Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Thanks Pete. Good advice as well. I was thinking KW's but perhaps overkill.

Here's a sibling for Dave's garage

http://www.coolnvintage.com/portfoli...ekend-racer-2/
Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I was thinking KW's but perhaps overkill.
I don't think Doug would talk you out of the KWs or the PSS10s - adjustable is 'better'. But the C4 needs extra attention from the ARBs to dial out under steer so I chose to spend the money on that rather than going full coilover.

One thing's for sure, its easy to spend on these things! Man maths was made for the 964
Old 04-30-2015, 03:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by nzskater
No one minds I'm sure Walter. You've shown us that it spins like an old Porsche so it fits in just fine On a photo note; a photographer friend is submitting an article to a Japanese Porsche magazine and needs some images that represent the local NZ Porsche culture. Anyone interested in a Sunday run and helping out?
Ron is planning a run this Sunday and has put the word out. Might be a place to start. I might be there.

..... Here's a sibling for Dave's garage http://www.coolnvintage.com/portfoli...ekend-racer-2/
Dave, we got to see this first on facebook. There's lots of Porsche p@rn there that you are missing out on :-D
Old 04-30-2015, 03:45 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I don't think Doug would talk you out of the KWs or the PSS10s - adjustable is 'better'. But the C4 needs extra attention from the ARBs to dial out under steer so I chose to spend the money on that rather than going full coilover. One thing's for sure, its easy to spend on these things! Man maths was made for the 964
I like the KWV3s but be prepared for tens of hours of installation time on top of the hardware price. From memory when Matt had them installed on Lola the bill was around 30 hours all up, probably including a few other suspension parts being exchanged also. Adjustability is nice. I currently use two settings, touring and track where track is seriously stiffer.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:45 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some thoughts Warwick, from an amateur. You don't need a brake fluid upgrade as you've already got SRF - it just needs replacing, probably 2 y/o now. The tyres, SO2As are good all round tyres but dated in design and compound and you'll reach their limits; they're also quite old in manufacture so may have hardened a bit. I think the Koni's you've got on are pretty good but may need a refresh - I think this would be really good bang for buck as an alternative to going the whole hog on KWs or Bilsteins (tho having done KW myself from originals I am very happy - budget around 4.5K by the time they're fitted vs a refresh for maybe 1K?). I am by no means an expert but I didn't find understeer bad in Mr Black with a good amount of trail braking, only sometimes powering out of a corner. A look at the ARBs might fix that so maybe measure em up to see if they're the originals or were swapped out when the Koni's were fitted?
One thing's for sure, he's looking awesome. Really pleased he went to a good caretaker.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:51 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by O2GO
I like the KWV3s but be prepared for tens of hours of installation time on top of the hardware price. From memory when Matt had them installed on Lola the bill was around 30 hours all up, probably including a few other suspension parts being exchanged also. Adjustability is nice. I currently use two settings, touring and track where track is seriously stiffer.
I think Matt had issues with the top mounts he used, rennline? A bit of engineering was required to get it all to go together. My bill for fitting, plus re-bushing the wishbones (not including the purchase of the power flex bushes thru Steve R), alignment and replacing the brake fluid was under $1200.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:52 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

I could be in for a Sunday run. What's the word?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:56 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^ Thanks Pete. Good advice as well. I was thinking KW's but perhaps overkill.

Here's a sibling for Dave's garage

http://www.coolnvintage.com/portfoli...ekend-racer-2/
I should have tried harder at school. That is a nice piece of kit. The wheels are slightly off silver which makes a big difference. Slight champagne colour.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Credit where due. The AA called me - before I got around to calling them - and apologised. Since it died on road, they will pick up the tab. The test of customer service is often about how well they handle their ****-ups, and I'm pleased to say they've really got it sorted.
I'm not so sold in the AA, over the last 12 mths they have caused $4000 worth of damage to my cars! $2800 to my wife's BMW as part of the BMW roadside assist and $1200 damage to a Volkswagen while changing a battery! Unbelievable!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:07 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by O2GO
Ron is planning a run this Sunday and has put the word out. Might be a place to start. I might be there.

Dave, we got to see this first on facebook. There's lots of Porsche p@rn there that you are missing out on :-D
Not so Doug, I lurk under cover as a woman called Diana! But not for long I suspect. She will boot me off when she busts me. I have to figure out how to use FB properly. What FB page was that from?
Old 04-30-2015, 04:11 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
I'm not so sold in the AA, over the last 12 mths they have caused $4000 worth of damage to my cars! $2800 to my wife's BMW as part of the BMW roadside assist and $1200 damage to a Volkswagen while changing a battery! Unbelievable!
Finally someone who doesn't rate the AA, been saying this for many years.
Just like their pre purchase reports, not worth the paper they are written on.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:21 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxem
Not so Doug, I lurk under cover as a woman called Diana! But not for long I suspect. She will boot me off when she busts me. I have to figure out how to use FB properly. What FB page was that from?
Diana, it was from the "Early 911 New Zealand" group
Old 04-30-2015, 04:36 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Some thoughts Warwick, from an amateur. You don't need a brake fluid upgrade as you've already got SRF - it just needs replacing, probably 2 y/o now. The tyres, SO2As are good all round tyres but dated in design and compound and you'll reach their limits; they're also quite old in manufacture so may have hardened a bit. I think the Koni's you've got on are pretty good but may need a refresh - I think this would be really good bang for buck as an alternative to going the whole hog on KWs or Bilsteins (tho having done KW myself from originals I am very happy - budget around 4.5K by the time they're fitted vs a refresh for maybe 1K?). I am by no means an expert but I didn't find understeer bad in Mr Black with a good amount of trail braking, only sometimes powering out of a corner. A look at the ARBs might fix that so maybe measure em up to see if they're the originals or were swapped out when the Koni's were fitted?
One thing's for sure, he's looking awesome. Really pleased he went to a good caretaker.
Thanks J. I like the advice around here. Its pragmatic and knowledgable. Many forums would have the usual "go spend a small fortune and get the Big Brand Name thingy" based on viral advice rather than real world experience.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Diana, it was from the "Early 911 New Zealand" group
Ah yes, I've been shut out of that since it was closed.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks J. I like the advice around here. Its pragmatic and knowledgable. Many forums would have the usual "go spend a small fortune and get the Big Brand Name thingy" based on viral advice rather than real world experience.
Warwick, the important thing is to work out what the end goal is. For all but track driving, your car is probably fine as is. I've stopped counting the cost with Herman to date, although I wouldn't turn back the clock even if I could because it's all part of the journey. I've met so many great people and done so much with an older car that I probably couldn't if I had gone straight to the R, but rest assured the most economical decision would've been to buy the R straight up and it's a lot faster than Herman could ever be. What I'm hoping now is that the 964s keep coming to the track and enjoying their cars for what they are, a largely bullet proof platform to have some fun with. I'll keep on bringing Herman to the track if that's the case.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?