean before he will bid further. With around 20k costs to get it to Australia, taxed. Compliance (can be tough on old cars especially if there is any rot etc), freight and insurance there may be very little in it above and beyond the current asking price...

With regards to your one car strategy (wow I think I even suggested this to you a few years back lol) give it a go first before adding again to your fleet. Since having two I barely drive the other and though I will probably end up with a single car strategy again in the near future o really do miss using and living with that one car for everything. It's a lot of fun having seat time all day every day in your favourite car. I certainly wouldn't go all out with the paint. Apart from the fact it wifi ally put you in the 6 figure club (I think I may have predicted that too?) it may spoil the enjoyment as Paul discovered. I've been through that too and agree there is a happy balance which it sounds like you are trying to hit. Good luck with thAt. It's great to have these projects when you are travelling. I'm sure the car will be completed and on the road well prior toXmas.
If I bought the C2 with my current bid, I would roll it into the corner of the garage with a cover and put the rego on hold. I don't have any appetite to spend money on making a 964 perfect.

Herman is gojng to be in 'acceptable' condition as my DD. There will still be a lot of headroom before I hit six figures. I hope at 20 feet it will stun, but am less worried if fanatics note that it isn't concours standard. As a DD it will drive in all weathers.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

There are ways of achieving "nice" paint for reasonable cost, when you start painting engine bays, frunks and jambs things get a whole lot more expensive and complicated.
Sounds like John is going to do the majority of the strip himself whhich will also help to save a lot of coin and I've always preached that if you can unbolt it you are far better to do that than mask it, detail work is the difference between something that looks great or ok.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
There are ways of achieving "nice" paint for reasonable cost, when you start painting engine bays, frunks and jambs things get a whole lot more expensive and complicated.
Sounds like John is going to do the majority of the strip himself whhich will also help to save a lot of coin and I've always preached that if you can unbolt it you are far better to do that than mask it, detail work is the difference between something that looks great or ok.
I'm good at pulling things apart and doing it slowly helps with the new part ordering. I must have foreseen the need as I have various seals already in my parts bin. The 'smile' is the only thing I'm missing of the seals. Now to look at the other small items like indicators.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Macca, looks like your questions about the C2 have had an ill effect on poor Vince. No more public questions will be entertained. I see we have another local player leading the bidding. Competition is fierce amongst the Rennlist massive.

This is fun watching from the outside in...
Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default TPC module is in.. Awesome.

Just put in the new PASM module, wow it's really nice! smoother and tauter at the same time on our crappy NZ roads. Impressed.
Soon I will have the software to make changes to it!! woo hoo!

On the other hand I'm probably going to miss out on manfield... at least....
Old 09-03-2015, 12:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting viewing the housing auction results come in for Wed and Thurs.

1/3 of the houses had no bids or didn't sell and 1/3 sold prior to auction??

So a lot of houses not to sell (and a lot to sell for sufficient money to bring an auction forward)

I think the market is starting to turn - might be a good time for speculators to off-load??
Old 09-03-2015, 01:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca, looks like your questions about the C2 have had an ill effect on poor Vince. No more public questions will be entertained. I see we have another local player leading the bidding. Competition is fierce amongst the Rennlist massive.

This is fun watching from the outside in...
Hi Warwick,

I'm not 100% sure why. My questions were based only from the service history information he provided on the dropbox link. Vince has been professional and forthcoming in his responses, even if as I understand it correctly this is a speculative sale for him and he has only owned the car a very short time (thus does not have any recent knowledge/history on the vehicle).

I've emailed Paul & John to say this but will also say it here. I am bidding on behalf of a fiend we have being staying with in QLD. Hes been hankering to get into an aircooled 911 for some time. However due to duties/ADR & compliance, insurance and GST plus work needed to be done (panel, paint, mechanical etc) to make any car he purchases good there is a very strict formula in place for our bidding.

As such I have no emotional or fiscal interest in this Red 964 so if others are interested in joining the bidding I encourage you to do so you will not be offending me in any way. Just wanted to make that point. This car is not for me.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Warwick,

I'm not 100% sure why. My questions were based only from the service history information he provided on the dropbox link. Vince has been professional and forthcoming in his responses, even if as I understand it correctly this is a speculative sale for him and he has only owned the car a very short time (thus does not have any recent knowledge/history on the vehicle).

I've emailed Paul & John to say this but will also say it here. I am bidding on behalf of a fiend we have being staying with in QLD. Hes been hankering to get into an aircooled 911 for some time. However due to duties/ADR & compliance, insurance and GST plus work needed to be done (panel, paint, mechanical etc) to make any car he purchases good there is a very strict formula in place for our bidding.

As such I have no emotional or fiscal interest in this Red 964 so if others are interested in joining the bidding I encourage you to do so you will not be offending me in any way. Just wanted to make that point. This car is not for me.
Agreed. I don't see any problem with your questions, they are valid and would possibly save the hassle of having to repeat the same answers. They are normal due diligence queries. I've met the seller socially and don't wish to question his motives but I did find his last comment interesting - mind you they are possibly not as a response to your questions. No doubt he's had his fill of the "swap for my s14?" proposals
Old 09-03-2015, 01:51 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Interesting viewing the housing auction results come in for Wed and Thurs.

1/3 of the houses had no bids or didn't sell and 1/3 sold prior to auction??

So a lot of houses not to sell (and a lot to sell for sufficient money to bring an auction forward)

I think the market is starting to turn - might be a good time for speculators to off-load??
Wrong forum...

http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/fo...14-New-Zealand

Old 09-03-2015, 02:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed. I don't see any problem with your questions, they are valid and would possibly save the hassle of having to repeat the same answers. They are normal due diligence queries. I've met the seller socially and don't wish to question his motives but I did find his last comment interesting - mind you they are possibly not as a response to your questions. No doubt he's had his fill of the "swap for my s14?" proposals
Good points Warwick.

John - you didn't offer a doorless Integra as part swap did you lol!!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?