Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:36 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Whats with the N8 (Nate) DOGG number plate?
Hes a dead rapper. Bit of a random plate to see on a Porsche.
Was trying to work that out in the pits too. Thought maybe the owners name started with an 'N' and that they had been to Korea.

What a brilliant day yesterday with a great bunch of RSG track addicts. The forecast lunchtime deluge never eventuated (bar one cloudburst on the Turn 10 sweeper that livened up a few peoples days) and it was drier than average for a wet day. I was soon wishing I'd left my 300 treadwear Sumitomos at home and brought my track tyres, with an impressive display from ChrisB in particular of how to make the most of their grip on his Z221s. At one point he came ripping past me under braking for turn one and I was sure my track cam was going to capture something awful but he just tucked her in and jetted through the apex.

Didn't get a chance to notice each and everyone's driving sorry but Macca was damn quick too and Leong (also on MPSC2s in his 2014 Competition Package BMW M5) drove the wheels off his machine to almost stay in touch with my Turbo in the wet when I had Racing Ray instructing me late in the day.

After seeing some great pedaling in my fast group, another reminder of just how relative speed is on track came when Ray started our coaching session while one of the slower groups was out. Childish I know, but pressing the 'fast forward' pedal down the straights and seeing everyone else shoot backwards never gets old.

Was hoping to double up and grab Steve sometime too, but I've been lucky enough to have shared a car with Ray on several occasions now and can't recommend him highly enough. Calm, encouraging, focused, and generous with his experience and track knowledge he's also very good at putting advice across in a way that doesn't distract you from the demanding task of keeping her on track and pointed forwards. With Ray on form in the passenger seat, we turned a 1:20.19 in the wet. When I last ran her on the same street tyres in the dry at HD some 18 months ago, my best was in the 1:18s, so he really had me moving. We seemed to have the track to ourselves too for quite a while when the rain got heavier again at day's end, so got in some good practice. Having helped set NZ endurance records in a 996 Turbo (Mack's I think?), he reckoned it was a fitting finale to his coaching day too.

A few of you may have noticed the yellow terror stopped at the bottom of the expressway on ramp at HD that evening though. Not actually an extended pee break, but on turning left down the on ramp the fuel cut out (had just put another 20L in before leaving Steve's) and Steve reckoned it was 80% likely a dead fuel pump. The AA told me a truck was on the way, let me wait ages for it, then rang back to say they were declining to cover me (will be following it up). Steve put me onto Troy's towing but his truck was down so after getting a couple of other quotes that cost more than some cars would, Moorfield Motors of Te Kauwhata got the car to Conti's and me back home around midnight. At least she had the decency to wait until after our track day before retiring!

Looking forward to seeing some of you again at 2Kcup this weekend - in the reliable cars.

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-28-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Was trying to work that out in the pits too. Thought maybe the owners name started with an 'N' and that they had been to Korea.

What a brilliant day yesterday with a great bunch of RSG track addicts. The forecast lunchtime deluge never eventuated (bar one cloudburst on the Turn 10 sweeper that livened up a few peoples days) and it was drier than average for a wet day. I was soon wishing I'd left my 300 treadwear Sumitomos at home and brought my track tyres, with an impressive display from ChrisB in particular of how to make the most of their grip on his Z221s. At one point he came ripping past me under braking for turn one and I was sure my track cam was going to capture something awful but he just tucked her in and jetted through the apex.

Didn't get a chance to notice each and everyone's driving sorry but Macca was damn quick too and Leong (also on MPSC2s in his 2014 Competition Package BMW M5) drove the wheels off his machine to almost stay in touch with my Turbo in the wet when I had Racing Ray instructing me late in the day.

After seeing some great pedaling in my fast group, another reminder of just how relative speed is on track came when Ray started our coaching session while one of the slower groups was out. Childish I know, but pressing the 'fast forward' pedal down the straights and seeing everyone else shoot backwards never gets old.

Was hoping to double up and grab Steve sometime too, but I've been lucky enough to have shared a car with Ray on several occasions now and can't recommend him highly enough. Calm, encouraging, focused, and generous with his experience and track knowledge he's also very good at putting advice across in a way that doesn't distract you from the demanding task of keeping her on track and pointed forwards. With Ray on form in the passenger seat, we turned a 1:20.19 in the wet. When I last ran her on the same street tyres in the dry at HD some 18 months ago, my best was in the 1:18s, so he really had me moving. We seemed to have the track to ourselves too for quite a while when the rain got heavier again at day's end, so got in some good practice. Having helped set NZ endurance records in a 996 Turbo (Mack's I think?), he reckoned it was a fitting finale to his coaching day too.

A few of you may have noticed the yellow terror stopped at the bottom of the expressway on ramp at HD that evening though. Not actually an extended pee break, but on turning left down the on ramp the fuel cut out (had just put another 20L in before leaving Steve's) and Steve reckoned it was 80% likely a dead fuel pump. The AA told me a truck was on the way, let me wait ages for it, then rang back to say they were declining to cover me (will be following it up). Steve put me onto Troy's towing but his truck was down so after getting a couple of other quotes that cost more than some cars would, Moorfield Motors of Te Kauwhata got the car to Conti's and me back home around midnight. At least she had the decency to wait until after our track day before retiring!

