Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

good to get that out of the way John,
Have you studied video and made any conclusions as to Taupo race lines for 2k cup?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
good to get that out of the way John, Have you studied video and made any conclusions as to Taupo race lines for 2k cup?
I had a short look at the video Graeme and picked up some thoughts. Your angled approach to turn one appeals as it's similar to the one around the tyres on the back straight that Matt B suggested and that definitely worked. Walter is coming around this Saturday so we can work on BB2, which he will take to the next round. We will discuss it more then.

On another note, GT6 is bringing up so interesting pointers. Left foot braking is the go there as is sawing the steering wheel through corners. I wondered if it was a game glitch but it reminds me of Steve's cornering. Why does a constant held turn run wide off the track whereas a wheel turn against the corner with adjustment afterwards make it around? It reminds me of a technique with windsurfers where a momentary turn against the direction sets it up for the turn into the corner.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:07 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/f...231&mid=435756 it started off well but there are evidently a few personalities in there.

CCS is tomorrow morning. I'll leave the car there and pick it up after work.
Yeah I see what you mean.

How did alignment go? Do you have a spec sheet you can post up? Would be interested to see before and after specs.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
Yeah I see what you mean. How did alignment go? Do you have a spec sheet you can post up? Would be interested to see before and after specs.
Here it is. This is all you can get with standard parts. Was yours checked before pick up? If not, it's only $138 to do it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2015, 05:17 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

White cars stick together Jason. If your car isn't fixed by the 'arrive and drive' you can still drive BB. You've yet to bust your cherry there!
Cheers mate. Slightly peeved the the old top mount left in. May have been broken for sometime. KWs don't come with top mounts so no warranty and slightly worried about how long the troubleshooting took to find it. The shocks went to the dyno for a test and came up perfect.
Such is life.
Bits should arrive this week but keen to bust my cherry.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

On another note, GT6 is bringing up so interesting pointers. Left foot braking is the go there as is sawing the steering wheel through corners. I wondered if it was a game glitch but it reminds me of Steve's cornering. Why does a constant held turn run wide off the track whereas a wheel turn against the corner with adjustment afterwards make it around? It reminds me of a technique with windsurfers where a momentary turn against the direction sets it up for the turn into the corner.
I think you will find that saloon and rally guys are happy to saw at the wheel more whereas single seater guys almost never do. I suppose the thinking is that it is making the rear a bit more mobile and get the car past the apex more easily. single seaters tend to rely more on trail braking more precisely to help rotate the car. with fwd you can also trail brake with less risk - a bit like backing the rear in the way bikes do it. If it gets too far out of shape you can save it by getting back on the gas as long as you can steer it with reasonable accuracy
Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Jason, long shot. Would you have room on any of your ships for a few boxes of clothes, linen and food for Vanuatu? We have filled the container and they've stopped taking stuff from us. Meanwhile people keep dropping stuff off at my place which now cant go up to Vanuatu unless they get another container organised and funded.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Chris, alignment done. More camber up front and a few measurements brought back into tolerance, mainly right front toe. However, they weren't that far off to call anything a game changer. $138 bill, including the free wash is good value, if for no other reason than I now know it's all correct. Another bonus was seeing a White Spyder up close.
Sorry just saw this John, was that maxing out camber adjustment? So just over 1deg in the front and 1.5 rear.

There was also lots of toe in in the rear at 4+mm, good to see you dialled that back. Who chose the 2.8mm for final rear toe?

Also Isn't front tow side to side more just a steering wheel centering issue and total toe is what's more important, as if you turn or not centre the steering wheel accurately it will alter the side to side toe?

Wonder why the caster was out side to side and they didn't adjust it?

All good though look forward to playing with alignment a bit to see what works best for road and track.

