Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
... and resident superlurker. We're most of the way there already, so I vote we at least shout Nick a curry when we hit a million views...
Hard to disagree with that one. I hope he knows what he started!!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:34 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponto
Hi Leong, sorry to hear you required another visit to the doc to get sorted, that's bad luck! Did you make it out at Levels and Ruapuna? Hope the rest of the runners made it through without incident, did the Juno come right?
Yes, was fine at Levels and Ruapuna. Levels was a perfect day weatherwise, although quite tight I really enjoy the track. It rained in the morning at Ruapuna first tow sessions wet, then fine after - still got 4 sessions in the dry. Yes the Juno was at Ruapuna.... don't recall seeing it at Levels, but could be wrong.

Ruapuna was pretty cool cos John Baker (Prestigio) improved so much that he passed a Cayman and Focus RS. He'd been improving since Levels with tuition from Dave Allison.

Last edited by Leong72; 03-25-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leong72
Talking about coincidences.... I had to have my infection drained in Queenstown the morning we were to drive to Timaru on the SITT. Wasn't able to drive really so Dave Allison kindly drove me in my car to Timaru, in convoy with Robert, Luke and Les. We drove into the motel that Les had booked for them and it turns out to be the same motel that I'd booked into... My booking made at least four months previously. And we had been allocated rooms next to each other. Timaru has a very large number of motels.
That was quite the coincidence!
SITT was a great trip with some real characters. Quite a few pinch myself moments with the scenery around us and cars infront of us. Was really good to meet Leong on the way and then Ponto at Highlands. Leong’s M5 really was a star of the days. The noise was unreal and best described by a few a like the F18 flyby at the Grand Prix- silent on the approach and then a wall of noise screaming past! You drove it very well too Leong.
Some memorable drives for me down the West Coast in my car in convoy. I drove the RS from Cromwell to Timaru through the MacKenzie country and a few slow laps in the GT3 at Timaru. Rob was ‘yoda’ for me on the trip and really helped improved my driving skills in a 911. Dave was really handy teaching me the lines too.
I’m really pleased with how my car performed- despite getting grief my car looking like a ‘rally car’ with my standard ride height! A smidge under 3,000kms and other than a few stone chips and cracked fog lights from the West Coast road works it’s all in one piece. No re-occurrence of a passenger window that didn’t want to come back up at Highlands with Ponto too. Paul, you were totally right, tyres made a big, big difference. I borrowed some 18” 997 rims with sticky tyres from Rob and it made a big difference being able to lean on the car.
All in all I can see why you guys liked it so much when you did it last year. Had a great time a learned a lot from it too.
Here’s a few pictures:
Attached Images     
Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by PHG
HUF 962, the red car spotted was HUF 961.. I love those bits of co-incidence which pop up in life..
Speaking of coincidences, driving over the bridge this afternoon I saw a red Cayman... Rego HUF961! Thought it looked familiar.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ Cool photos Luke.

What did you think of the RS. If it's possible to separate the buzz of driving an 'RS' from the experience, was there much of a difference from your car??
Old 03-25-2015, 04:36 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

that's a great pic - 3 pcars and a big central otago backdrop. where is that taken?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

London 964 owner group goes global http://www.world964owners.com/

Personally I hope the other NZ 964 owners feel included enough in local Porsche madness as is to not feel the need to open a NZ chapter.

There is strength in diversity and having spent a few days on the Pistonheads' R forum thread I can safely say that common ownership doesn't always guarantee some other owners aren't *****, not that I've met a 964 owner even close to that description yet....
Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
London 964 owner group goes global http://www.world964owners.com/

Personally I hope the other NZ 964 owners feel included enough in local Porsche madness as is to not feel the need to open a NZ chapter.

There is strength in diversity and having spent a few days on the Pistonheads' R forum thread I can safely say that common ownership doesn't always guarantee some other owners aren't *****, not that I've met a 964 owner even close to that description yet....
I agree John. I rather enjoy the diversity of Pcars at the local get together's and online groups.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Does anyone here use Swann Insurance? I have a favorable quote though am still investigating other options, namely Prestigio.

Swann policy include cover for MSA NZ, NZMS and FIA licensed "Club and Classic" track events. They also cover on driving courses on track where "a professional driving instructor is present". I've also spoken to the insurer about this policy wording

Has anyone had any first hand experience trying to claim such or at least have the cover and any advice?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Does anyone here use Swann Insurance? I have a favorable quote though am still investigating other options, namely Prestigio. Swann policy include cover for MSA NZ, NZMS and FIA licensed "Club and Classic" track events. They also cover on driving courses on track where "a professional driving instructor is present". I've also spoken to the insurer about this policy wording Has anyone had any first hand experience trying to claim such or at least have the cover and any advice?
Tony Maddock used them and claimed
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2015, 01:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Seen this one Dave?

http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car2.html
Old 03-26-2015, 02:01 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
That must be a pretty rare shade of silver!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Emailed news from Macca and Jo....

Ten days on, the “adventure” part of the experience starts wearing a bit thin. Shaving every second day, cold showers, limited/slow internet, generator power for 2 x 4hr blocks a day. Limited running water. Much worse however for those in the village of course!

However things are looking up. We have mains power today finally after two weeks absence, which means our bores work and the wi-fi router fired up and even delivered me an internet signal (albeit faint as there is only one tower left that our microwave can receive from and its 14kms across the water). However these small mercies are like gold. This weekend we can finally look forward to a warm shower by candesence light and maybe the relief of a DVD movie. It’s amazing how we take these things for granted.

Last night it rained. This put a damper on things literally as we awoke to drips on our bed and the floors. First rain since PAM and a good way to establish which of our roofs leaked and which repairs are holding. We were staying at my parents place up the road as it has mains water which works without need for power. Our houses down the road stayed dry thankfully. In the village things were a bit uglier as dirt floors under holed ceilings tend to turn to mud. However tarps are available and most have secured their properties from the water till more permanent repairs can be made.

Fundraising has gone very well indeed, and been occupying much of our time. We are closing in on 26K USD and it’s our hope we will make 30-35K USD by the time we are finished. Our car buddies have been incredibly generous too. A number gave 500 or 1000 USD mostly because it was some-one they “knew”, but have never met. The power of the internet. Very humbling. Funds become available when the campaign ends, so in the meantime we have started to purchase timber and tomorrow roofing iron on account until we can settle up. We met with a local village builder today as well as the families involved for siting the new structures. There will be two complete new home builds with 3-4 home/roof/lean too kitchen repairs with the balance of materials and labour applied to others needing rebuilding/repairs. We will start to get stuck into this on 06 April and hope the projects should be finished end of May.

Help such as yours and Michelle’s with donations and organisation of materials for the people here is invaluable. Really want to thank you and Jan for this. Time is the most valuable commodity when applying to these events.

Hoping your SI tour goes wonderfully. Keep us informed of your adventures, Im sure Ill be able to sneak more peaks at RL over the next week or two as time allows and maybe even FB and other sites to keep across what’s happening with everyone. I have to admit that Porsche have been a long way from my mind these last 2 weeks…but I do miss the banter!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update Doug.

Pete, this could be a stale ad, but amazing if it isn't. $100,000 for an all but brand new Cayman R as it's VAT Qualifying http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-car...6745?logcode=p

Last edited by John McM; 03-26-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:07 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks for the update Doug.

Pete, this could be a stale ad, but amazing if it isn't. $100,000 for an all but brand new Cayman R as it's VAT Qualifying http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-car...6745?logcode=p
It's not red - no chance of a sale to Pete............

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?