Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 04:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
The New Zealand dollar hit another post-float high of 99.49 Australian cents this morning, following some weaker than expected economic data out of the United States. Could be a good time to buy property (or more importantly cars) out of Aussie - if you can recover the GST, you are only talking shipping and compliance costs............. A few back date toys: http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-2766704&Cr=32 http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3135336&Cr=24 Or a G50 Carrera Coupe for about $60K http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3337845&Cr=41 Or a 968 CS aussie new car for under $40K? http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-3051084&Cr=67 Or a 996 Cup car for under $60K landed?? - (there are heaps of these for sale........) http://my105.com/ListingDetails/tabi...7/Default.aspx
1970E with a 3.2 donk looks good.
Old 04-06-2015 | 05:36 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Paul that 993 of yours is going to look so pretty you'll need a pair of these in Polar Silver to go with it
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2015 | 08:43 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Does anyone know how the VAT refund thing works if getting a car out of OZ?
Old 04-06-2015 | 09:29 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by Moochier
That one sexy car Stuart. I saw this the other week up at Ray Haslar's and thought it was one of the best looking cars I'd seen for a while.

When your time has come with it, please put my name at the top of your list. Seriously!

Look forward to seeing it out there.... And you of course!
Thanks for that Chris. It's certainly fun walking past it in the garage, even under the sheet!
Old 04-06-2015 | 10:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Go halves? I can say I'm storing it for you!
Old 04-06-2015 | 10:56 PM
Pel
Pro

So Pel - do you think the 996TT has a soul? A lot of mixed reactions over these cars, and hence their price point.
Depends how you define soul, perhaps the 996 headlights make people say it doesn't have one.

For me, I can't describe it on a forum, but it's more to do with how the car drives, sounds and smells than how it looks, nevertheless I like the 996 shape regardless (I like all 911's so no worries there).

Ive never driven a GT3 or GT2, perhaps these evoke stronger emotions being more track focused & unruly round the edges. These are performance first cars, not soul cars, evidenced by offering only PDK nowadays.

Driving the 996t feels like a video game compared to an air cooled car. 4WD, tip & power steer will make any car feel detached compared to RWD & no power steer.

For my intended use the car is perfect. On the open road it's wonderful and just want's to move, obviously the engine out the back give's the Porsche feel, the nose feels heavier but I guess that's 4WD. The interior is not quite of a quality expected. But has it's own quirks button placement wise, which reminds me of older Porsche's.

I would assume the 996t has as much soul as a 997 or 991 Turbo, the general consumer demands constant improvement, faster and better delivery in every way. This leaves less room for the purist demanding soul and feel but wanting a new car, I guess that's where Singer comes in...

All one mans uneducated opinion of course...

I need to invest in a camera...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Pel; 04-06-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 12:47 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Is it just me or do long hoods from Oz seem to be the only real importing proposition? The later air cooled cars are quite heavily priced - even b'stard 993's (tipo cabrio's) are claiming big bucks. The 964's the same and even 996 and 997's are well overpriced compared to here. That leaves impact bumper and long hood cars. Who's going to pioneer that one then?
Old 04-07-2015 | 03:51 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Is it just me or do long hoods from Oz seem to be the only real importing proposition? The later air cooled cars are quite heavily priced - even b'stard 993's (tipo cabrio's) are claiming big bucks. The 964's the same and even 996 and 997's are well overpriced compared to here. That leaves impact bumper and long hood cars. Who's going to pioneer that one then?
I found the same when browsing Japanese auctions; the water cooled are well over priced, with pre 964's being the only real 'bargains' (also presenting a bit more risk rust/care/odo wise). I'd be willing to throw a bit into a group owned car, BB911 anyone?
Old 04-07-2015 | 05:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Paul that 993 of yours is going to look so pretty you'll need a pair of these in Polar Silver to go with it
Nice............
Old 04-07-2015 | 05:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Depends how you define soul, perhaps the 996 headlights make people say it doesn't have one.

For me, I can't describe it on a forum, but it's more to do with how the car drives, sounds and smells than how it looks, nevertheless I like the 996 shape regardless (I like all 911's so no worries there).

Ive never driven a GT3 or GT2, perhaps these evoke stronger emotions being more track focused & unruly round the edges. These are performance first cars, not soul cars, evidenced by offering only PDK nowadays.

Driving the 996t feels like a video game compared to an air cooled car. 4WD, tip & power steer will make any car feel detached compared to RWD & no power steer.

For my intended use the car is perfect. On the open road it's wonderful and just want's to move, obviously the engine out the back give's the Porsche feel, the nose feels heavier but I guess that's 4WD. The interior is not quite of a quality expected. But has it's own quirks button placement wise, which reminds me of older Porsche's.

I would assume the 996t has as much soul as a 997 or 991 Turbo, the general consumer demands constant improvement, faster and better delivery in every way. This leaves less room for the purist demanding soul and feel but wanting a new car, I guess that's where Singer comes in...