Looking forward to seeing some of you again at 2Kcup this weekend - in the reliable cars.
RE dead fuel pumps, people seem to overlook ever replacing fuel filters. A clogged fuel filter will send a fuel pump to an early death.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

RE dead fuel pumps, people seem to overlook ever replacing fuel filters. A clogged fuel filter will send a fuel pump to an early death.
Fair call. Will check, but I'm pretty sure mine was last replaced about 20,000kms ago. If I'm lucky, it may just be that she started running out of fuel on parking her at Steve's, and that the 20L I put in is just sitting behind an air blockage in the lines. Cross fingers anyway.

If it is more serious then I'm glad it happened before Targa so it can be sorted.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:50 PM
BadgerNZ
Track Day

Looks like 'twas a fun day! Glad to hear there were no major dramas.

Met a couple of you at C&C on Sunday as I've met NZSkater before.

Need to do some trackdays again at some point when the 2kCup offseason comes up!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Whats with the N8 (Nate) DOGG number plate?
Hes a dead rapper. Bit of a random plate to see on a Porsche.
haha, its my nick name. Had it for years... 10+. Only recently been more associated with the rapper since he died, but previous to that was always just my nick name
Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Further to Leong's M5 CP performance, I gave my car a tickle up some 18 months back, both for my own fun and also to keep it ahead of the latest super saloons, but the crop that came out around that time doesn't leave too much of a gap!

Auto Motor und Sport comparison: http://www.dragtimes.ru/en/blogs/view/142

Originally Posted by BadgerNZ
Looks like 'twas a fun day! Glad to hear there were no major dramas. Met a couple of you at C&C on Sunday as I've met NZSkater before. Need to do some trackdays again at some point when the 2kCup offseason comes up!
Welcome to Rennlist George, and look forward to seeing even more of you on track.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Looks like 'twas a fun day! Glad to hear there were no major dramas.

Met a couple of you at C&C on Sunday as I've met NZSkater before.

Need to do some trackdays again at some point when the 2kCup offseason comes up!
Are you going to do the HB Club track day this year George?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 PM
BadgerNZ
Track Day

What date is it this year? I could be interested so long as it's well clear of 2kCup. Once 2k's finished I need to give the Exige a tweak or two as it's currently got a dead sensor making it run like a bag of spanners.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Photo's from my camera, apologies for the lack of focus. http://go.shr.lc/1JQcxej
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996tnz
The AA told me a truck was on the way, let me wait ages for it, then rang back to say they were declining to cover me (will be following it up).
Credit where due. The AA called me - before I got around to calling them - and apologised. Since it died on road, they will pick up the tab. The test of customer service is often about how well they handle their ****-ups, and I'm pleased to say they've really got it sorted.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,

I need some volunteers to help with running car control exercises on the PCNZ Driver training day.

Basically you will manage in groups of 2 -3 drivers doing activites around cones on the morning of Saturday 13 June 2015. You will even get a walkie talkie and lunch and are free to go home or hang out in the afternoon.

PM me if you are keen to help out.

Cheers
Paul
Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Guys,

I need some volunteers to help with running car control exercises on the PCNZ Driver training day.

Basically you will manage in groups of 2 -3 drivers doing activites around cones on the morning of Saturday 13 June 2015. You will even get a walkie talkie and lunch and are free to go home or hang out in the afternoon.

PM me if you are keen to help out.

Cheers
Paul
Highly recommend this for anyone in the RSG team to help out. Its a way to emphasis that we're no rebel group trying to cut a separate path from PCNZ. And with this being a track based Driver Training program it fits really well.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

What date is it this year? I could be interested so long as it's well clear of 2kCup. Once 2k's finished I need to give the Exige a tweak or two as it's currently got a dead sensor making it run like a bag of spanners.
11 May.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Prelim sign ups for NITT Sep 2015 (Taupo & Manfield) now open in RSG forum. Get in quick...
Old 04-29-2015, 12:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks to all RSG'ers for making yesterday such a successful event. Despite the changeable conditions we had 34 drivers participate on the track and a further 3-4 members come and join us socially through out the day. Overall it was enjoyed by all including the BBQ put on by the girls and hosted by Steve & Mandy at their apartment.

One of the highlights of the day was seeing the variety of machinery in pit lane. Great to see aircooled well represented - particular mention goes to the two black 964s which both look and sound brilliant (Warwick & Sam IIRC). The gunmetal 964 of Nathan's on the 3 piece RH alloys very striking too. I was intrigued by the RUF BTR/Yellowbird replica in the garage and keen to see that run in the future. The lack of 993's was noted. Given the number on this board that own 993's I have to say I was a bit disappointed. We need more 993's out there next time!

As Water says pushing the FF pedal on the GT3/Turbos is undeniably addictive. Run group three seemed to luck out with the weather all but one session. I confess my mind wasnt so much on the task of driving yesterday but I did enjoy chasing Leong (not so much being chased by him as this is when I spun!) and Nigel C and Jon Warring. Unfortunately no particularly impressive laps to mention other than a brace of mid 17s in that single "dry?" session. Ive clipped a lap from that session below (slow out of T10 on that one not sure why) along with a lap before spinning and the lap I spun. I figure may as well air the dirty laundry around here! Amazing that T1 was dry most of the day but T4 to T10 was largely wet - even between laps the conditions could change!

Big thanks to Pete and Raso my partners in crime in organising the day. Great so see so many new faces out there, enjoyed all your company and pat yourself on the back for joining the coolest little Porsche track/driving group thingy I know of!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?