Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that could stop the 996.

Let's hope they don't introduce them at the race track...........
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2016, 02:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good Buba. I trust its now ready for track duty. Looking forward to Manfield. If I see your brake lights flicker at the end of the back straight before the right hand sweeper, Ill understand. ChrisM does the same. Its the scar that never heals. Probably a good idea actually!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:03 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Mike & Paul! Looks like your lifestyle block shopping, cross that one off the list.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Nice work Mike & Paul! Looks like your lifestyle block shopping, cross that one off the list.
LOL! Cross the "life-sapping" block off too. Have that T Shirt. Good business for Real Estate agents tho ;-)
Old 09-30-2016, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pony's are like boats Buba. The best Pony's are other peoples Pony's... :-)

Im childless. Dont expect me to understand!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:15 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Had been feeling for quite a while that my car was running a little rough, and hadn't been making full boost. On top of that heard a faint flutter like sound from the left bank when under light acceleration. I'd had it checked over for boost leaks in the past, but nothing was ever found, and logging engine behaviour showed nothing suspicious. I eventually wrote it off as paranoia, and went back to enjoying the car. I'll admit that I've been waiting for a Turbo to to die or the O2 sensor to trigger a CEL from a failed cat, both of which wouldn't be a complete loss given the potential replacements.

Last weekend I flew past a friend at full noise, who the following day let me know that my car sounded like a tractor on the left side. This was enough for me to drop it in to Giltrap for a thorough examination.

Jeff did a great job, resetting elements of the car that have resulted in it running up to factory boost spec in Sport mode. Awesome. I didn't know enough about the car when I bought it to know if it's ever been running full boost, so interested to see how it impacts the next track session.

Sadly the noise was still there, but after a drive with him in the passenger seat (and potentially shocking him with a early U turn through an empty managed intersection...), we confirmed it was there and not just some Hunter S type manifestations. I dropped him back with the car and later that afternoon had what has to be the best service related phone call I've had as far as resetting expectations is concerned.

Turns out, for what is likely the last 12 months, I've had an exhaust leak between the headers and turbo, thanks to a failed gasket. It was on the engine side of the flange so difficult to find, and only became apparent under certain load.

With this sorted the car now sounds as it should (full hair dryer mode), is driving much smoother, and launches like the monster it is. Couldn't be happier with the outcome, although wish I'd trusted that the bats were real when they first appeared!

Jeff - appreciate the patience you have in listening to my uneducated rants Thanks mate.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2016, 03:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jake. Great outcome. Talking of Ponies it looks like you have found some missing ones and the best news its not too much Porsche tax to effect a reinstatement of said errant donkeys. lets hope you get to try it out on a track soon to see how much time its been costing you. Well done Jeff.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:38 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Busy times. What started out as an investigation to grind and paint the garage floor turned into a full blown house renovation, of which the garage was not part of in the end. Some post and beam work was required to hold up the upstairs changes so partial deconstruction has happened. Interesting to uncover what was in those walls and the wasted space, so I have started a process of taking out as many of the timber posts and piles as possible and replacing these with fewer steel beams and posts. I will expose that brick veneer wall and make something of it with down lighting and nice timber work which should be set off nicely with a couple of old 911's stuffed into the corner. My new workshop in another area turned out so nice that I have lost it to a media room.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great work Dave, but I see a layer of dust on those cars that needs driving off LOL!
Old 09-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Great work Dave, but I see a layer of dust on those cars that needs driving off LOL!
Haven't driven the T since the road trip and the SC longer. Garage is a tip, doubling as the site shed, and trying to keep the builders away from the cars has been a challenge. I'm sure the buggers take them out at lunchtime for a sneaky fang.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Haven't driven the T since the road trip and the SC longer. Garage is a tip, doubling as the site shed, and trying to keep the builders away from the cars has been a challenge. I'm sure the buggers take them out at lunchtime for a sneaky fang.
Well mate the renno nearly done and no cars sold so that's great!!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
Well mate the renno nearly done and no cars sold so that's great!!
Early days, about half way and might sneak in at the end before the money runs out. Did a bit of planning with what we could leave out to save money so looks like I'm building decks, landscaping and painting for the next couple of years. SC is safe for now but not having driven it for 6 weeks makes me question its spot in the garage sometimes.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Early days, about half way and might sneak in at the end before the money runs out. Did a bit of planning with what we could leave out to save money so looks like I'm building decks, landscaping and painting for the next couple of years. SC is safe for now but not having driven it for 6 weeks makes me question its spot in the garage sometimes.
If it's like our house your two year timeline is about right, especially if it's exterior painting as Spring is prime painting time in Auckland. Summer is just too hot. Then there's the car fettling and driving impulse that is too tempting when the weather is right. Sounds like that hasn't been a problem while we've been in Europe though Hopefully it clears up before the run to Cape Reinga.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. The weather you are having looks stunning! Viva la Espana

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?