Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What? - you never hear this when you are married...........

I'm guessing you are alluding to budget...........

I understand the front runners run fresh rubber each event.

You will need to budget this $1,500 each round to be further up the pack........

So - basic 44 running budget just tipped over $20K p/a. ($35K if you break something or want to upgrade..........)
Yeah but being realistic - and allowing 2 sets of 214's per season, the budget is around $1,500 per round all up for consumables, race support, fuel - + $500 for away rounds.

So for me it was close to $10k for 5 rounds (I didn't make it to Manfield).

Breakages and longer term maintenance are extra - this year we refreshed the engine, rebuilt the diff and and one 'on track' incident with relatively minor damage. Prev year we did new clutch and refreshed front suspension.

Nothing major planned for upcoming enduros except new tyres and brake consumables. Have started making a list of weight reductions and will get a sense of priority $/weight saving ratio over the winter. If between the car and me we can shed 100kgs then I'd be really happy.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:21 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ Above is based on running cross entry with NZGT at 3-4 of those rounds
Old 04-06-2015, 01:08 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Havnt done the sums , but some breakages and repairs as well as tyres ,brakes and teething problems still don't outweigh the pleasure, friendship and adrenaline rush of driving in race. Addictive , yes and such fun as long as the true costs aren't too obvious to she who holds the purse stings. Worth every cent, as are the ones we are spending in Koh Samui for a beautiful wedding with family and friends. That's why we work so hard isn't it?
Just do it!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
^^^ Above is based on running cross entry with NZGT at 3-4 of those rounds
Congrats on the race win Peter. Everyone in the stands was cheering you on as you came up to the finish line. Exciting!! We went up onto the embankment after that then David got bored so we headed home before the last races.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:25 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Havnt done the sums , but some breakages and repairs as well as tyres ,brakes and teething problems still don't outweigh the pleasure, friendship and adrenaline rush of driving in race. Addictive , yes and such fun as long as the true costs aren't too obvious to she who holds the purse stings. Worth every cent, as are the ones we are spending in Koh Samui for a beautiful wedding with family and friends. That's why we work so hard isn't it?
Just do it!
+1 - You say it so much better than I do!

Originally Posted by Leong72
Congrats on the race win Peter. Everyone in the stands was cheering you on as you came up to the finish line. Exciting!! We went up onto the embankment after that then David got bored so we headed home before the last races.
Cheers Leong - that was an exciting race from the drivers seat and half a car length in it at the flag. Sadly it didn't last though as I was penalised 10 seconds for breaking out of the handicap time in that very last lap. I was 1.2 seconds better than my previous best and the allowance is only 1 second. So relegated to 4th. The second placed car was also penalised - so in hindsight I should have lifted and won outright (unfortunately that's not in our DNA)!! Never mind - the thrill of the moment was worth it!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

woohoo race win Pete! makes those bill less painful I bet
Old 04-06-2015, 01:32 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

are you running in car lap timing to know if you are up or down on target time? suppose in the heat of the moment you wouldn't be looking at that anyway
Old 04-06-2015, 01:35 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
are you running in car lap timing to know if you are up or down on target time? suppose in the heat of the moment you wouldn't be looking at that anyway
Yes - running the AIM in predictive mode but a) I wasn't looking at it and b) with a car on your tail and the line in sight it would have made no difference anyway
Old 04-06-2015, 01:52 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
- so in hindsight I should have lifted and won outright (unfortunately that's not in our DNA)!! Never mind - the thrill of the moment was worth it!
Even if you're racing for points I think it would it'd be a shame to lift off for the "technical" win. It looked like you drove a good race, keeping your pace up, not making any mistakes to get you into the position you were at the end of the race. You got the moral victory and one the fans will remember. (Errr.., who finished third? Might have been Rob?). The thrill of the moment was definitely worth it despite the technicalities. Well done !!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:23 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Ha, full spotter points!

Here are some ones Conti's took a while ago as I haven't taken any good ones yet.
That one sexy car Stuart. I saw this the other week up at Ray Haslar's and thought it was one of the best looking cars I'd seen for a while.

When your time has come with it, please put my name at the top of your list. Seriously!

Look forward to seeing it out there.... And you of course!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 AM
PHG
Racer

Pete
sorry, can you PM me the bank detail for RSG, so I can pay for 28th
seems to have got lost in the 'system'??
Well done on what appeared to be the 'next step' drive..and if you had lifted off for the 0.2 sec loss the win would not be the same

Victom...!!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Pel - do you think the 996TT has a soul? A lot of mixed reactions over these cars, and hence their price point.
Your initial impressions Pel? I reckon that out of the box, a 996T's soul is pretty heavily shrouded - but it only needs exposing. One delivery of soul food coming your way next month Paul.

Just catching up on all the happenings over Easter. Some nice cars being taken home and great work Peter in coming first. I feel for you under those rules. I stopped doing regularity trials because I don't like having hard lap time limits on a racetrack but didn't realise it could come up in races too. Thought parity was mostly sought through weight handicapping. restrictors, fuel rules etc being used to knobble cars the organisers consider to be too fast. Even those make it a bit artificial. Was pleased to see a GTR take top spot on the podium at Bathurst again recently after they were chucked out for winning there too handily back in 1992. Porsche have been on the receiving end often enough too of course.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Your initial impressions Pel? I reckon that out of the box, a 996T's soul is pretty heavily shrouded - but it only needs exposing. One delivery of soul food coming your way next month Paul.
I like 996TT's - my only criticism was that they don't turn-in or under steers out of the box, but this can be dialed in easily enough.........

I know they go like the 'second coming' in a straight line...........
Old 04-06-2015, 08:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The New Zealand dollar hit another post-float high of 99.49 Australian cents this morning, following some weaker than expected economic data out of the United States.

Could be a good time to buy property (or more importantly cars) out of Aussie - if you can recover the GST, you are only talking shipping and compliance costs.............

A few back date toys:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-2766704&Cr=32

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3135336&Cr=24

Or a G50 Carrera Coupe for about $60K

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3337845&Cr=41

Or a 968 CS aussie new car for under $40K?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3051084&Cr=67

Or a 996 Cup car for under $60K landed?? - (there are heaps of these for sale........)

http://my105.com/ListingDetails/tabi...7/Default.aspx
Old 04-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

The New Zealand dollar hit another post-float high of 99.49 Australian cents this morning, following some weaker than expected economic data out of the United States.

Could be a good time to buy property (or more importantly cars) out of Aussie - if you can recover the GST, you are only talking shipping and compliance costs.............

A few back date toys:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-2766704&Cr=32

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3135336&Cr=24

Or a G50 Carrera Coupe for about $60K

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3337845&Cr=41

Or a 968 CS aussie new car for under $40K?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3051084&Cr=67

Or a 996 Cup car for under $60K landed?? - (there are heaps of these for sale........)

http://my105.com/ListingDetails/tabi...7/Default.aspx
That '70E is the one. Seems quite cheap, although not numbers matching, converted and an RS replica. Still it is an E coupe after all. Close your eyes to that lot and it is a good value hotrod.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?