Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:06 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ Could be tempted to sell both the 993 & 6.2 GT3 and buy a 997.2 GT3 (just the usual catch of there needs to be one for sale......???)

Or,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-928731620.htm

^^^^ Thank God they have taken truely terrible photos of this car and I have no reason to go to the north shore, coz I could seriously own this. I love these things and when I was a broke cadet and used to spend all my weekends renovating houses trying to get ahead, I used to tell myself I was going to buy a Fezza for my 40th birthday (even if the bank owned it).

Problem is I turn 40 in a month and the bank would own it at the moment (if I sold the 993 for $90K and it was say only $125K) - could be foolish enough.......... you only live once..........
Old 08-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
I remember that conversation with you and Macca... "Let's have a laugh and see if we can influence the market". Yours sold and Jo told Macca "no way" when he got some serious looking interest LOL.
I did far too good job of selling Jo on that car 15 years ago mate! But actually in hindsight perhaps I needed that bitch slap...
Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ Could be tempted to sell both the 993 & 6.2 GT3 and buy a 997.2 GT3 (just the usual catch of there needs to be one for sale......???)

Or,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-928731620.htm

^^^^ Thank God they have taken truely terrible photos of this car and I have no reason to go to the north shore, coz I could seriously own this. I love these things and when I was a broke cadet and used to spend all my weekends renovating houses trying to get ahead, I used to tell myself I was going to buy a Fezza for my 40th birthday (even if the bank owned it).

Problem is I turn 40 in a month and the bank would own it at the moment (if I sold the 993 for $90K and it was say only $125K) - could be foolish enough.......... you only live once..........
If you really want to be in the market to buy a 997.2 GT3 when one surfaces then youll need to move on selling the 993 & 6.2 GT3. Shouldn't be too hard to find homes for both. Locally I would expect you can get 85-90K for the 993 and maybe 95-100K for the GT3 without months of them languishing. There are probably a few buyers on here for them). They are both good examples. Either that or send them both to a dealer in Australia. Looks like the 993 could be worth more there than here (1994, Au new coupe 6 speed with 158k km asking 115K AUD - bit rich me thinks?):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1994-Pors...item2355f0f1cf

Maybe contact Neil D and see if hes ready to move his 7.2 GT3 on yet?

On the subject of the 355....Im a sucker for these so I would say just do it! Ive done a tone of research on them, almost signed off twice two different cars back in 2009/10 (early NZ examples could be had for 95-105K back then). I have the electronic service manuals, launch pack, 1:18 scale model and all the marketing literature from back at the time. Superb sounding and feeling cars. Drive nicely too. You'd want a 6 speed Coupe if you could find one. Are reliable if well looked after (preventative). Neil Penfold can give you the inside skinny, tell him your a mate of mine etc
Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

As much as I love the 355, I'm must say the 360 below is a brilliant car (for sale by Graeme who used to frequent these boards). Its low KM, NZ new has the F1 computer and some really nice upgrades - enthusiast owned. I've driven in it and it really is a wonderful machine, sounds even better on the Tubis. I can vouch for it. Hes asking 125K but will take an offer Im sure. I think he wants to get back into a Porker so may consider a swap etc. The 360 is peppier than the 355, more reliable and easier to service and I think these will be the "964 3.3T" of the modern Ferrari values wise in the future - the 360 Straddle is already appreciating rapidly in all markets. And dont write off the F1 tranny. By this gen they improved it alot. Its single clutch and very agricultural in the sense that it bangs through the gears pretty violently - but i really enjoyed that - lots of drama. The 991 GT3 shifts so much faster and smoother but is actually a little too good at what it does. The F1 is box is not perfect but has tonnes of character. At around 115K this would be a brilliant deal (I had no idea it was for sale till I went looking after your post).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-929353337.htm
Old 08-06-2015, 08:06 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess you saw the Speciale while you where there Macca?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-918446044.htm
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Jan and I are going to the Fezza vs Porka debate on the 21st with Fezza friends of ours. Anyone else on here going along.

Paul. Bet you're having fun thinking about all your options
Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I did far too good job of selling Jo on that car 15 years ago mate! But actually in hindsight perhaps I needed that bitch slap...
Nice photo of you guys at the museum mate.

I think you married way above your westie station in life (Jo must have crumbled under persistence..........that was my strategy).......or have a thing for guys in loafers........

993's are pretty cars - yours looks fab in these photos.

I think you should wind the mod's back and make it a stock sleeper (like mine.....), or RS tribute it...........

Last edited by kiwi 911; 08-06-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Jan and I are going to the Fezza vs Porka debate on the 21st with Fezza friends of ours. Anyone else on here going along.

Paul. Bet you're having fun thinking about all your options
Yes Jen and I are going :-)

Should be a funny night.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

RS Macca..............
Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Nice photo of you guys at the museum mate.

I think you married way above your westie station in life (Jo must have crumbled under persistence..........that was my strategy).......or have a thing for guys in loafers........

993's are pretty cars - yours looks fab in these photos.

I think you should wind the mod's back and make it a stock sleaper (like mine.....), or RS tribute it...........
Yeah. You are right on more than one count there buddy! I think she regretted it when 3 months after that upmarket wedding event she was slumming it in the tropics ha ha!

