Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All
Back from 5 weeks driving the roads of UK and Ireland..do not get a Volvo S90...
Impressive effort in computer time, when I left we were at page 830, now 942, so 112 pages in 5 weeks. Looks like the lads have been having fun tho ..envy is an ugly thing.
Walter, did you blow a waterline fitting or just as hose . Are you getting your lines pinned soon, who you using etc.
Be keen to do the Kart day 27th John
Buggered now, as still in UK time, and reading all this is hard work but worth it..
Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks Jake. I'll add a pic from today's CCS visit. Herman looks like a matchbox toy where the wheels have become a bit loose.

Useful information today is that apparently when I gut my spare catalytic converter I can sell the inside that I take out.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats herman doing there John?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Whats herman doing there John?
Just a WOF. CCS seem to have become more safety oriented so putting cars on the lift is the norm. Herman passed with flying colours and is basically finished modding.

Helga has her rear shocks in now and just a bit of paintwork plus an alignment and she's ready for some road trips.

The 996TT needs four new drop links. After that it's going on Trademe.

When that's sold I'll think more about the future. I'm going I check out the 1999 GT3 to get a price point. If it's as sorted as advertised it could be a mid pack runner in Porsche racing I.e, not competitive in class but not circulating last.

Last edited by John McM; 06-18-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Finished modding? I think Ive heard that before - usually moments before one of us spend more money on our ride LOL! For the brake ducts this is something you can do as a DIY very cheap. I think I posted this before but 10 years ago I put the OEM Turbo S ducts in the 993 and used some of this concertinaed ducting from an industrial hose place in Onehunga. Worked a treat. You need to dismantle the front bumper and take off the front wheels to get to the liner etc. That would be a nice low cost project for you that with the better pads will definitely benefit your times at HD or at least reduce the wear rates of disc/pad and be safer. 1.19.50 is in sight!

So the 996TT is finally on the block. I guess it was a matter of time. Its been handy transport if not a little $$$ to run. Probably much like my M5. Curse with the bills then drive it and realise why you spend the money.

So Herman will become the daily driver. Helga will become the garage queen - and what's this about a GT3? A GT3 track car that also becomes a race car?

You should chat to Paul offline. I think similar things are going through his mind. You should see if you can get a ride of a stock 7.1/7.2 around HD next time you are there and see how you feel about it. I think Pauls just found a new vein for his track cocaine habit LOL!
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interestingly the colour keying used in that concept boxster model on my home office desk 10-12 years ago was the impetuous to the colour coding used on my 993 many years later...front bumper vents, wheel centres, lower rear valence badging, front bumper brake ducts etc
Attached Images   
Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Hi All
Back from 5 weeks driving the roads of UK and Ireland..do not get a Volvo S90...
Impressive effort in computer time, when I left we were at page 830, now 942, so 112 pages in 5 weeks. Looks like the lads have been having fun tho ..envy is an ugly thing.
Walter, did you blow a waterline fitting or just as hose . Are you getting your lines pinned soon, who you using etc.
Buggered now, as still in UK time, and reading all this is hard work but worth it..
Welcome back Phil! Why dont you try and make it out with us on the 19 July. Would be good to finally catch up on track....
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM
mjg
Pro

Lap time from brake ducts now? Name:  ferry.png
Views: 140
Size:  7.1 KB
Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Lap time from brake ducts now?
Brake ducts are for show right now. They go nowhere. I think this is a 1.18.5 car if driven by Steve with new pads and proper ducting. I base that on the AIM traces which clearly show the current driver is the limitation.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Brake ducts are for show right now. They go nowhere. I think this is a 1.18.5 car if driven by Steve with new pads and proper ducting. I base that on the AIM traces which clearly show the current driver is the limitation.
I totally agree. If you are confident in you brakes you will lean on them harder and lap faster. If it builds confidence I think it will benefit your lap time john. The only thing holding back a sub 19 today IMO is you. It's not your technique either but mAybe how brave you are. That being said there is a fine line between brave and reckless!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
...So the 996TT is finally on the block. I guess it was a matter of time. Its been handy transport if not a little $$$ to run. Probably much like my M5. Curse with the bills then drive it and realise why you spend the money.
I was rather dark when heading back to CCS to collect my car, knowing that I'd have an unplanned $4000 worth of work to complete in the next week. Within 5 mins of driving the car I was as excited as the first time I drove it thanks to the new springs. It's all worth it
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 PM
vu.q.le
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just came back from visiting New Zealand. Ten days.....driving a rental car.....ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. What a beautiful country. Took my father who has cancer and needs to take a **** every hour or so. I'm so glad New Zealand has lots of FREE public toilets! But you guys cannot make good American pizza! LOL
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 PM
mjg
Pro

Glad you had a good time, there's some great scenery and driving here, especially in the South Island! Where did you cover? I've only found one place that makes worthwhile NY style pizza (Epolito's in Auckland), but they've been closed since last year for a prolonged move of premises... hoping they return soon so I can get my fix.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vu.q.le
I just came back from visiting New Zealand. Ten days.....driving a rental car.....ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. What a beautiful country. Took my father who has cancer and needs to take a **** every hour or so. I'm so glad New Zealand has lots of FREE public toilets! But you guys cannot make good American pizza! LOL
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and well done on getting yourselves out here. Yes the pizza is a bit tragic but we just make great pies instead (and a lot of awful ones too). Also a timely reminder for us that track times are not what matters in life. Hope you and your dad continue to make the most of any time together.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hi All
Can't be sure until they drop the motor but looks to be a fitting again (3rd time in about 25,000 kms!). Yes getting them all tested, re-epoxied, pinned, and liquid metalled around the collars at Contis. Will take a while as Contis is backed up a little. Ron's 997 went the same way and he beat me to the towie and the workshop...

Taking suggestions as to what else to have them do while in there.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?