Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Touché. And other aids like auto blipping too of course . Risk is an interesting thing. My Turbo came up on TradeMe when I was looking at an Ultima GTR there. Four things put me off the Ultima.

Firstly, it was the base 530HP version and I knew I'd always be wanting at least the 720.
Secondly, it was too compromised on road - overheating concerns in jams, too low to get around, a multipoint harness to get in and out of, no ABS or airbags, and untested for crashworthiness. One pranged while street racing a Lambo in South Africa and only the Lambo driver survived.
Thirdly, it was too low for real world traffic, meaning it would be slower up the motorway during the day than most of our Porsches.
Fourth, and lastly, as a strict two-seater it would be harder to get past the goalkeeper.

Then my 996 Turbo came up as a GFC fire sale. I probably wouldn't have considered a Tip if I hadn't already learned to get the most out of my automatic 928 by left foot braking etc and been happy with the outcome. It also helped that the owner demoed it with a spontaneous autocross through a new and uninhabited subdivision.

There's very little performance penalty, even if Porsche sandbagged the figures for the 996 generation Tips. The 996 Turbo's Tiptronic S is smarter and more responsive than the earlier Tiptronics, and especially when it's driven hard. In three or four PCNZ sprints, a driver training day, a gymkhana, a Targa sprint day and three track days at different tracks, it's only disappointed me once with its choice of gear (though I will select for it manually at times beforehand). That one time was when I lifted off coming up to the HD sweeper to allow slower traffic to hold their line and it decided to change up. Not a problem really since I was still going pretty straight and she has mountains of torque to take her through the turn a gear up, but it just meant being ready to relax the steering momentarily as she changed down again to her normal T10 gear on exit.

Yes I'd prefer a manual on track, but in Auckland rush hour traffic they are a drag, as reconfirmed with BB2 recently. And on Targa, and more so on back road runs, having both hands on the wheel just makes sense. You can never quite know what going on around the next corner, whether it's a tractor pulling out of a farm gate, a horse and rider or whatever.

As for hairy chests, they went out with Nuvolari in my book (pre-80s Formula One and Group B rallying being notable exceptions) . Going back further, a racer from the early 1900s would argue that we're all woossies because we're not even manually regulating our timing advance. Though dropping him into the yellow terror with 500 HP and no PSM might make him think twice about that. I would challenge anyone who's willing and able to underwrite repairs to punt mine fast around HD and then tell me they didn't see God at some point around the circuit. I once went passenger on track with someone who said they'd never had any loose 'moments' in their car and I let them know I probably have about one per lap!

Hear, hear - we are spoiled for choice right now. But if I'm picking up a tired 2018 GT2/3/4/5 or whatever in 2030, I still want it to be a driver's car rather than a nana's car. I want Porsche to keep building PORSCHES, and they're drifting away from that.
Like I said. Given the choice I suspect most of us around here would choose a manual, 2WD atmo engined 8000++ rpm 911.

The death knoll sounded for Porsches sports cars IMO when Wonderking Fcuked up the take over and it became a reversal. Piech's number finally came up. PAG are now trading on memories of the past. Look at the Martini stripes you can buy in their catalogue for your new Carrera. Whats that all about? When you stop leading and start following retro trends of others thats when you know you are on the back foot. How else can you explain Magnus Walker hook up with PAG? They need him more than he needs them, hes a "youth marketers" wet dream.

I figure moving forward you either go backwards or you look to limited volume manufactures making niche market products. The only exceptions I would point out would be GT iteration cars if they can keep the formulae true, but even as a recent customer for such cars Im not confident (the GT3 gets you most of the way there but the GT4 is cheaper with a tick in the manual box but misses out on the special high rpm engine which is another loss of an emotional tick in the box).

If only the damn Speciale were cheaper :-). Mind you the British low volume producers are doing a pretty sterling job right now of producing some seriously interesting kit for the track. Or else we are back to older 911s. No that it really matters as few of us are driving them to their full potential in any case, so plenty of fun to be had for a while yet...
Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by esonefour
A bit of a drive day last week, some awesome photos to add.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/snoozi...7651919951258/
P.S. Good to see some "outlaw" stuff going on including some interesting 964 wheel options!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walt I might add in my POV the only place I miss a manual is on a fast back road run. Without running at insane speeds the manual offers more interaction and keeps you attentive. It's one of the reasons I selected the 993 for Targa duty. On the track there is no doubt the automated box is quicker and more mechanically sympathetic leaving your hands in the wheel and freeing some mental space for lines and braking zones. In the traffic or around town no one will deny a manual 911 can be hard work. Thats my opinion anyway...
Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This took a little while to happen but someone on APs team confirmed it over a year ago. The new GT3-R will run the 9a1 engine found in the GT3 & GT3RS finally given motorsports credence back to the GT3 brand finally!

http://sportscar365.com/gt/new-porsc...na-2016-debut/
Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Walt I might add in my POV the only place I miss a manual is on a fast back road run. Without running at insane speeds the manual offers more interaction and keeps you attentive. It's one of the reasons I selected the 993 for Targa duty. On the track there is no doubt the automated box is quicker and more mechanically sympathetic leaving your hands in the wheel and freeing some mental space for lines and braking zones. In the traffic or around town no one will deny a manual 911 can be hard work. Thats my opinion anyway...
Porsches for courses:
Long distance travel with people and luggage = Auto Cayenne every day of the week
Daily commute = PDK R (try inching along in a C4 for 7kms or getting a Cayenne into narrow parking spots)
Winding roads with no traffic = C4 or R, but likely the R
Track = C4 or R, but likely the C4 right now because it's set up for that.

