Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I wouldn't do the exterior paint yet either. Richard, as you know, will by his own admission never "DRIVE" the 964T. I don't think any of his posse see the kind of workout we regularly give ours. Its a balancing act, and that's why I personally would focus on getting the interior nice and bespoke and the mechanicals perfect, not the exterior pristine. As soon as you do that you will not drive it like it should be driven. Look at Buba, his 993 has already been into the shop last 4 weeks for a large insurance job to fix stone chips and window-screen from a club drive! Its just not worth the stress IMO.
I'm very tempted to replace the carpet, as 25 years sees a lot of wear and tear. Plus it's in my DIY sweet spot i.e. lot's of labour, combined with a modest material cost and skill requirement. Apart from that I just don't have the inspiration, cash or skills to create a bespoke interior. The goal is to create a car reliable enough to drive in my dotage. While I appear to have copped more than my fair share of maintenance with Herman, it's likely just a matter of time until others end up with the same issues. I suspect many will be driven less when that happens, just waiting for the market to allow the shiny body to shift the deferred work onto someone else in a half day Tardme sale.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 days in Samoa equals 21 pages on this thread.. good to see things are back to form, with 'do up or not do up', 'drive or show', and the classic 'its not a race...until someone passes me'
Truly the best thread on the web, guys
Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Need to get Herman sorted quickly because this has got me thinking about taking on some windy roads with full noise You’ll Hear The Growler From A Mile Away - YouTube
that's a great vid and article. Nothing like this to get everyone re-enthused to charge into it all again.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Need to get Herman sorted quickly because this has got me thinking about taking on some windy roads with full noise You’ll Hear The Growler From A Mile Away - YouTube
Great clip. He sure can pedal that car as well.

He does need to take his hand off it and remove the RS badge though.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:18 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

... a large insurance job to fix stone chips and window-screen from a club drive! Its just not worth the stress IMO.
How do you get an insurance job for stone chips?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do the exterior paint yet either. Richard, as you know, will by his own admission never "DRIVE" the 964T. I don't think any of his posse see the kind of workout we regularly give ours. Its a balancing act, and that's why I personally would focus on getting the interior nice and bespoke and the mechanicals perfect, not the exterior pristine. As soon as you do that you will not drive it like it should be driven. Look at Buba, his 993 has already been into the shop last 4 weeks for a large insurance job to fix stone chips and window-screen from a club drive! Its just not worth the stress IMO.
Yes -$10K later, new windscreen, RHS light lens and total repaint of the front.......
Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Covered by insurance?!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm very tempted to replace the carpet, as 25 years sees a lot of wear and tear. Plus it's in my DIY sweet spot i.e. lot's of labour, combined with a modest material cost and skill requirement. Apart from that I just don't have the inspiration, cash or skills to create a bespoke interior. The goal is to create a car reliable enough to drive in my dotage. While I appear to have copped more than my fair share of maintenance with Herman, it's likely just a matter of time until others end up with the same issues. I suspect many will be driven less when that happens, just waiting for the market to allow the shiny body to shift the deferred work onto someone else in a half day Tardme sale.
I hear you John. Your approach is sound. By bespoke interior I dont believe you have to go to the extent I have. Just needs to be something that pleases you and feels good (i.e. new carpet, your bucket seats and RS door cards and perhaps a few personal embellishments). Ive never regretted for a moment the work I did on the inside of the car. While the exterior may looking increasingly scruffy the interior is what I see, feel, smell and touch in all my hours behind the wheel - and it gives the most intrinsic reward than almost anything else (other than knowing the mechanical underneath me are in fine fettle). Like you say, much of the cost here is labour, so if you do it yourself it neednt be a bank breaker. Its always fun spending time on something that looks better after you finish than it did before rather than having to spend time and money on issues which are repairs. Like you I consider the air sucker a long term proposition so the money that has been spent making the car reliable to date and enjoyable to own will pay out over the next decade. The biggest mistake Ive made with properties in the past is getting all the work done shortly before flicking them, when I could have done the work when buying them, lived in the newness and sorted house and sold it for the same amount a few years down the line having enjoyed a better lifestyle all the while. At least with herman any money you spend now you know you will benefit from during your ownership...
Old 08-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes -$10K later, new windscreen, RHS light lens and total repaint of the front.......
You need to choose your driving pals more carefully Buba. Those PCNZ guys are rough? Never in all our years of tearing up back road tarmac have we inflicted such damage to each others cars :-(

Good news its all sorted now. Well have to get her out for a Sunday spanking when Im back. Ill bring a 993 too :-)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Great clip. He sure can pedal that car as well.

He does need to take his hand off it and remove the RS badge though.
Agree re the badge. Love the Recaro's. The sound reminds me of my 993. The video makes me want to get out and drive!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Agree re the badge. Love the Recaro's. The sound reminds me of my 993. The video makes me want to get out and drive!
There's a similar spot in the Gentle Annies I can see Doug and I stopping to get some pics on the way South. Maybe buy a drone for Christmas to get the best shots.

Re the badge, I need to get rid of the RS sill plate on Herman, however am amazed how much these cost to replace.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Gentle Annies
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
How do you get an insurance job for stone chips?
Insurance is always to do with an event, you need to demonstrate an event that caused the damage.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

You need to choose your driving pals more carefully Buba. Those PCNZ guys are rough? Never in all our years of tearing up back road tarmac have we inflicted such damage to each others cars :-(

Good news its all sorted now. Well have to get her out for a Sunday spanking when Im back. Ill bring a 993 too :-)
I will take the 993 north.

I have wrapped the entire bonnet this time. I see this is what they do on the new 991's.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Those Gentle Annies are a great drive John. We did a Targa stage down them in 2012. Mucho fun.

Buba. Sounds like you had an "event". We need to learn more about this later.

In America they clay bar and treat the paint then wrap the whole car in plastic, then they wax the plastic and spend $2000 on having some nano stuff applied on top of it all. By the time they finished they could have painted the whole car for the same.

The threads on the 991 boards are endless. Then someone has to replace their bumper after something hits it and they have to spend another $1000 on the plastic. But now the plastic is new and the plastic on the hood and fenders is old and starting to change colour and looks different, so now they spend $2000 to do the hood and fenders, roof and rear quarters too for new plastic. It goes on and on and the only people laughing are the plastic installers ;-)

Its like my grandmother. Last year we moved her into a village after Grandpa passed at 90. Twenty years ago she spent a ransom on new Axminster carpet through the house, then put clear plastic covers down over the top in all hallways and leading into all living areas. The stuff was ghastly and went yellow within a few years. Was slipper when wet. We pulled it up before the auction. Low and behold perfect Axminster carpet circa 1980, pattern design 1936. Felt lovely. Very good quality. Eight days after the auction the Asian family who bought the house (family of 5 with 4 vehicles cramming themselves into a 2.5 bedroom unit with parking for 2 cars) ripped it all up and laid some $100 a square meter Freedom stuff.

Ill never do plastic again.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?