Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Doug, pics from the weekend are available on the net for download
Attached Images    
Old 07-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Garage almost finished. Just need some good art on the walls and a scissor lift on the floor
Very nice and tidy Jamie, looking good. I only got half way though my garage tidy up and then got busy at work and never finished it.... Need to take some inspiration from yours and finish it off! Thanks
Old 07-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
Interested to hear how you go with the scissor lift. I want to drop engines and gearboxes so not sure if they give clear access.
Have you guys seen these? Seem to be a good answer for low ceilings, maybe a bit pricy but could do a group buy?

<http://www.dannmar.co.nz/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp>
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
Have you guys seen these? Seem to be a good answer for low ceilings, maybe a bit pricy but could do a group buy?

That was the one I was looking at. The critical part is the floor. Apparently the concrete must be steel reinforced and at least 4.5 inches thick. At the extreme you might have to cut out a strip of garage floor and re-lay the concrete. My house was built in 1982. I might be lucky, however I'm guessing this might be an issue. Then again a personal install lifting 911s may have a lower loading as they are rated to lift a vehicle heavier than a Cayenne. Not much point lifting a high vehicle in a low garage roof environment. The other option is to build a new garage on the car pad....now it's getting a tad silly...

Another option is to get industrial sized quality jacks and put the car on Esco stands, which I have already. I think they go up to 24 inches high. The more I think of that the more it makes sense.

Last edited by John McM; 07-13-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier

Looks good. I note floor thickness, but that can be rectified. What is the price.

Scissor lift does look easier to install. Anyone done any research in NZ? I note a couple of options on Trademe - China Made.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Paul can chime in here for NZ. Ive done a fair bit of building here (6 residential homes) and we would typically slab at 100-125mm with mesh reinforcing. Never less than 100mm (4") depending on load/useage. MPa probably more important than thickness truth be told. My guess is that you would have a 100-125mm slap in your garage and that it will be steel reinforced. Lift takes maximum load 2800kg but your car is half that so well within working perimeters. Providing the stud patter, bolt/fastening specs and gross weight of vehicle and lift to an engineer (may be one amongst us on here should quickly conclude if 100mm slab is sufficient for this product and application. Im fairly certain you will find you are ok...
Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im not an engineer but skimming a floor with cement to bring to 120mm is not a solution here. Plating the top surface with steel may be an option to spread load...
Old 07-13-2015, 11:54 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A great day. Thanks to Doug for suggesting it. I did four Playday sessions and 30 laps racing. I'm knackered, in a good way.

Our day started early with BB2 and BB iced up because they were outside. Air temp in first Playday session was 3C. Cold dense air and dry are worth the frigid start.

With BB2 I recorded 1.24.97. The fastest I had done before was. 1.26.26 in the Grinch at the one hour masters. Neil did the fastest time in BB2 that day of 1.25.73. I will neatly write my name in white pen
Awesome stuff - bet you were buzzing afterwards.

With the R I took it easy at first. The best way to describe it is 'alive'. It wants to turn and I need to learn how to keep it straight. 1.19.56 was my best time today and is the fastest I have driven myself at HD. It definitely has more in it, however I want insurance, track pads and track rubber to make it workable. Best Vmax was 202km/hr which is starting to feel a tad fast.
Sensible. Even on PS2s it must be ripping through the in-field.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:10 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

That was the one I was looking at. The critical part is the floor. Apparently the concrete must be steel reinforced and at least 4.5 inches thick. At the extreme you might have to cut out a strip of garage floor and re-lay the concrete. My house was built in 1982. I might be lucky, however I'm guessing this might be an issue. Then again a personal install lifting 911s may have a lower loading as they are rated to lift a vehicle heavier than a Cayenne. Not much point lifting a high vehicle in a low garage roof environment. The other option is to build a new garage on the car pad....now it's getting a tad silly...

Another option is to get industrial sized quality jacks and put the car on Esco stands, which I have already. I think they go up to 24 inches high. The more I think of that the more it makes sense.
Here's the MaxJax's https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...m-install.html
Old 07-14-2015, 02:21 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

For what I want to do and the height of my garage this is what I'll look at doing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...or-lift-7.html

The whole threads worth a read with more pictures earlier but from page 7 gives you an idea of the install.

Great thing about this way is its discrete, you can take it if you leave, doubles as a height adjustable bench and best of all the "munchies" table for when the mates come round for a BBQ
Attached Images     
Old 07-14-2015, 02:26 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Another option is to get 4x2's from Bubba and put the car on its side. I think they go up high enough. The more I think of that the more it makes sense.
Thats the kiwi No8 spirit John
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Tony was seeing a guy in Mt Wellington today re garage hoist options. He has a building project coming up which will hopefully allow a bespoke solution.

Will check in and see what he was recommending.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:53 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Tony was seeing a guy in Mt Wellington today re garage hoist options. He has a building project coming up which will hopefully allow a bespoke solution.

Will check in and see what he was recommending.
Hoists are great as opposed to scissor lifts but more in a workshop IMO than in the family garage. The scissor lifts I like as they're not two whopping great big steel posts in your garage all the time and virtually do most if not all a 2 post hoist will do. The big factor with hoists is ceiling height limitations.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
That was the one I read. Talk about detail oriented. An engineer solution if I ever saw one.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Professional pics of the R from Sunday
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?