I'm relatively ambivalent about the choice of box. As long as it doesn't detract from the driving experience I'm happy with it. I really can't see why people get worked up about it. On PH you could fill 10 pages with the debate. Almost as bad as the 964 vs 993 debate on the RL 964 page.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone had much experience on these Bride seats? Mike from Prosport imports them from Japan...
Attachment 934921
Otherwise what brands should I be looking at for the CR? Something for targa and track but worthy of sitting in a porsche.

Last edited by Moochier; 08-26-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Anyone had much experience on these Bride seats? Mike from Prosport imports them from Japan...
Attachment 934921
Otherwise what brands should I be looking at for the CR? Something for targa and track but worthy of sitting in a porsche.
Bride are about the best Japanese brand out there. Not often seen in Porsches but good kit from what I hear. I think Macca or someone got some carbon seats from a Taiwanese outfit that they were also happy with.

Macca is probably your go to guy for ideas on seats generally, if they are to be dual purpose road-race. If pure race, then NZ's own Racetech is hard to beat IMO. Or if money is burning a hole in your pocket, some GT2RS carbons might be nice.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. Given time restraints Bride or Racetech would be my preference as both available off the shelf locally. The seats We have in the 993 are from Boarder in Taiwan who make seats for Bride I believe. Racetech have some good offerings and you can sit in them before you buy and have them figure out the side mounts and brackets. If you were blueskying this you would almost certainly look at Recaro as they provide seats for race Porsches and have some nice options. Something like their Pole Position would work very well for you given your height and build and although they are more expensive they will look good in the car and the Recaro brand is synominous with Porsche. Retro in Auckland are one of the agents but in not sure they carry much in stock. Side mounts and sliders are part of the equation too of course. For the Targa you won't create enough lateral G to notice much but for the track they are useful if you wish to run a harness....
Old 05-07-2015, 04:09 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Attachment 934921
Jessica recommends the GT3 Carbon seats:
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Jessica recommends the GT3 Carbon seats:
That's cruel Jake. Those are pretty much the OE seats, which are $$$$$$$.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:12 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That's cruel Jake. Those are pretty much the OE seats, which are $$$$$$$.
Having mentioned them, does anyone have any GT2RS Carbons I could sit in try for size sometime? Not something I'd try to slip past the goalie right now but if I go mad and get into five figures on a used set sometime down the track I'd really want to know they weren't as ridiculously narrow across the shoulders as the sports seats in the Turbo.

BTW have chucked a (too long but start halfway down otherwise) report up for our RSG 2KCuppers. The TLDR version is that starting from pole on a reverse grid means you go out hard then later run a pretty defensive race, working to minimise the number of faster cars that get past you. And the only cars in front of you are either faster (since they already got past, and they included some Celicas) or sick, like George's 4th gear only Lantis at the end. Still massive fun - even if most of the race action is in the rear view mirror - but it gets you thinking about how to get more speed out of your car. I also called one of the fastest Integra Si drivers while writing up some ideas and got important setup tips on alignment which should help for the upcoming Dunlop 800. He commented too that there seemed to be quite a power gap between cars like his JDM Si and our VTiRs, since an Si just pulls past the Celicas down the straights. I suspect most of the speed difference comes down to alignment and the Si's freer flowing exhaust though.

Last edited by 996tnz; 05-07-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jessica is from Essex.

Those copies are made by a few manufacturers. They can be had relatively cheaply and would provide a possible solution for Chris but not before the targa next week.

GT2RS seats? Ill call them 7.2 GT3 one piece. Im assuming you are referring to the fixed bucket seat like the one Jessica is fondling? They are fairly narrow Walt and your a fairly big unit so I wouldnt imagine they would be comfortable for long. By way of comparison the folding "GT2RS buckets" in John's R and my GT3 are wider at both the hip and the shoulder. If you find those acceptable you may find the single piece buckets too small. the new 918 style bucket is wider in base and shoulder than the 997 GT3 one piece bucket. That said the one piece 997.2 GT3 buckets arent too made across the waste and will work for anyone 38" or smaller. The shoulder however is quite narrow.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tidy! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-885265027.htm
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Nice spotting! Probably the best SC Ive seen on paper in years. NZ new, low mileage, nice spec and seemingly condition, service history and fair price (assuming you can negotiate it into the mid 50s) . Doubt that will last beyond the end of the day!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Touché. And other aids like auto blipping too of course . Risk is an interesting thing. My Turbo came up on TradeMe when I was looking at an Ultima GTR there. Four things put me off the Ultima.

Firstly, it was the base 530HP version and I knew I'd always be wanting at least the 720.
haha Walt you are a corrupt man. 720hp is plain scary and you say 'at least'

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?