Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I already apologised to the other driver so have to accept this wasn't my best driving on the day. Lesson is go around the outside.

That said, watch the Vtec do its business
Old 05-02-2015, 07:45 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I already apologised to the other driver so have to accept this wasn't my best driving on the day. Lesson is go around the outside.
Difficult to see from the inboard but it looked you had overtaken him and were in front?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Difficult to see from the inboard but it looked you had overtaken him and were in front?
I was in front and was overtaken a few laps before this in exactly the same way, however the CRO told me I was in the wrong. Maybe the racers can tell me exactly why? I suspect as I was late braking it's classed as diving. That Levin seemed to have weird lines but maintain grip in corners. Poetic justice in that he finished two places ahead of me.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must say it looked that way to me too. You outbraked him into the corner, but you stayed on your brakes when he eased off his and he drew level again and turned across your nose and into your path, where you collected him. From that angle anyway, that's how it appears. A bird's eye view would be definitive. The previous lap that white car also sawed its way around turn 1 on a fairly strange line too I noticed.

That said, it was a pretty aggressive dive by 2KCup standards. Should've been fine though if you'd carried a little more speed through to make it stick cleanly, I reckon. His late cut in was even more reckless but both drivers have a responsibility to avoid colliding and I guess that was still possible at that late stage. What did the CRO say exactly, and do you know what was said to the other party?

Off to pack my gear for tomorrow now so will check back later.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Leong72
Hey Chris, not sure where you get them from, but I'm interested too, so perhaps we can share shipping costs?
Hey Leong, I did a quick look this morning on a site to see if the AIM could be connected to a gopro, as I already have on of those... But it appears that they may only be compatible with their own camera. Anyone know more details on this? I'll have to research some more, but yeah keen to group buy so let's keep in touch on that.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I also see that however the mitigating thing for the other guy is that you hit him in the rear quarter. So I suppose that's always the car behinds 'fault'
Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt38088
Need a push for Targa Bambina?? try this vid. from 2010. 7th home in Modern. (different classes then) Last year on Bambina everyone raved about the Manawahe stage. It had been shortened from that run in prior years so here is the full fat stage. We had a blown gasket in the turbo uppipe so were losing boost so were trying hard to maintain momentum and carry speed. charged over a crest at around 17m 30 secs knowing it was straight but underestimated the air on the subsequent jump. Result was a seriously gauged sump guard and the front bumper hanging on by the safety cable ties.
Targa Rotorua 2010 SS6 Manawahe Braemar Big jump - YouTube
That's a nice stage! Looks great fun, nicely cambered corners etc... Thanks for sharing the vid, might be enough of a push... Just need to find a co driver.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:19 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Neil's accident is another learning point. The right pads wore faster than the left ones. The upshot is that we need to go into long races with new pads. The question is how much we spend on them. I will help Walter prepare tomorrow. A good excuse to take the R for a run.
ducting to cool brakes is the answer. might cut pad wear by 30%. I once hit a cat or similar small animal on targa which pulled off my ducting on one side and the pad wear relative to the other side was very noticeable
Old 05-02-2015, 08:21 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moochier
That's a nice stage! Looks great fun, nicely cambered corners etc... Thanks for sharing the vid, might be enough of a push... Just need to find a co driver.
bound to be a RSG volunteer around??
Old 05-02-2015, 08:33 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
ducting to cool brakes is the answer. might cut pad wear by 30%. I once hit a cat or similar small animal on targa which pulled off my ducting on one side and the pad wear relative to the other side was very noticeable
It would be, but non factory ducts are not allowed for 2KCup, where they try to keep the cars as standard as possible, down to tyre sizes, factory suspension arms with no shims etc. Non adjustable shocks, springs, brake pads and fluids are free, but not much else is, not even aero.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Must say it looked that way to me too. You outbraked him into the corner, but you stayed on your brakes when he eased off his and he drew level again and turned across your nose and into your path, where you collected him. From that angle anyway, that's how it appears. A bird's eye view would be definitive. The previous lap that white car also sawed its way around turn 1 on a fairly strange line too I noticed.

That said, it was a pretty aggressive dive by 2KCup standards. Should've been fine though if you'd carried a little more speed through to make it stick cleanly, I reckon. His late cut in was even more reckless but both drivers have a responsibility to avoid colliding and I guess that was still possible at that late stage. What did the CRO say exactly, and do you know what was said to the other party?

Off to pack my gear for tomorrow now so will check back later.
CRO and the Clerk of the course said they became aware of the incident after the race and after viewing the footage I would have received a drive through penalty if they had caught it live. They had already spoken to the other car. Based on the fact I had already apologized there was no sanction. I didn't think to have a further conversation as I wasn't being sanctioned.

For today, you have a lot better position that I did. Qualifying the 10th fastest car in 17th is a world of pain. You should be front of grid and that vtec gives you the power to keep ahead. Just watch for the divers !
Old 05-02-2015, 03:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I could say the same about the kids..........
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2015, 04:43 PM
sp1ked
Instructor

I was in front and was overtaken a few laps before this in exactly the same way, however the CRO told me I was in the wrong. Maybe the racers can tell me exactly why? I suspect as I was late braking it's classed as diving. That Levin seemed to have weird lines but maintain grip in corners. Poetic justice in that he finished two places ahead of me.
John I had a read of the GTRNZ newsletter in the 2kcup Dropbox with the MSNZ rules. I was looking to see if I was in the wrong on my contact. It looks like I was too. It basically says that car B coming up the inside has to give car A space if car A are holding their line. Few exceptions but I will be making sure the other driver has either seen me, or it's very obvious I'm braking a lot later, before I do it again.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Looked like a great battle up until the contact John; I'm sure you would have had him eventually. The lines were interesting, and I had no idea you were carrying so much speed through the corners; at times I'd be surprised if you were braking at all!

I'm going to head down to CCS to take a look at the Fezzas before they Head off, hopefully see a few of you there.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

What time for the Ferari's? At Broadway dealership I suppose.

Nice footage John. You were charging for sure. I am a bit bummed I passed on the day but too much important stuff on yesterday to even contemplate (secondary school option's interviews) and winter sports coming out our ears today.

Can't wait to get out there and just showing my wife the in car footage this morning I said I'm definitely getting out there 4 july for the big one and she said............"but we will be in Europe in July won't we?" Absolutely gutted.

Count me in for the fix up working bee.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?