I agree the 993 looks wonderful Vanilla. Some nice wheels don't hurt and those 996.1 GT3 ones were the possibly best looking I ever had on that car. They went to Ashley, then Tony and now are no dout residing in Steve Rs locker in Pirongia LOL!

The 993 will go through another evolution in the not too distant future Buba. I think I will refit the original front bumper again. I love the Cup2 alloys but still think the car looks "under wheeled" with 17s. That said I havent found another 18" that takes my fancy just yet, so shes wearing the OZ track wheels in the meantime. They are ok, but a little MEH.

Thanks for dragging up those old RS pictures (12 years old?). Who would have thought the 993RS could look so nice in a non "jeallybean" colour aye! The thing I miss most about those photos is my 32 year old chin. Its a double one now :-(

Its interesting reading all the hype on the GT3 cars. The yanks particularly miss the fact that before the 996.2 GT3 (the first GT3 variant they received) was the 993RS and 964RS. Today they talk about how the 996 GT3 is more "raw" because it doesnt have PSAM like the 7 GT3 or electric steering like the 991 GT3. They say the newer cars are "too fast" and lack the character of the older one. Back in 2001 when the owner of my 993RS sold it to me to buy a speed yellow 996.1 GT3 has was very dissapointed with the GT3 saying it was ugly, didnt have the smell and character of the older car and although the engine was a gem, the car was "too clinical" and precise in how it drove, a poor road car and too quick for everyday driving. I bought the 996 GT3 from him and agreed with his synopsis mostly. So did many of the press back in the day. The engine was definitely a highlight. Shift forward 12 years and the GT3 no longer gets compared with its 964/993RS fore-bearers. A shame really because if the Porsche press were not so one eyed they will realise this is all just a repeat in history. They have been getting faster, easier to drive at the limit and more comfortable for a long time now. Since 1967 actually...
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Guess you saw the Speciale while you where there Macca?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-918446044.htm
I bloody well did Warwick. I spent 5 minutes oogling the pictures. Looks like a UK grey market import. Still my "ultimate wish car" for the type of driving I do = 8,000 km a year, half of it B-road dawn raids and long distance touring, maybe 6-8 track days a year and 2-3000km just tootling around town with appointments and visiting friends. Cant think of a more magic bus for me. Raw, loud, performance, basic interior and gorgeous looks. The single problem is the price. Its over twice as much as I could ever justify on such a vehicle and I suspect its gets WAY more attention that I would be comfortable with. It might be different if I had a (very well paying) job or business, but I suspect Id still have a problem with the $$$ and possibly the image. Begs the question however, is that 360 F1 25% of the car the Speciale is? I think not. I haven't driven the Speciale yet but have a mate with one in Dubai whos offered an extended loan (next May I planning) so I hope to report back on that soon.

If you are NZ based and have 300 large to spend on a Fiat I cant help but think right now the 360 Stradle and 430 Scuderia are the best picks. Good back road and track day fun with solid residuals and long term global appreciation. They will be the 2.7RS of the future Im guessing. In the meantime they will keep their owners honest with cam belt changes and annual maintenance while they only occasionally turn a wheel. Different pay grade to typical Porsche ownership tho...
Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

As she was. This was Iteration 2 (2005-2010, 48-62,000km). Porsche sport seats, Turbo S front brake cooling inlets, fresh full glass out respray, some small CF interior pieces including CF 3 spoke steering wheel, 18" Sport Design 2 piece 996.1 GT3 wheels, Michelin PS2, Bilstein HD & MO30 springs at Sport -15mm....These pictures were taken Dec 2006 after the wedding and after we left NZ....
Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2015, 10:21 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah. You are right on more than one count there buddy! I think she regretted it when 3 months after that upmarket wedding event she was slumming it in the tropics ha ha!

I agree the 993 looks wonderful Vanilla. Some nice wheels don't hurt and those 996.1 GT3 ones were the possibly best looking I ever had on that car. They went to Ashley, then Tony and now are no dout residing in Steve Rs locker in Pirongia LOL!

The 993 will go through another evolution in the not too distant future Buba. I think I will refit the original front bumper again. I love the Cup2 alloys but still think the car looks "under wheeled" with 17s. That said I havent found another 18" that takes my fancy just yet, so shes wearing the OZ track wheels in the meantime. They are ok, but a little MEH.

Thanks for dragging up those old RS pictures (12 years old?). Who would have thought the 993RS could look so nice in a non "jeallybean" colour aye! The thing I miss most about those photos is my 32 year old chin. Its a double one now :-(
The reflection in the lower pic isnt to bad either.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
The reflection in the lower pic isnt to bad either.
Sharp eye Nik. Meant to mention that for your benefit but should have known you wouldn't miss it:-). At that time the stable was 993RS, 993C2, RS2 (daily driver). I think the 205 GTI had just moved off a few months earlier after years of active duty to Robert "Pirouette" Ho of early RSG (in)fame...
Old 08-06-2015, 10:51 PM
mjg
Pro

Guess I'd better stop driving on the road. Nobody had told me what a poor car it was.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?