Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Sorry, just racing at Willows Springs. Nice track. A win...
For a second there I thought you were in the States

Just finished the novice championship. 3 wins driving a Honda Fit. Back to the cricket.
You're lucky Macca's busy elsewhere. Just when he thought it couldn't get worse than a Honda invasion, we roll out the virtual Hondas.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Luke - if you are ever in Alk, you are welcome to take mine for a spin.

I swear by the chip - this really transformed the car.

RS suspension helps too, I have the uprights and arms etc. My 993 currently tracks like Robert's car does across the road, but I am over it had felt car sick on the Taupo trip, so will dial out once I get it back (one day...??).

I shall repeat myself again - the best money you can spend is chipping, dropping the car 20mm from stock and dailing in a little negative camber. With your milage and age, you should repace all the suspension rubbers and rebush the shocks - then you will have $5K less in your bank account, but the car will handle 80% like an RS.
Thanks for that Paul. Yes, the chip and the refresh is certainly the plan.... saving the pennies. The old girl is in need of it ticking over the 170,000 kms mark on the trip!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

After baking all weekend at Taupo last 2KCup with nomex underwear under a single layer, I finally ordered a better suit today via a local supplier (www.namsport.co.nz). Mine will be an OMP, but if anyone else is also in the market for a good 3 layer one, I also found some discontinued Alpinestars GP Tech suits (used to be USD 1500) on clearance for USD 600 here:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage...uit,93484.html

Great discount, a reasonable spread of sizes and colours, and they'll be lighter, cooler and more comfortable than pretty much all two layer ones - which achieve the same fire rating through heavier and thicker layers. And here's a comment I came across from 2013: "Alpinestars GP Tech is what our drivers use. Same suits are worn by Redbull F1 Racing, Renault F1 & Force India F1"

It would pay to check the sizing though - by most accounts for any given OMP size you need to go one lower (eg 54 instead of 56) for Alpinestars, and one higher for Sparco (eg 58 instead of 56). http://cdn.racerpartswholesale.com/d...Comparison.pdf

If anyone is thinking of grabbing a GP Tech, this shows how the S-M-L sizings shown relate to the numbers, and to your body:
http://www.alpinestars.com/size-guide/

Chicane, Vortex or Flamecrusher (Chicane owned) likely have some more patriotic options too of course.

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-26-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Chris, alignment done. More camber up front and a few measurements brought back into tolerance, mainly right front toe. However, they weren't that far off to call anything a game changer. $138 bill, including the free wash is good value, if for no other reason than I now know it's all correct. Another bonus was seeing a White Spyder up close.
Speaking of suits. Is it a requirement for the RSG track day next month?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM
shiraz
Racer

My '95 had a single mass flywheel when I bought it ( & Wong chip, low on Bilstein HD/ H&R springs ). No stalling problem - but it really needs double clutch down shifts- not a bad thing.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
After baking all weekend at Taupo last 2KCup with nomex underwear under a single layer, I finally ordered a better suit today via a local supplier (www.namsport.co.nz). Mine will be an OMP, but if anyone else is also in the market for a good 3 layer one, I also found some discontinued Alpinestars GP Tech suits (used to be USD 1500) on clearance for USD 600 here:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage...uit,93484.html

Great discount, a reasonable spread of sizes and colours, and they'll be lighter, cooler and more comfortable than pretty much all two layer ones - which achieve the same fire rating through heavier and thicker layers. And here's a comment I came across from 2013: "Alpinestars GP Tech is what our drivers use. Same suits are worn by Redbull F1 Racing, Renault F1 & Force India F1"

It would pay to check the sizing though - by most accounts for any given OMP size you need to go one lower (eg 54 instead of 56) for Alpinestars, and one higher for Sparco (eg 58 instead of 56). http://cdn.racerpartswholesale.com/d...Comparison.pdf

If anyone is thinking of grabbing a GP Tech, this shows how the S-M-L sizings shown relate to the numbers, and to your body:
http://www.alpinestars.com/size-guide/

