Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

or pts...........still?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Two white GT cars in the garage or are you picking it for resale? You are getting the buckets, right? They are a definite plus on the R. I can't imagine a GT4 not having them.
John not choosing for resale (like GT3 hoping that won't be an issue buying well on way in). White because I like it. I'm really happy with it on GT3 Would have those side air vent pods wrapped in black vinyl post delivery for additional contrast.

Jo says definitely no on buckets for Europe due to her back. I want those for resale as I won't be using car for track or touring the GT3 better for those tasks. I have cunning plan. Spend money saved on white over Carmine on buckets and borrow old 997 comfort seat from dealer for passenger seat for Euro tour? Happy wife happy life?

Graeme. Does look like PTS will happen Nov & FEB but it's almost 5k nzd so will wait and decide later. Truth is I may not keep this car so want to keep total spend well under 80k euro....
Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John not choosing for resale (like GT3 hoping that won't be an issue buying well on way in). White because I like it. I'm really happy with it on GT3 Would have those side air vent pods wrapped in black vinyl post delivery for additional contrast. Jo says definitely no on buckets for Europe due to her back. I want those for resale as I won't be using car for track or touring the GT3 better for those tasks. I have cunning plan. Spend money saved on white over Carmine on buckets and borrow old 997 comfort seat from dealer for passenger seat for Euro tour? Happy wife happy life? Graeme. Does look like PTS will happen Nov & FEB but it's almost 5k nzd so will wait and decide later. Truth is I may not keep this car so want to keep total spend well under 80k euro....
If it's not for track or touring what use do you have for it?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RUF Yellowbird didnt sell. Highest bid was 24,090,000 Yen
Old 03-05-2015, 05:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...first reviews are out. Very very firm on road and heavy clutch as expected. Definitely not a touring car but we knew that. Great track car and targa tho!!!...
Macca - the white does look sharp - it's just the mini-me thing as Pete noted.

Especially if you are going to use both at once - Jo and you will just need the 'his' and 'hers' vanity plates to complete the package.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:53 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

I should state Im not a dealer or an importer. I just love car ****.

I dont know what to think of this, a 996.1 GT3 going to auction today:

Name:  983bd9c17df7b012a5c7d1a85da2f712_zpse298ce78.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  464217121f5d479d9577f79bdd62326c_zpsefc044f3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  389e68f8671dfed629d0d586fedf986b_zps4ddba0a3.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  ab7d821db6af7e0abe06682ff0cd41b2_zps36d9f5ab.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  257.4 KB
Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If it's not for track or touring what use do you have for it?
GT3 = Track + Touring for wife and I most of my track work in the last two years has involved 1500 to 5000km of touring per 2-3 track days - will be doing NITT each year and SITT each year in GT3 plus a few HD days when/if they present themself). GT3 by far better touring option - (rear suspension more compliant than Cayman as not strut only but wishbone as per all 911s), interior larger and PDK means Jo gets to drive her "investment" (shes put a couple of 1000 km on the GT3 already). PDK at the track for the obvious reasons but also low chances of gearbox and engine rebuilds. GT3 already has buckets (heated good for winter touring), half cage and 6 points with 2kg FE and better audio/bluetooth functionality already.

GT4 = Europe + Sunday drives + Targa . The car will be more fun for Sunday drives where you can get more out of the chassis (I hope) for less speed. For Targa the car is reliable, fast, lower value if it all goes wrong (and lets face it its more dangerous here than the track) plus I think the GT3 is "too much car" for Targa Tour. The modded 993 works well here and I think the GT4 would too. I have to confess Europe is the biggest reason for me getting the GT4 today - Im into bucket list stuff and this is another one of those where the experience is far more worthy than the material object for me.

Of course all this assumes a GT3 + GT4 only garage (I cant have 3 cars) but in reality it may not work out that way. Possibility exists GT4 prices could become so attractive in UK that I never pay the VAT and onsell for break even/profit after 9000 km with new owner taking VAT on for registration in Europe. RHD cars will be thin on the ground possibly. However Ive heard today likely will be PDK GT4 unveiled possibly Sept 2016, also talk that they may put GT4RS into production and I believe later this year we may hear of Spyder so really going to be a busy market place - who knows what will happen...
Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Got ya, so that is code for 'it's a bucket list fling' and we won't see it in NZ.

CCS will be happy so will Graeme, Leong and R owners that you're not increasing the NZ supply.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:12 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
The rams end up leaking, and the sensor is dodgy, and not an easy amateur job. I know a few have decommissioned the sensor and had the foil locked up.
My sender keeps suggesting a fault but the rams are working fine, altho I know I have lost a little fluid out of one. The oil pressure sensor is another weak link too.. a common fault apparently
Good advice Phil. Pel - all 996T wings seem to die eventually. Mine started throwing errors and raising unevenly at around the 90,000 km mark so I pulled the rams apart and serviced them. Fiddly, but not too hard, though I would recommend getting or making the wing removal tool, unless someone likes hearing you swear. I also had to grind a spanner down so it was narrow enough to fit the nuts on the rams, but you can borrow mine if you want. Her wing is working properly again since but I'd gotten to like the ducktail look so I've left the controller unplugged for now and just manually raise it for track or race.

