Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by John McM
When I'm finished I'll have a hopefully very sorted air cooled car and will almost certainly sell the R before Christmas. I'm happiest when tinkering and the R is not something I want to tinker with. Add 22 weeks away next year and the decision becomes obvious. Nobody needs four cars and there's no way I'm selling the C4 after this.
'nobody needs 4 cars' I must have this all wrong. Or otherwise it really is some sort of illness and we just laugh about it. my rationalization is if you go more specialized in order to fill specific target needs you get better fit for purpose and a higher high (there we go illness again) when in use. So if they are not multi purpose you need 4. I'm sticking to that anyway. Otherwise how do I defend everytime the line comes out " that car in the corner hasn't been used in a bit why don't you sell it???!!!"
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 904

I think they do replica road versions of this now. Gorgeous.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by John
Living out my mechanical dream etc
John, I'd love to pay a visit when it's in bits, and if you need extra hands when dropping the engine, let me know (expect you have this covered). This type of project is definitely on my bucket list, but I don't think it will happen for quite a few years.

Originally Posted by Macca
...GT3 will likely move mid 2016 on after SITT. Then time to get the 993 donk upgraded. If I send that offshore I think I will be Porsche-less for around 8-12 months.
A Cayman R would do well to see you through those potentially Porsche-less months!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:07 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Then time to get the 993 donk upgraded. If I send that offshore I think I will be Porsche-less for around 8-12 months.
Interesting Macca. Is there not enough local talent to have it prepared here? Or do you have particularly exotic tastes?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
John, I'd love to pay a visit when it's in bits, and if you need extra hands when dropping the engine, let me know (expect you have this covered). This type of project is definitely on my bucket list, but I don't think it will happen for quite a few years.
Jake, I've posted on the 964 forum for tips on the final drop. I expect to have it ready tonight and will release the engine onto the ATV jack and balance the transmission nose on the AC Jack. I suspect that's as far as I can go alone. The engine and transmission need to be lowered about 25cm, which is a bit of a nightmare as the disconnected items are still close to those parts and need to be monitored to make sure they don’t snap, or worse that I've left something connected. I also need to lift the rear to clear the engine as it's wheeled out. That may be best done by a group. Maybe I should see who's around on Sunday and make a couple of hours out of it? Are you a starter for Sunday morning?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:10 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Last night, I all but finished the prep to drop the engine and gearbox. My garage floor has seen spills with the makings of a 964 cocktail; Mobil 1, Pentosin and 98 Octane Petrol. I have an ever expanding tool collection, at a considerable cost (try buying 19mm, 32mm and 36mm spanners at a reasonable price). I have various cuts and scrapes on my hands, my fingernails are constantly black, I have aches and pains in the arms, shoulders and neck, but a smile a mile wide as I contemplate fulfilling a bucket list item.
Nice one John. I've been following the pics on FB. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I too never seem to have buyers remorse when purchasing tools.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I also need to lift the rear to clear the engine as it's wheeled out. That may be best done by a group. Maybe I should see who's around on Sunday and make a couple of hours out of it? Are you a starter for Sunday morning?
I'm in for a Sunday morning lift if you need it.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'm in for a Sunday morning lift if you need it.
Done, let's say 9:30 am so those that have lunch appointments can make those.

Edit: Just to make sure we focus, this is not a seat or wheel drop on the R
Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 PM
PHG
Racer

Jake, what do you want with a Pcar that has a bloody nose? .. or is someone using your Pseudonym
Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Done, let's say 9:30 am so those that have lunch appointments can make those.

Edit: Just to make sure we focus, this is not a seat or wheel drop on the R
But a test drive wouldn't be out of the question?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
But a test drive wouldn't be out of the question?
You are as subtle as Paul. I do owe you for the drive down to collect it. Just be careful, this is Kohi.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are as subtle as Paul. I do owe you for the drive down to collect it. Just be careful, this is Kohi.
I would like to register my interest in the R

(to help drive the price up...........)
Old 08-13-2015, 02:28 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I see many offers of help to drop the engine, and very little assistance being given as everyone haggles over the R... I'm good for 9:30 Sunday.

Phil, whilst noses can be mended, I don't expect I will end up playing surgeon. Although if there isn't any further movement I may be forced into it!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Interesting Macca. Is there not enough local talent to have it prepared here? Or do you have particularly exotic tastes?
Its a long story Warwick and dates back to 2010 when I had the cams changed on the 993 then converted it to Motec (actually Link G4).

I am not comfortable that anyone in NZ can build an tune an exotic 3.6-4.0L engine for the 964/993. My faith in that area has already been shattered after much research, trial and error, discussing with engine builder and spending $$$.

Basically each engine builder has a recipe like a cook. They work within a level of comfort using components they have tried and tested over time.

