Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
John, is there definitely another one? I heard it was just 2, maybe that's 2 NZ cars plus yours? The owner is probably about to upgrade into a GT4.... Find it quick Pete.

Chris, I asked Dean at CCS and he is adamant there is a Meteor Grey one owned by a young Asian in Beachlands.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I won't spoil Chris' reveal (once he decides what to do). But the base is one of the ex Malaysia/Singapore conti cars - gen 1 S manual with a bit of fruit - and some accident damage. A good base to start from.
I'm very tempted to learn from his experience. I could see myself building a moderate build road legal race car. The Americans race modified PDK Rs. I wonder whether it's best to start from a R base or go 987.1?
Old 05-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Douggie. Take it easy on the roads north. I can imagine you both cozying up infront of the fire with a book!

As for the inside skinny on Dean I can honestly say I know nothing more than most of you and I agree that 1). for reasons Doug says above is most likely. Dean is debt free and financially secure plus has 4 months holiday leave owing so I think he has some time up his sleeve to work out the "what's next?". My only wish is that he stays in the motor industry, but he has to do what's best for him and Brigetta in the long run...one thing taht will be nice is spending more time with him when Im back in September as hopefully he wont be rushed off his feet as he usually is and being a "man of leisure" I need all the buddies like that I can get :-)
Dean is a great guy and became a friend in the course of a few cars, we expect him over to visit in Top of S this winter. He was just down to Top of S to service the MT and the GT3. The level of service provided by him and CCS, as Ive described on RT, is outstanding, way better than service in USA.

My guess is Tony will figure out how to continue to deliver, as he doesnt want to cede SI or mobile customers. And Dean will pop up in business once he finshes the house and the car, and relaxes.

Another question for you all - Porsche roadside service is fast nationwide - beyond amazing compared to USA - anyone here have experience with Landrover roadside? I am contemplating a RRS SVR for next year as our station car.

Thanks for any input, and pardon it being slightly off Porsche topic.....
Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I won't spoil Chris' reveal (once he decides what to do). But the base is one of the ex Malaysia/Singapore conti cars - gen 1 S manual with a bit of fruit - and some accident damage. A good base to start from.
I purchased the white Cayman that had an accident at Hampton Downs on Anzac day. 22,000km manual with a few bits such as lsd, upgraded sway bars, lowering springs and Heigo half cage. A bit of damage, but nothing major. Base car is a reasonable spec with PASM and Sport Chrono, but no sport seats, so I need decent seats for when we put in the full MSNZ rollcage.

End game is a Targa (race) and enduro car that's okay for road use, with componentry upgraded to GT4 spec as we go. Car is still coming apart and once that's finished the plan will come together, target being to get it back on the road reasonably quickly and in the first instance replace any parts that are broken with parts orientated towards the end game, eg. control arms, shocks etc.

Lowering springs and Heigo half cage will be available soon!

Looking forward to the NITT with a new toy!
Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 PM
O2GO
Drifting

How exciting Chris. Nice to see you get into rallying with a pcar too!

Watch John start salivating on his next steps ;-)
Old 05-30-2015, 06:13 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Old 05-30-2015, 06:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
How exciting Chris. Nice to see you get into rallying with a pcar too! Watch John start salivating on his next steps ;-)
Indeed I am. There are insufficient funds to race seriously if I'm ever to semi retire, so I'd still have to be measured about this.

The idea of buying the R was to avoid another road car modifications build. It worked in that I got all of the factory research on a turn key basis in what to me is an as new car. The problem is that I vacillate about what to do with it longer term. It's proven to be a fantastic B road car, so much so I'm probably starting to become a bit annoying on the runs, and it does the DD commute with no issues whatsoever, but what do I do with track etc? Herman has the gear to do it, but will never race and I'm mindful of wear and tear on a 25 year old car. The R is too close to a new car to race and is holding its value worldwide. Perversely, if its value was on the decline I'd be less precious. The answer appears to be a Gen 1 3.4 Cayman build. But how much would I spend to get where I am already?

Chris, all that aside will the Heigo fit a 987.2?
Old 05-30-2015, 06:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Dave, being a FB Luddite you may not have seen my post there. This is my Jakarta work colleague. He's interested in knowing more about the SC so he can run with the Singer owner there.
Attached Images     
Old 05-30-2015, 07:09 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Indeed I am. There are insufficient funds to race seriously if I'm ever to semi retire, so I'd still have to be measured about this. The idea of buying the R was to avoid another road car modifications build. It worked in that I got all of the factory research on a turn key basis in what to me is an as new car. The problem is that I vacillate about what to do with it longer term. It's proven to be a fantastic B road car, so much so I'm probably starting to become a bit annoying on the runs, and it does the DD commute with no issues whatsoever, but what do I do with track etc? Herman has the gear to do it, but will never race and I'm mindful of wear and tear on a 25 year old car. The R is too close to a new car to race and is holding its value worldwide. Perversely, if its value was on the decline I'd be less precious. The answer appears to be a Gen 1 3.4 Cayman build. But how much would I spend to get where I am already? Chris, all that aside will the Heigo fit a 987.2?
John, it seems a small step to track the R instead of Herman, unless non-racing track work is boring you vs 2k cup. It's already a track ready car. You just need race pads, fluid and a set of track wheels. Everything else is done. IMO don't destroy your touring luggage capacity with a cage. If not racing you don't need more than the already great safety features built into the car.

