Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive clipped a lap from that session below (slow out of T10 on that one not sure why) along with a lap before spinning and the lap I spun. I figure may as well air the dirty laundry around here!
Impressed with that AIM camera data overlay, and with the speed you're carrying in the GT3. Your interior does look fairly dark on on the clip but with your silver spoked steering wheel that doesn't matter. I'm obviously keeping good company as I reviewed my own T10 spin several times last night too. Will see if I can upload it somewhere.

First world problems for me today as I see Paul advertising the PCNZ Gymkhana for 23rd May. Who's got a good angle on that for my wife? By then I'll have done about 4 or 5 days of racing and a track day in the preceding few months, plus a 3-day Targa tour the weekend before - an embarassment of riches after leaner driving times last year. Already offered to look after the kids for a weekend in between and have her go anywhere in the country, but no take up. I've been hanging out for that next gymkhana for too long now. She's just had a shiny new Samsung toy but I reckon I'll owe her a new value proposition for that. It's important to know your traction limits so I'm not counting on making it right now. Any secret recipes out there?

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-29-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:45 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Impressed with that AIM camera data overlay, and with the speed you're carrying in the GT3. Your interior does look fairly dark on on the clip but with your silver spoked steering wheel that doesn't matter. I'm obviously keeping good company as I reviewed my own T10 spin several times last night too. Will see if I can upload it somewhere.
Careful mate, you're on the verge of joining a social network! You, Pete and Dave could always create a closed one of your own, free from "the kids" and Big Brother Alternatively you could all post as Diana B...
Old 04-29-2015, 02:05 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nzskater
Careful mate, you're on the verge of joining a social network! You, Pete and Dave could always create a closed one of your own, free from "the kids" and Big Brother Alternatively you could all post as Diana B...
Or I'll just flick it to you and you can post it as Diana

If it's as addictive as racing though I'm screwed...
Old 04-29-2015, 02:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Walter. By the way we should call you "Waterboy" I reckon :-)

Actually I dont know why those were my fastest laps of the day. I was coming down the straight less than 200kmph and T1 & T10 was a botch. Probably because the track was drying out. The GT3 is no GTR or TT when the track is wet.

My first time out in it was a single "test" session in winter July 2014 with road pressures. The comparison below is interesting. Its filmed on a Sony at 1080HD with a different mount. The GT3 was much faster when the tyres were newish and the track was cold but dry. I still haven't beaten that single lonely session. It was very consistent to for 5 laps....

The tyres have definitely fallen off the grip cliff now as they are factory fitted ones - almost two years old with 11,000 km under them, 5 track days - still have 4.7mm out of 8mm (new) tread all round this morning - Dean says they have fossilised!

Id confess the driver hasnt improved any over that period Im afraid!

The AIM is only 720HD and trades quality for telemetry, automated use, incredible build quality and simplicity. I just turn the car on and drive and it records 16 hrs on a 64gb card - simply pop it out and no manipulation needed. Ive just updated the software to get rid of the mic hum (now manual gain) and I did have it set to spot meter which makes the interior darker but I thought this may be better on a rainy day - perhaps Ill try the other settings next time. I just love having the telemetry data. I hardly use the AIM Solo Race studio for the traces - for some reason I can better learn when Im watching the videos - I always pick up half a dozen mistakes each session.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:10 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the verge of doing it.... Dave, how about it - take that step together mate?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:18 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'm on the verge of doing it.... Dave, how about it - take that step together mate?
For my part, I'm just looking at videohosting at the mo. I'll probably try DailyMotion first - not quite as slick as YouTube but I like their policies better.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

P.S. John - the AIM Solo was working fine - it was user interface error and it did capture all the laps. However the day before recorded my last session as a single lap. It was my quickest after the track started drying out so took some painstaking dissection to break out the lap times.

Most impressive car and driver of the day for me was Leong and his M5CP. The car is a torque miester. It simply defies physics. In the dry it must be a weapon on the straights, and it doesn't appear shabby in the corners either, however this is where the 911s shine when the sun is out. I not sure on the ultimate lap times for your M5 Leong but the GT4 is going to have a tall bar to hurdle on turn of speed alone. Well driven too. It must be hard on tyres and brakes tho?

Waterboy and his TT wave machine always impresses too. As do all the 4WD turbo machines when the going gets tough (Chris B comes to mind). When the rest of us are skidding and sliding and backing off the 996TT driver can keep their foot in it and lean on that front end a bit more. Without doubt very impressive to watch....
Old 04-29-2015, 02:24 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Nice reading your feedback and seeing a few pictures. Being my first day back in the seat at HD since my damaging off in August last year I was a bit apprehensive with the wet conditions, took it pretty gently and loved it. Signed up for NITT and looking forward to the Targa Bambina Tour in just a couple of weeks.

Thanks so much to those that did all the hard work behind the scenes organising it all and Mandy and Steve for letting us lose in your apartment.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:28 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't be a P**fter
Old 04-29-2015, 03:32 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Photo's from my camera, apologies for the lack of focus. http://go.shr.lc/1JQcxej
And cutting off the SC
Old 04-29-2015, 03:43 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Yeah, gotta stop doing that. Buggered if I know how to use it but her friends are asking her about her new interest in Porsches. I must be doing it all wrong if the whole world can see what she's (I'm) doing.....oh wait, that's Facebook for you. I am a luddite but I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth yet.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Don't be a P**fter
Too late mate - I already have a boxster with a roof
Old 04-29-2015, 04:17 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Too late mate - I already have a boxster with a roof
Its alright Pete, I once had an MX5, might have been 6 or 7 of them but I was young and still finding myself.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default Walt's 911 Turbo (996) spin at Hampton Downs Turn 10

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I'm obviously keeping good company as I reviewed my own T10 spin several times last night too. Will see if I can upload it somewhere.

UPDATE: DailyMotion have pulled the below clip for some reason. Waiting to hear back from them but since no blood, swearing or the like was in it, I'm at a loss to figure out why. Will post it again when that's sorted. The (broken) link is below - will leave it there for now in case they bring it back to life:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2odu8w_walt-996-turbo-wet-spin-hampton-downs-t10-28-4-2015_auto________________________________________________

Almost saved it - should probably have given it less steering and more gas after the initial catch. At the time though I was already pretty happy just to keep it on track and slow it down.

It started because I fed power in a little too early and heavily in an effort to hang with the guys on R-comps. The moment the rears lose traction the revs surge up and she steps out. Once the back had started sliding off the narrow drier racing line and the front had to follow to catch the initial oversteer, options were pretty limited as traction just plummeted.

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-29-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Pete asked the question so I had to look at objective data. The engine management system change as is would appear to have made little difference to power. The faster time is Steve in November 2013 versus me yesterday. Clearly, based on that and the Black tail pipe there's a need to check AFRs.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?