All one mans uneducated opinion of course...

I need to invest in a camera...

I'm liking the garage Pel.
Old 04-07-2015 | 06:39 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

I like 996TT's - my only criticism was that they don't turn-in or under steers out of the box, but this can be dialed in easily enough.........

I know they go like the 'second coming' in a straight line...........
Yes, a couple of mm of toe out up front, or at least neutral toe there goes a long way to fixing it. Last time that I asked for 2mm a side of toe out the shop set that as toe in instead. Boomeranged it back to them within the week as it felt like a Camry in comparison. Was boring me witless. But it all depends on where the owner wants to place the slider on the Sports---GT continuum. The Turbo leaves the factory a bit too GT biased for my tastes but it doesn't take much to shove it back the other way.

PSM's the other muzzling factor. Wasn't hooking up well out of corners at Manfield one run while chasing a better shod TT-RS and realised the PSM had somehow stayed on. Pushed the (so-called) 'PSM Off' button so hard and fast it popped right out the back of the panel and had him within a couple of corners. And you haven't truly tasted understeer on entry until PSM serves you up a platter. The car just bogs down and plows wide in zombie mode while you hope the PSM decides to give you some control back before you run out of track. That was my experience of it anyway the few times it stayed on for a while.

I would say though that if you're sending PSM back to the bench, you'd better be on your DSM (Driver Stability Management) game yourself - ie driving attentively. When dialed in, it's not a car for slow reactions though by default Porsche still invokes PSM under braking, regardless of whether 'PSM Off' was selected.

Kiwicarguy, I'm liking those shoes - do they come with the most important accessory?

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-07-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 07:33 AM
PHG
Racer

good one Walter..bang on re what the T can deliver.
Pel, good synopsis. They are not a track car, but buggar me, they give a great feeling when you give it the Jandel on a good bit of road.. with Supertramp and max decibels.. and most still look at the car as a Porsche.
Saw a Red 991 today plate 991 911 or the like..smoking out towards Maraeti.. is that one of ours?
Old 04-07-2015 | 07:56 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
good one Walter..bang on re what the T can deliver.
Pel, good synopsis. They are not a track car, but buggar me, they give a great feeling when you give it the Jandel on a good bit of road.. with Supertramp and max decibels.. and most still look at the car as a Porsche.
Saw a Red 991 today plate 991 911 or the like..smoking out towards Maraeti.. is that one of ours?
Breakfast in America

Mind you - Crime of the Century is all good too..........
Old 04-07-2015 | 08:50 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pel
Less sold on the other 996.1/ early boxster lights but I love the more aggressive 'Q' shaped ones all Turbos and 997.2s have. The way they're laid back and faired in reminds me of the stuff you'd see at Le Mans (and not just the GT1's lozenge shapes). The iconic round lights look best on older models I reckon, and at the other end of things, the laid back ovals of the 991 are almost back to the 996 aero approach.

I like the 996 shape too and specifically wanted the modern shape, although for pure sex appeal nothing beats the curvaceousness of a good 993, especially 993 wide bodies. I do like the clean lines of 996s. That said, the 996T has many great angles but low down from 30 degrees off the front is not one of them in my book. From that view, the wing looks far too small and narrow for the haunches. Something Porsche addressed for the GT2 and the 997T. From pretty much everywhere else though, including above and below they look like the awesome weapon they are. I've had mine for over 5 years now, and I still detour past windows to check her out.

And the GTR much more so. Awesome machines of which I am a fan, but they feel halfway between a Porsche and a Bentley, or in other words like a super handling version of an AMG.

What toe are you running Pel? She'll never be a 930 but that front toe adjustment helps 'lighten' the nose a lot, as does trail braking. Granted, the interior is not up to Bentley Continental or even BMW 7 series spec but the Turbos are at least leathered up by default versus most 996s. The door note and the plastic control stalks I just like to put down to lightening for performance, although I suspect that Wiedeking's accountants may have volunteered their opinion too. I also discovered at Turners the other day that I am a far more natural fit for Ferrari's optional carbon seats than Porsche's own sports seat efforts. On track I don't notice it much, but mine are made for someone with much narrower shoulders. Bought her for her performance though so really couldn't care too much about the odd interior foible. And credit where due, for a 2002 vehicle her metropol blue leather's condition and colour are holding up spectacularly well.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing your car in the flesh somewhere soon too Pel. She looks a million and I reckon its nice to have a distinctive colour, even if it means giving up a bit of safety in numbers.
Old 04-07-2015 | 05:00 PM
PHG
Racer

Dave
Aus GST can only be claimed back by a Aus registered entity.
only real way is for a gst registered co in Aus buy a car as stock, claim the gst and then export the car. In order for you to get that gst back you would need to have an invoice to that co for 'something'
Of course gst payable here on landed cost inc purchase price, duty (if any), and freight..

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?