Chicane, Vortex or Flamecrusher (Chicane owned) likely have some more patriotic options too of course.
big difference between old and new tech fabrics. definitely worth the upgrade if you going to spend any length of time in it. Mainly a its the breathability and less weight even though 3 layer. Worth checking if it has a deodorant treatment too - tested over a 5 day Targa and it definitely works.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Speaking of suits. Is it a requirement for the RSG track day next month?
Cotton overalls will suffice. You will also need a helmet and fully enclosed shoes. If you turn up in crocs you won't be allowed out. In fact your card carrying 964 membership would be in jeopardy.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Very smart, I wonder what the POA is?
$150K - but it is a Aussie new car which seems to add a 20-30% premium over there??
Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
big difference between old and new tech fabrics. definitely worth the upgrade if you going to spend any length of time in it. Mainly a its the breathability and less weight even though 3 layer. Worth checking if it has a deodorant treatment too - tested over a 5 day Targa and it definitely works.
Two Summers of perspiring in cars with no Aircon has me thinking I need a second suit, a lightweight one. I'm also thinking about a cool shirt. What are you using Graeme?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:56 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt38088
Hmm, maybe I should start vetting co-drivers for BO. Paul, are you certified safe?

Two Summers of perspiring in cars with no Aircon has me thinking I need a second suit, a lightweight one. I'm also thinking about a cool shirt. What are you using Graeme?
I'm picking it's a good Sparco?

FWIW to anyone looking at their options, something like my old combination of Nomex long johns (for anything serious) and 1 layer Chicane Clubman treated cotton was still quite doable for shorter stints in the car- ie for driver's education (but think I went mufti), Uncles sessions, and even up to playdays, track tours and PCNZ dual sprints. But not something you'd want to go seconds on after doing a few 33 minute races each preceded by about 25 minutes of queueing under the scorching Taupo sun. And a good suit is still a nice to have for shorter runs too, as well as being a bit safer.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Cotton overalls will suffice. You will also need a helmet and fully enclosed shoes. If you turn up in crocs you won't be allowed out. In fact your card carrying 964 membership would be in jeopardy.
Thanks John. Haha. Check no stubbies and jandals then, don't want to let the side down
Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I'm a big fan of alpinestars ZX nomex stuff - breathable.

Also strongly recommend any new suit purchasers to consider black/dark colors as the accent color - not the main color.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Hmm, maybe I should start vetting co-drivers for BO. Paul, are you certified safe?I'm picking it's a good Sparco?

FWIW to anyone looking at their options, something like my old combination of Nomex long johns (for anything serious) and 1 layer Chicane Clubman treated cotton was still quite doable for shorter stints in the car- ie for driver's education (but think I went mufti), Uncles sessions, and even up to playdays, track tours and PCNZ dual sprints. But not something you'd want to go seconds on after doing a few 33 minute races each preceded by about 25 minutes of queueing under the scorching Taupo sun. And a good suit is still a nice to have for shorter runs too, as well as being a bit safer.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Thesnowman
Intermediate

Hmm interesting

HAMPTON DOWNS SOLD TO TONY QUINN

Hampton Downs Motorsport Park has reportedly been sold for around $13.5 million to Australian pet food mogul and Highlands Motorsport Park owner Tony Quinn.

Velocity NZ understands a decision was made earlier this week to accept Quinn’s offer to buy the circuit, a process which will see the North Waikato facility removed of all debt. Velocity NZ sources close to the Highlands Park owner indicate Quinn has intentions to complete the circuit extension and facilities, and retain existing circuit management.

The surprising news comes just one month after Quinn was denied the opportunity to acquire Taupo Motorsport Park, though he has made efforts to acquire Hampton Downs before.

Speculation surrounding the purchase of Taupo Motorsport Park indicated Quinn would likely bring the Australian GT Championship to New Zealand for a second round of the series. However the failed attempt to buy the Central North Island circuit now opens the opportunity to bring the series to Hampton Downs Motorsport Park.

Hampton Downs Motorsport Park has quickly become New Zealand’s busiest race facility boasting over 320 days of use per year. With the impending change of ownership, it is unclear what changes will be made to the circuit’s availability.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thesnowman
Hmm interesting
Oh Joy. Let's enjoy affordable track days while we can....
Old 03-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh Joy. Let's enjoy affordable track days while we can....
True, it could double, but the long track would be great. Will give the mod con flyboys a chance to catch the Orange T on the straights, aye?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?