Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
We are starting to like it a lot. Much better than a mid size sedan for long hauls but challenging in city streets and car parks. Next it will have a name and I will search trademe for one back home....average consumption so far 6.6 L / 100.
How many kids do you actually own Dave?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually I can see that van being really useful on NITT for spares ;-)
Old 07-10-2015, 03:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I know Alk house prices is a boring topic, and they are due to mellow out with the current China/HK stock market crash. But........ talking to my broker today, you can now get money at 4.6% for 1-2 yrs, that's a percent cheaper than 6 months ago. I am being told to fix short at the moment (6mths) as some are expecting interest rates that can be negotiated into the very low 4's (I think this would be the cheapest money in a 100yrs?) All those property drug addicts are just about to get a new huge whiff of the crack pipe, now that Mum and Pop can put another hundie on the house for the same repayment money. This is going to go nuclear when it turns sour??
If it wasn't for the Bays bubble lifestyle we enjoy we would sell into this madness. Many Dairy farmers' costs are higher than their income and the milk solids price is still going down. That will impact on the economy. China Stockmarket is sick, which will dampen their demand for our property. Property doesn't go down smoothly, it gaps. It could be free fall. Maybe I should put more pressure on the family. I can see early retirement looming.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think you are the only one left having that conversation Paul....:-(
Old 07-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
If it wasn't for the Bays bubble lifestyle we enjoy we would sell into this madness. Many Dairy farmers' costs are higher than their income and the milk solids price is still going down. That will impact on the economy. China Stockmarket is sick, which will dampen their demand for our property. Property doesn't go down smoothly, it gaps. It could be free fall. Maybe I should put more pressure on the family. I can see early retirement looming.
Sage advice. Anyway you read the indicators the NZ economy is munted for the foreseeable future. Going to get a lt worse on the currency and GDP front before it get better IMO. The only light is the property market being fuelled by immigration, which history has taught us goes in cycles and which this time looks like an even bigger house of cards than before when the music stops. If I were in property in NZ I think I would be removing chips from the table over the next 12 months. When the **** hits the fan cash is king...
Old 07-10-2015, 03:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The NZD could well be at 0.58 USD within 12 months I reckon. Safe haven currencies are in demand again and if the Fed finally start ramping their OCR it will come on stronger than I think many anticipated. Problem is every major commodities currency including the Yuan is falling at at least the same rate which means nothing in NZ is appearing cheaper unless you are a USD buyer. Exports sold in USD will benefit. Not alot else. I think we will start to see an exodus of qualified labor again within 24 months. Why work in NZ for 80K NZD pa paying off a $600,000 mortgage on a 1,000,000 NZD shoe box when you can earn $150K USD offshore, pay the same tax and if moving to states, Asia or Europe can likely by the same lifestyle for half the capital outlay? Jobs in UAE and on the Rigs, UN, EU etc will become in favour again. Once the skilled labour leaves NZ that leaves the elderly, the infirm, the children and the unemployed to pay for the central services. There will also be the Landlords (due to LAQC and clever gearing they will pay little or no tax). This will be the beginning of the class system my parents left UK in 1968 to escape. The good news is most will of those on here will be too old to feel the full effects of NZ becoming its future self. Unfortunately not true for ones offspring....
Old 07-10-2015, 04:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My point is not house pirces - it's that money is cheapening by 1 to 1.5%, that tells us the RB think we are heading for some serous trouble..........
Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

My point is not house pirces - it's that money is cheapening by 1 to 1.5%, that tells us the RB think we are heading for some serous trouble..........
Unfortunately when that trouble happens the NZRB will have little in the way of economic instruments left to alleviate the pressure and stimulate the economy!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Well more so the market is saying that. Swap rates will be leading the drop. International markets trying to invest in NZ through giving term money to local banks, who then have to on lend it.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:58 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Concerning news.... At 32 I fear the scenario of an ageing population thats done the heavy lifting the last 25 years, and rightfully entitled to superannuation and healthcare I'm not sure we can afford/sustain.