A 987.1 would take a lot of work and cost to get it there.

Otherwise, race Hondas and enjoy it as a DD and awesome b-road menace, with only 7/10 track days with Herman alongside Lola "cruisin" so we don't end up having to spend $25k every 3 years on R&M.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Indeed I am. There are insufficient funds to race seriously if I'm ever to semi retire, so I'd still have to be measured about this.

The idea of buying the R was to avoid another road car modifications build. It worked in that I got all of the factory research on a turn key basis in what to me is an as new car. The problem is that I vacillate about what to do with it longer term. It's proven to be a fantastic B road car, so much so I'm probably starting to become a bit annoying on the runs, and it does the DD commute with no issues whatsoever, but what do I do with track etc? Herman has the gear to do it, but will never race and I'm mindful of wear and tear on a 25 year old car. The R is too close to a new car to race and is holding its value worldwide. Perversely, if its value was on the decline I'd be less precious. The answer appears to be a Gen 1 3.4 Cayman build. But how much would I spend to get where I am already?

I was and still am tempted to build an older 986 Boxster S 3.2 into a track/targa car. Hardest part is finding a hard top in NZ. Can get base car for $20 -25k.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I purchased the white Cayman that had an accident at Hampton Downs on Anzac day. 22,000km manual with a few bits such as lsd, upgraded sway bars, lowering springs and Heigo half cage. A bit of damage, but nothing major. Base car is a reasonable spec with PASM and Sport Chrono, but no sport seats, so I need decent seats for when we put in the full MSNZ rollcage.

End game is a Targa (race) and enduro car that's okay for road use, with componentry upgraded to GT4 spec as we go. Car is still coming apart and once that's finished the plan will come together, target being to get it back on the road reasonably quickly and in the first instance replace any parts that are broken with parts orientated towards the end game, eg. control arms, shocks etc.

What fun, very cool Chris. Definitely keep the updates coming... Maybe set up a build thread for us to follow.

Great base car to start from too.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ

That's pretty exciting Chris. I guess it is being tended to in Pirongia? Sigh....... You see that Orange thing getting dusty in the corner? It was there first, OK?..........
Old 05-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Im wanting to shake you awake!

The R is the perfect all use car. Forget the value in the UK. My 991 GT3 would fetch over $300,000 NZD used with 12,000km on it in the UK. In NZ its a depreciating car! Just like your Cayman R I am afraid. More so when used GT4 start hitting the market I suspect. Just use it all up and squeeze every ounce of enjoyment and value from it. Its already proven the perffect B road and DD car and as Doug says all you need is some pads and fluid and some tyres and you can find out how the other half are living down at the pointy end of the stick at the race track. Its not an overly expensive vehicle to have on the track (worth less than a number of 964 & 993 these days) and as long as you are insured all will be well.

To worry over its value after you just bought it is nonsense. You can rest assured it aint going to be a problem time soon in the NZ market. If if it were join everyone with an aircooled in this dilemma.

Herman is old and never going to be much quicker. Deserves a little holiday like my old girl. The new gear is quick, safe and low cost per track KM. Fun to play with for a while, maybe bring Herman out to play again in a year or two when you are bored tracking the Cayman R.

All IMO of course and no offence meant...
Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im starting to worry about the stability of those Caymans when driven fast aye.

On 28 April the Cayman S, 200m in front of me spun in the wet and did all four corners at HD (and will now become Chris B Targa car *****).
Then on 17 May the Cayman R behind me on the Targa Tour Bambino did some farming. Last year the CCS Cayman S in front of Chris B on the TT (it was the lead pace car) went off the road into a paddock!
Maybe Im attracting the bad cayman JuJU
Im a bit worried for when I get the GT4 guys. Seriously! :-)
Old 05-30-2015, 08:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
I was and still am tempted to build an older 986 Boxster S 3.2 into a track/targa car. Hardest part is finding a hard top in NZ. Can get base car for $20 -25k.
There are any number of 987.1 3.4 Caymans in the UK that could probably come in just under $40k, but having been there done that on the C4, I know how quickly costs escalate, unless you are willing to leave it largely as is. That's why I bought the R. I think I need to find some track wheels and tyres so I can track the R. It's not easy to find the right wheels secondhand in NZ so it may require a shopping session at Tirerack for a wheel/tyre package.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?