IMO, the wing failure stems from the wing controller waiting until you've done a certain time or distance (distance I think) under 70 odd kph before it lowers the wing. If you park overnight directly after a fast drive without tootling through say a 50 kph zone first, the wing stays up, with those massive return springs stressing the hydraulics. The result is an eventual leak from one or both rams as the seals give up the struggle. More rarely, the wing drive motor or the ABS plastic yoke on the screw may break too, and the position sensing microswitches are pretty fragile when handled. If you always remember to manually lower the wing when parked for more than a few hours, it should last you longer.

When I can be bothered, I'll plug the controller back in and wire in a manual over-ride to turn the wing off when I don't want it doing its thing. Most like the wing up look and there are cheap kits on eBay that replace the hydraulics with lighter fixed posts - a popular option.

Not sure where I put them but I also took a bunch of photos documenting the wing mechanism service. Previously discussed the problem here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...spoiler-3.html

and my DIY write up of the service I carried out is at the below link (sans photos though sorry):

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...land-1080.html

My pet peeve with the wing is that the rams are cylindrical rather than a more aerodynamic design. Even the eBay fixed ones are round...
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
The RUF Yellowbird didnt sell. Highest bid was 24,090,000 Yen
Ok. Thanks for following through on that Nik. The market obviously spoke here. At 270K NZD I should say unless you know the car well already its a lot of money to take a risk. I would also think that was around ball park for a non RUF vinned car but that pure speculation on my part.

The 996.1 GT3 looks like alot of fun for the right money. Love the RSR kit :-)

Finally my internet may allow me to post that RUF pictures & stuff. I cant get the article I want up but will try again later...
Attached Images     
Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Got ya, so that is code for 'it's a bucket list fling' and we won't see it in NZ.

CCS will be happy so will Graeme, Leong and R owners that you're not increasing the NZ supply.
John. Honestly? I really have no idea will I've driven it. If I really love it I will keep it and sell the GT3 or 993, if it doesnt speak to me that loud I will consider other options as and when they present themselves. Im not rich, so like you have to make the best purchasing decisions I can with my money. If I can own these cars without loosing any money that works very well for me too. However I cant see in the future - all I see is it could be a grand way to spend a few months in Europe. My wife is putting her foot down. This will not be a garage creep exercise. Something will have to give between now and October 2016. I would like to finish my 993 project with the engine work I always dreamed of and a chance to participate in some vintage rallys in Europe in 2018+2019. I cant have it all so then it comes down to GT3 + GT4. The GT4 will have to be great because Im a 911 snob as I said...

Paul/Pete. Yeah the mini me GT3 thing is a problem I agree. In the end its a coin toss. Shame teh section isnt more appealing. Its worse with the new RS you get white/Gt Silver/Purple or Orange/red!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course all this assumes a GT3 + GT4 only garage (I cant have 3 cars) but in reality it may not work out that way. Possibility exists GT4 prices could become so attractive in UK that I never pay the VAT and onsell for break even/profit after 9000 km with new owner taking VAT on for registration in Europe. RHD cars will be thin on the ground possibly. However Ive heard today likely will be PDK GT4 unveiled possibly Sept 2016, also talk that they may put GT4RS into production and I believe later this year we may hear of Spyder so really going to be a busy market place - who knows what will happen...

Certainly understand the bucket list thing. but sounds entirely rational too Macca. too many choices makes it hard.
One thing I know is that if we get organized for Euro 2016 I am definitely keen to do Spa and 'Ring. Sounds like Pete too
Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088

Certainly understand the bucket list thing. but sounds entirely rational too Macca. too many choices makes it hard.
One thing I know is that if we get organized for Euro 2016 I am definitely keen to do Spa and 'Ring. Sounds like Pete too
Its going to be fun. Ring Im interested. Spa other side of Europe so will let you boys exiting Amsterdam do that Im heading other direction. Next time!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM
mjg
Pro

Its going to be fun. Ring Im interested. Spa other side of Europe so will let you boys exiting Amsterdam do that Im heading other direction. Next time!
Harden up Macca, it's less than an hour and a half away!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I find myself visiting the 996 gt forum more and more. I am secretly lusting after a gt car of that era. When I sit down to think about it and try to rationalize it just doesn't add up having more than one fun car. However, I just couldn't part with Mr Black. This is a disease and I am confessing to the afflicted. They say the first step to recovery is to admit the problem
put yourself and Paul out of your misery and buy the 60k 996 gt3! Someone has too, Imagine it after your detailing skills and with proper gt3 rims, and replacing the carbon interior with some original parts. the mk1 seems to be favoured, haven't driven one myself but should be a worthy p car investment.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?