For example Steve R will build you a nice 3.8 engine from a base 3.6. It will use Mahl pistons and sleeves (same as factory would use) and he will tune it only on Motoronic using a chip from the likes of Steve Wong. It will retain MAF sensor (not MAP as the Motec systems do) and he will not use an over aggressive cam. Hes built a few of these over the years and has them running nice and reliable at around 320 bhp and 275lbft on a good dyno. Budget around 25-28K NZD with parts, labour and tuning.

In the states you have Steve Wiener (Rennsport Systems). He will port and flow the heads, use a custom grind cam, strengthen the springs and retainers, put in new larger exhaust ports and valves and build a stronger bottom ebd (GT3 crank and oil pump) if you need it. He will convert to Mtec M88, MAP sensor and he uses pistons and barrels from 2-3 different supplier depending on budget and use. For a 3.6L he can make a reliable package for 330-340 bhp and 285lbft with a nice flat torque curve. With some stronger internals (rods/studs) can rev up to 7500 rpm. For an exotic 3.6 like this, strong and race proven reliable youd be talking 35-40K NZD.

Rothsport Systems and Geoff Ring both build more exotic engines. Rothsport have race proven 3.9K engines based off 3.6L which will make 415 bhp and 312lbft (almost identical outputs to 997 GT3!). Rothsport have their own engine dyno room, huge investment and in their case its set up as well as the factory. They can tune everything on an engine dyno (very reliable as direct crabk power figures etc). They use ITB or slide valves for their exotic engine builds. Motec naturally. 3.9L typically with light weight Capricorn pistons and rods and a 8200 rpm redline if you wish! These are the best engines in the world IMO but you pay for it. Around 50-55K USD!

There are others too. Colin Belton at 9M in UK has a good reputation for building a 3.9L engine based on the 3.6. If you go with his bespoke cylinders and pistons, rockers and valves, springs etc he can get you into 380 bhp in a reliable package with around 290-295lbft torque. Will be ITB on Motec, around 7800 rpm headline with stronger internals. He has a dyno hes very familiar with for tuning and is a very good operator. Again we are talking 25-30K GBP.

I have spent almost 3 years discussing my engine build needs with all of the above by phone and by email. I have moved closer to an ideal spec with Rothsport and Colin Belton and Steve W. Ocer that time I have also a much better idea of what I want from my future engine- track and targa work have really helped me identify the sweet spots for a future engine.

I think the ideal balance of $$$, reliability and power for my usage would be around 360-80 bhp and 285-300lbft with a 7500 rpm reve limit and peak power at 7000 rpm. The torque curve needs to be nice and flat from 4500-6000 rpm (assumes peak torque around 6250 rpm). This is an engine that would work very well on the short tight NZ tracks with the G64/21 ROW gear set I have mated to the 40/60 Guards LSD I run. It would add a fair bit push out of the corners (torque), allow me to save 1-2 shifts per lap at places like HD and give a good amount more grunt for vMax on the 2-3 straights at HD. Id estimate it would bring around 2s a lap (say a 1.14 flat) to the table over my current set up which is around 282 bhp and 260lbft with a redline at 7000 and a peak power at 6250 (torque at 5600). The extra torque would be great on the road. Build cost I would expect would be around 45k+ NZD all in. The engine would need to be crated to USA/UK to be done right.

Essentially its like taking a 996.2 GT3 engine and transplanting it to a 993....

The big problem now is $$$$. The exchange rate has made an offshore exotic engine rebuild 20% more than it already was and even before it was around 30% more than I really wanted to spend!

So Im in a real bind on this and remain shuffling my feet. I could stomach 25-30K for my spec above. Even 35K. But 45-50K is too rich for me. Remember I already have what it would cost to buy a nice used 997.2 GT3 into the 993 as it stands so there has to be a limited to this insanity?

Here is a few pictures of Rothsports rigs and gear. These guys (and the others I mentioned) make the NZ scene look rather amateurish Im afraid...

P.S. Ive very much simplified the situation in my post here. I have 10,000 words of correspondence and files of data and records of conversations going back 3-5 years on this subject with 4-5 engine builders mentioned above and have very much paraphrased straight from top of my head for above for simplicity sake. I like to do alot of research before making a move on anything I do LOL!
Attached Images        
Old 08-13-2015, 02:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
A Cayman R would do well to see you through those potentially Porsche-less months!
Id much rather keep the GT3 longer (although some cash needs to be freed up for building the 993 engine so I doubt that would work). I think about this time I will be considering finding/starting/buying a new business so I suspect from late 2016 my time will become like many others around here, a scarce commodity limiting my ability to regularly spend 3-4 weeks in NZ at a time indulging myself with cars. Loosely speaking I think the GT3 will find a new home mid 2016 after SITT and the 993 engine will be sent to USA/UK for work late in 2016 after NITT. 2017 will be a dry p-car year after 5 years of over excess. That said I have no concrete plans as such so pretty much anything is in play at this time...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?