Im fairly heavily into industrial/commercial property, become dissatisfied with it, considered selling but frankly don't see a better alternative.

Most developments no longer stack up, you've got guys out there doing stuff for 7% yield....

Have spent the past 18 months on a residential one, was good getting the capital gain, but what now, the rising tide has floated all boats, yet sitting with money on TD is not an option either...
Old 07-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PCNZ Track Day on 18 July max numbers have been lifted to 48.

Currently have 45 people signed up (nice you see you on the list Michael)

So this is going to be a BIG day with this number of Pcars out there..........

Looking forward to it.
Thanks mate, can't wait for it and it's great there's a good turnout. Hopefully there'll be a couple of newbies I can circulate with. Looking at the list there weren't too many names I don't recognise though.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Obsessed
Pro

This is going to go nuclear when it turns sour??
I'm just waiting for Porsches ex-Auckland to be a dime a dozen
Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Dave too bad you're out of town? http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=915167591
Old 07-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Twenty years ago... I thanked the NZ Govt for the four degrees and eigth & half years university education they subsidised & look my leave of the shaky isles. A bit of time in the NZ legal profession was all the work experience I needed to know that I didn't fit into a "small pond environment".

When asked about NZ by others I always reply it's a beautiful place & a superb place to grow-up & a superb place in which to retire... bit it's a difficult place in which to build financial independence. If you're already financially established - then it's basically a beautifull playground, especially if you're a sporty or outdoorsy type.

But be under no elusion...to replicate a good NZ lifestyle in UK requires a minimum household income of £500K+ ($NZ1m pa). Real Estate where I'm at is £1000+/sq ft, you'll need a nanny if you're both working & have kids (£50k pa), nursery (£12k+ per child pa), schools (£20k - 30k per child pa) you'll want a pad in the country even if you're lucky enough to have a small garden in your central London flat (£500K +) & everytime you want to go to a nice beach, go skiing or go boating/watersports - you'll need to go abroad to do it.

You'll end up living for your holidays rather than having adventure-filled weekends.

Bottom line - every place has its compromises - and different places will suit people at different stages in their lives. It's a question of prioritities & choosing which compromises you're most prepared to make.
Tim
Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Geesus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for quite some time and thought it was about time to say hi on this board.
I'm from Central Auckland but moved to London just over a year ago as work opportunities were too good here in London.
I'm on the hunt for a 996 Turbo or ideally a 996/997 GT3 (but these are a little out of my budget at the moment in the U.K, and with Porsche prices continuing to climb in the U.K I fear they'll always be out of reach.)

I'm torn between trying to buy one in the U.K or keep trawling through Trademe.
There's tonnes on Pistonheads, but a manual 996 turbo with less than 60,000 miles is now North of £40,000.
There's a nice silver 996 Turbo on trademe with 64,000km on the clock for $73,995. Its sat for a while though?

Does anyone know where the Dark blue 2003 X50 996 Turbo with factory Aero ended up? It was only on Trademe for 3 days at $75,000 in mid May before it disappeared. Plate was 911X50 and the seller was jmkc in Auckland.
Looked a lovely car and spec from the photos and for the price far better than anything I can find here in the U.K for similar money.

There was also a Black 2002 996 GT2 for sale for a few months back at the start of the year on Trademe. It was listed for $95,000 and had traveled 46,000km. The seller was listed as based in Blenheim.
That same car turned up on Pistonheads a month or two back listed with DK Engineering for £110,000
http://www.dkeng.co.uk/ferrari-sales...rsche_911.html

Judging by the NZ prices and maybe with the NZD dropping against the £, am I better to try and find a car in NZ and sit on it for 6 months and then try and bring it to the U.K to enjoy?

Does anyone know of anyone in NZ tempted to part with their 996 Turbo or 996/997 GT2/3?
Do I keep trawling Trademe or do you guys have a secret brotherhood of cars for sale? 😃

Thanks in advance for the help.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?