kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

(double post)
Old 08-02-2015, 04:17 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

(ended up being a triple post - not sure how).

I need to say something I guess...........

Spokes, here's some inspiration for your 993 with fuch's. You could try a duck and some stripes too? Not sure whether I like it or not? It is growing on me??

I think the rim size and ride height is not right. If it had 17's and a lowered ride with a more old skool stance, can look more the part.

JMc - with my 993 still lowered, maybe you could lend me your rims for a photo opp to see what it looks like?
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2015, 05:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I think Herman will be on the stands for a while so feel free to borrow the Fuchs.

Getting into the meaty end of the engine drop having done the easy parts like electrical connections,heater fan, driveshaft cover and oil drain. The crankshaft position sensor connector disintegrated. It's had a short at some stage. Half shaft bolts look worryingly rounded and oil leak looks like it's coming from only one area. However, I love this stuff. It gives me confidence driving a car hard if I know what's important is in good condition. These cars are beautifully built but they need to be used and maintained. From what I've seen so far Herman's body is in great condition, despite a few war wounds that are visible.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I think Herman will be on the stands for a while so feel free to borrow the Fuchs. Getting into the meaty end of the engine drop having done the easy parts like electrical connections,heater fan, driveshaft cover and oil drain. The crankshaft position sensor connector disintegrated. It's had a short at some stage. Half shaft bolts look worryingly rounded and oil leak looks like it's coming from only one area. However, I love this stuff. It gives me confidence driving a car hard if I know what's important is in good condition. These cars are beautifully built but they need to be used and maintained. From what I've seen so far Herman's body is in great condition, despite a few war wounds that are visible.
It may be a good time to replace both half shafts with new? They have a limited life span and if yours are original they will be on borrowed time. The bearing cage at the wheel end gets dry (sealed unit IIRC with factory grease) heat is created then the cage splits and after that it's all over. One of mine started to pack up on the way down the west coast last SITT. Talking with Steve R, Glyn (Autothority replace my stuffed one with an old one pulled from one of Steve's wrecks) these are a wear item especially for a tracked car with LSD. I ended up buying two new ones now safe in the knowledge both front and rear CVs were replaced with new in 2014. I did the front and rear wheel bearings same time (these should last another decade even with hard use)....
Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

JMC are you doing this from a manual, how are you working out the sequence and what to do??
Old 08-02-2015, 08:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Adrian Streather's book for the main part, albeit also looking at Rennlist and others for finer points e.g. Jacking car up and removing the bumper. There is also a procedure guide in the factory manual. I don't consider this that difficult, aside from the bulk of the engine and gearbox, however that's just dealt with by thinking ahead and getting the right gear.

I was working on Skyhawks as a pimply 19 year old (scary thought watching my own 19 year old) and pilots like Tony flew them. Same principle, go by the book, work methodically and use your brain to work through problems. Also be prepared to make mistakes. When you get Steve R, Dan etc to do your work you are hiring experience. If this was easy to do quickly then everybody would be doing it. What we do have in our favour is time. Herman can sit for weeks waiting for nice to have parts. Any fastener etc that is no in good condition will be replaced. A mechanic wouldn't do that if it took a while to source things that weren't critical.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I think Herman will be on the stands for a while so feel free to borrow the Fuchs.

Getting into the meaty end of the engine drop having done the easy parts like electrical connections,heater fan, driveshaft cover and oil drain. The crankshaft position sensor connector disintegrated. It's had a short at some stage. Half shaft bolts look worryingly rounded and oil leak looks like it's coming from only one area. However, I love this stuff. It gives me confidence driving a car hard if I know what's important is in good condition. These cars are beautifully built but they need to be used and maintained. From what I've seen so far Herman's body is in great condition, despite a few war wounds that are visible.
Noted. I'm going to look at the condition of everything.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:36 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really admire your courage John. I guess it's only the first time that's a little scary. Will place you well for the future top end rebuild.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
I really admire your courage John. I guess it's only the first time that's a little scary. Will place you well for the future top end rebuild.
Harder than flying helicopters on ships, not!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of the GT4 borrowed from Facebook
Attached Images              
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Spokes, here's some inspiration for your 993 with fuch's. You could try a duck and some stripes too? Not sure whether I like it or not? It is growing on me??

I think the rim size and ride height is not right. If it had 17's and a lowered ride with a more old skool stance, can look more the part.
I think I need o find someone to photoshop some fuchs onto my car, black & gold to compare.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Happy to have a crack at it for you, if you can provide a decent profile shot of the car and the wheels you are considering.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
I think I need o find someone to photoshop some fuchs onto my car, black & gold to compare.
So I gather you need a clean shot of a fuch wheel and a clean side on shot of your car? I can provide the wheel photo.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Pics of the GT4 borrowed from Facebook
That's some serious car p*rn right there!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

These were a pretty good deal if you had 3 phase as a quick Google of the specs looks like they require it. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-921305587.htm

http://powerrex.net.au/sl34dx_scissor_lift.php

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?