Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:50 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Ahh I see. Sorry should have picked up on that (need my morning coffee!!).

We need Warwick to chime in and offer a Detailer's (OCD) insight.
I'm afraid there's no way around it. Tar-X for starters and rinse with a hose. A pressure sprayer could be used for later applications, I've seen a pressure sprayer force grit along paint and cause scratches not to mention lift paint on stone chips - use with care. I typically only use the pressure sprayer for powering my foam lance. I would expect multiple applications. By now majority of the tar should be dissolved. Once most of it has gone then a wet (not soaked) microfiber with med-long pile used to gently remove the remainder by hand. By this point a clay will possibly still be necessary but hopefully the majority of the big stuff will be gone. My guess is Maccas car needs a paint correction anyway given its use and his description above.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Warwick. I suspected as much. She needs more than paint correction these days, but only gets shampoos! Would be great to have a water blaster using that citrus/Tar X stuff - that might do the job but would likely cost a fortune. Interestingly Ive tried cut/polish/sealer/wax (Dodo Juice) on that back bumper. Once it gets very warm (think glowing exhaust boxes at the track) the tar just melts into dots on impact and then the road grime and dust/dirt (especially if its been wet on the road) clings to it like feathers on tar. Same can happen on GT3 but Ive learnt not to touch it and leave that one to the pros!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:38 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

SS9 Pumpkin Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8Y...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-25-2015, 12:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great stage Graeme. Although we were 25 seconds slower than you in the 993 I forgot how much fun it was till I revisited it just now. Im just uploading it now to you tube so you can see the different lines and perspective. So it should be ready in about 8 hours with island internet speed...
Old 05-25-2015, 01:01 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Macca, from what you've said I would recommend giving the car to the OCD guys in Newmarket and having them give it an overhaul; their prices are very reasonable, and they do a fantastic job from what I've seen.
http://www.ocdetailing.co.nz/detailing-packages.html
Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

will study tomoro then
Old 05-25-2015, 01:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca, from what you've said I would recommend giving the car to the OCD guys in Newmarket and having them give it an overhaul; their prices are very reasonable, and they do a fantastic job from what I've seen.
Thanks Jake. I just received my GT3 back from OCD before I left NZ. It looks good and their price was fair. It was a bit of birthday for the car, Its 18 months/12,000km now since we picked it up from the factory - so I shouted it a clean and a new front splitter :-)
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:22 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
SS9 Pumpkin Hill
Nice vid Graeme and some great twisties being attacked. Might've been one of our favourite stages too, if we hadn't been put behind the officials' mid-pack Subaru as an extra punishment on this stage and the next.

The video seems to be playing back too slowly though compared to your normal pace so I checked into it. You got a 6m06 official time on this stage but on the vid it takes 7 min (0:45-7:45) for you to hit the flying finish. Probably a framerate conversion issue - I'm picking 30p recorded vs 24p playback or 60p vs 48p?

Last edited by 996tnz; 05-25-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:27 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

$650 is a freekin bargain frankly. Consumables (chemicals, wear and tear) and insurance would run at only a small percentage of the outgoing per car. Rent more significant. For a 3 stage paint correction (this is not a detail mind you) you are still looking at the 3 days for one guy to do it properly. That's peanuts. And that's why i don't do it for a living

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ti-Veyron.html
Old 05-25-2015, 01:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

will study tomoro then
What Walt says makes sense :-)

Playing your video it seems to move very slowly. Increasing the rate using the settings button on teh right bottom of the screen to x1.25 brings it more or less to where you could expect it?

So that's a 1 1/2 min difference then! That's more like it!
Old 05-25-2015, 02:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
$650 is a freekin bargain frankly. Consumables (chemicals, wear and tear) and insurance would run at only a small percentage of the outgoing per car. Rent more significant. For a 3 stage paint correction (this is not a detail mind you) you are still looking at the 3 days for one guy to do it properly. That's peanuts. And that's why i don't do it for a living

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ti-Veyron.html
$390 + GST for their 8 hour Stage 3 valet. Stage four is $650 inc GST and three days. It appears good value indeed. However the rent is cheap where they are as its a 30 day lease with Demo clause and they are moving very soon so prices may rise accordingly...
Old 05-25-2015, 04:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
I bought a heap of Dragons Breath. Enough to last a decade. You can try before you buy
Meant to mention this when I visited on Saturday and forgot. If it's worked well for you then that's good enough for me. Perhaps I buy half your lot from you so it only lasts us both 5 years :-D

Originally Posted by Macca
No worries. Probably a unique post Targa issue and certainly less of an issue with a lighter colour. IIRC I've only experienced this issue post targa tour and maybe to a lesser extent on the summer SITT....be interested if there is a more sympathetic way to remove the rear bumper tar/dirt from someone in the know....
I've had it twice in the RS60. First time from my fast run through the inland Kaikoura route with David on a hot day where some of e tar seal was melting. 2nd either Oakura and/or Targa Tour. I didn't check before the TT so don't know which did it. The surface on my plastic bumper and guards etc was not hot and I got lots of very small spots, no attached grit, so it sounds different or not so noticeable on my colour.

Thanks for sharing Graeme. How many gears do you have? Looked like quite a few.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:32 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Macca, you bailed on us for Vanuatu with perfect timing. Highlands...
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2015, 04:34 AM
O2GO
Drifting

And from my cousin in Arrowtown today....
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2015, 04:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

OMG!

Doug. I think Oakura run(s) in Jan put alot of tar on the GT3 back bumper. It was warm then. Not about May as I didn't check before sending it to OCD - but I do recall it was filthy all round. Unfortunately its just the price we pay for doing what we enjoy on NZ tarmac....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?