Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Images of Buba on his BMX are amusing. John you don't look older just more folically challenged :-). banque Hawaii building still stands and looks the same. iIRC Cyclone Uma in 87 punched out the mid floor windows and the found fish inside? Impressive given its distance from the water! Vanuatu has taught us many practical skills. Mostly in "the real world" we try not to use them as there are committees to manage such things are we are far to quick to adapt. However it's always reassuring if you know you can do it yourself if you have to. Certainly living here changes your perception of "risk". I was at a local DPR fundraiser quiz night last night with Janet Fruen, Vicky Seagoe, Chrystelle (Vicky girlfriend!) and Vickys daughter (young, french and gorgeous). They were at the neighbouring table. Wish I had these photos yesterday :-)
Yes, I was told that Uma put fish that far up as well.

I could say the stress took my hair, but sadly it's just genetics. As long as I have more than my younger brothers it's ok!

Here's Chrystelle with her husband before she started (openly?) batting for the other team
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Classic, he looks far younger and she hasnt changed! We know Antoine Boudier well. He's one of the winners from Cyclone Pam (major electrical services contractor to Unelco) - although in truth he was already doing very well having won a number of huge projects over the years. Hes actually a nice guy too. Hes moved on now engaged to a new lady and has a kid by her. Yes Chrystelles orientation is public knowledge.

You'd be pleased to know you beat Antoine on the hair stakes :-)
Old 04-09-2015, 06:51 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
All but my last year was with the French and Americans. The French knew how to design a cyclone proof building.

I was a bit naive with my first cyclone and went windsurfing at Mele bay in the initial winds. I got catapulted by a gust and my car keys were knocked out of my harness into the Bay. I had to break a car window to get to the second set or risk leaving the car at the Beach during the cyclone.

Although I still have all my windsurfing gear I think it's as likely that I'll get back out there on the water as Paul will on his BMX

Btw You may still recognise some of the staff around town. How I eventually ended up as Chief Risk Officer with ANZ in Indonesia with 3,000 employees from this start is still somewhat amazing. I like to think that all of the situations thrown at me working in the Vanuatu environment gave me a head start over people working in structured first world environments. If something happened in Vanuatu you fixed it. In NZ you form a committee.
Recognised the BoH symbol instantly from my Hawaii days, funny that as it was a long time ago. Odd seeing it in French though!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Classic, he looks far younger and she hasnt changed! We know Antoine Boudier well. He's one of the winners from Cyclone Pam (major electrical services contractor to Unelco) - although in truth he was already doing very well having won a number of huge projects over the years. Hes actually a nice guy too. Hes moved on now engaged to a new lady and has a kid by her. Yes Chrystelles orientation is public knowledge. You'd be pleased to know you beat Antoine on the hair stakes :-)
Antonine also has a deep yearning for a 911. Wrong country for that! When I was there he was working for Remy and was playing second fiddle.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Recognised the BoH symbol instantly from my Hawaii days, funny that as it was a long time ago. Odd seeing it in French though!
A lot of debate over that one Stuart. Our clientele was almost 100% French and as the bank had been sold to the Americans we felt the need to show ongoing French support in our branding. In the end we translated the name into French and did what the French really appreciated i.e. Held a rebranding party where they got themselves blotto on French Champagne, customers and non customers alike. I learned a lot about psychology there. Invite your detractors as well as your customers and the former become less vocal.

I have a lot of time for the Bank of Hawaii as it was then at least. Their training was first rate. I spent 3 months in Honolulu learning the art of lending the old fashioned way. The genesis of the core principles that I use in my career to this day.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:52 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
A lot of debate over that one Stuart. Our clientele was almost 100% French and as the bank had been sold to the Americans we felt the need to show ongoing French support in our branding. In the end we translated the name into French and did what the French really appreciated i.e. Held a rebranding party where they got themselves blotto on French Champagne, customers and non customers alike. I learned a lot about psychology there. Invite your detractors as well as your customers and the former become less vocal.

I have a lot of time for the Bank of Hawaii as it was then at least. Their training was first rate. I spent 3 months in Honolulu learning the art of lending the old fashioned way. The genesis of the core principles that I use in my career to this day.
I quite like it when companies do the little things to fit in with their locale. As long as it's not seen as chessy then it is all good.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Today's progress. Yes it look like a large shed...
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2015, 01:54 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

deleted. stuffed it up.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:45 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tempted Paul...?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-871971366.htm

Lovely colour - shame no buckets but would make an epic allrounder
Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Tempted Paul...? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-871971366.htm Lovely colour - shame no buckets but would make an epic allrounder
He should be. This formed part of the conversation at Milly's that almost cost me a Kitchen Aid mixer. Time to poop or get off the potty Mr Miller. You know it makes sense. Once corrupted you can't go back.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oooooh - it was meant to come through another dealer and at a cheaper price.......

This was advertised at $116k last time it was for sale.

Gracie's 5th birthday today - so might have to take a nosey tomorrow......

Being publically advertised - it is probably sold by now....??
Old 04-10-2015, 08:23 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Classic 911 racing with Chris Harris, nice watch...

https://grrc.goodwood.com/race/histo...er-he-survives
Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Orange GT3 sold yesterday morning to someone in the SI.

They are leaving it on to 'fish' for new clients..........
Old 04-10-2015, 08:35 PM
O2GO
Drifting

To celebrate Lola's return I'd like to go for an early Sunday coffee run down to Raglan and back with some fellow air cooled fanatics.

Meet at BP Drury at 7:30am tomorrow morning (Sunday). Back home before lunch.

Who'se keen?

Dave? johnM? Pel? Sam? Walter? Jason? Warwick? Mark? John (Racoguy)? And whoever else I've missed with air cooled goodness.

Happy for any water boys to join and go ahead and sweep the roads for us:-)

Who's in?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?