Cheers for the info
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
Sorry just saw this John, was that maxing out camber adjustment? So just over 1deg in the front and 1.5 rear. There was also lots of toe in in the rear at 4+mm, good to see you dialled that back. Who chose the 2.8mm for final rear toe? Also Isn't front tow side to side more just a steering wheel centering issue and total toe is what's more important, as if you turn or not centre the steering wheel accurately it will alter the side to side toe? Wonder why the caster was out side to side and they didn't adjust it? All good though look forward to playing with alignment a bit to see what works best for road and track. Cheers for the info
They said that one side could have taken more front camber but they were limited by the other side. Not sure why they didn't t even them up exactly. Would driver weight affect that? I gave no directions for the rear toe. They seemed to know what they were up to so I let them decide. I told them what I wanted to use the car for, which is what I used to do with Peter Adler.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Jason, long shot. Would you have room on any of your ships for a few boxes of clothes, linen and food for Vanuatu? We have filled the container and they've stopped taking stuff from us. Meanwhile people keep dropping stuff off at my place which now cant go up to Vanuatu unless they get another container organised and funded.
Would have been plenty of room but Canterbury left Sunday. I can check to see if a C130 or B757 has space for donations but they generally plan to be full out of Whenuapai. Will get back to you.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Ponto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leong72
Talking about coincidences.... I had to have my infection drained in Queenstown the morning we were to drive to Timaru on the SITT. Wasn't able to drive really so Dave Allison kindly drove me in my car to Timaru, in convoy with Robert, Luke and Les. We drove into the motel that Les had booked for them and it turns out to be the same motel that I'd booked into... My booking made at least four months previously. And we had been allocated rooms next to each other. Timaru has a very large number of motels.
Hi Leong, sorry to hear you required another visit to the doc to get sorted, that's bad luck! Did you make it out at Levels and Ruapuna? Hope the rest of the runners made it through without incident, did the Juno come right?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GT6 is bringing up so interesting pointers. Left foot braking is the go there as is sawing the steering wheel through corners. I wondered if it was a game glitch but it reminds me of Steve's cornering. Why does a constant held turn run wide off the track whereas a wheel turn against the corner with adjustment afterwards make it around? It reminds me of a technique with windsurfers where a momentary turn against the direction sets it up for the turn into the corner.
The car equivalent of that windsurfer technique is the scandinavian flick, which brings the back around with greater momentum, rotating the car early and allowing more speed to be carried through tight turns.

Here's my take on the sawing. As Graeme pointed out, single seater drivers don't saw often and I'd say this is because hard suspension on a smooth consistent surface allows them to find and drive the ideal grip-slip limit with much more precision than is available to drivers on a loose surface in a rally car, or even those on a circuit in a softer sprung saloon like our 2Kcuppers. Single seaters are also less forgiving and harder to recover when they get loose so there's potentially more to lose and less to gain. Even with saloons or rally, I'd think few would saw the wheel for the hell of it (I did know one club racer who always did on gravel, even on straights) but I suspect most do it to either pre-empt the back stepping out (like reducing the steering angle momentarily when running a kerb or crest) or to gather the car back in the moment a slide starts. Or else to recover from understeer/oversteer on corner entry or mismatched revs on a mid-corner downshift (sometimes needed when racing, eg if speed has been lost through understeering wide). When cornering at the limit, pretty much by definition the car is going to get livelier and yaw around much more than it would at 9 tenths so the steering wheel will be busier. There'll be more to it though, I'm sure. If deliberately sawing the wheel has you cornering faster in GT6 and the game physics are correct then maybe it works like the steering equivalent of cadence braking with a rapid grip-turn-slip-unwind-grip-turn-slip-unwind cycle being more effective than a steadier state?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=863429880

Too expensive, the one that came up a few weeks ago was a bargain, this is 30% overpriced.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=863429880

Too expensive, the one that came up a few weeks ago was a bargain, this is 30% overpriced.
Ouch! Big mark up for the "S" label.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
The car equivalent of that windsurfer technique is the scandinavian flick, which brings the back around with greater momentum, rotating the car early and allowing more speed to be carried through tight turns. Here's my take on the sawing. As Graeme pointed out, single seater drivers don't saw often and I'd say this is because hard suspension on a smooth consistent surface allows them to find and drive the ideal grip-slip limit with much more precision than is available to drivers on a loose surface in a rally car, or even those on a circuit in a softer sprung saloon like our 2Kcuppers. Single seaters are also less forgiving and harder to recover when they get loose so there's potentially more to lose and less to gain. Even with saloons or rally, I'd think few would saw the wheel for the hell of it (I did know one club racer who always did on gravel, even on straights) but I suspect most do it to either pre-empt the back stepping out (like reducing the steering angle momentarily when running a kerb or crest) or to gather the car back in the moment a slide starts. Or else to recover from understeer/oversteer on corner entry or mismatched revs on a mid-corner downshift (sometimes needed when racing, eg if speed has been lost through understeering wide). When cornering at the limit, pretty much by definition the car is going to get livelier and yaw around much more than it would at 9 tenths so the steering wheel will be busier. There'll be more to it though, I'm sure. If deliberately sawing the wheel has you cornering faster in GT6 and the game physics are correct then maybe it works like the steering equivalent of cadence braking with a rapid grip-turn-slip-unwind-grip-turn-slip-unwind cycle being more effective than a steadier state?
I've been trying to practice the steering unwind through corners but it isn't working where as the sawing motion is. Next step however is to get a sim seat etc as you can't drive effectively from a coffee table

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?