Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help figuring out rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The entire unit comes prefilled, bled, and a new wiring harness. Very easy to install. I gave up on replacing a leaking ram, the bleed process is very touchy since the volume of oil is small.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
The entire unit comes prefilled, bled, and a new wiring harness. Very easy to install. I gave up on replacing a leaking ram, the bleed process is very touchy since the volume of oil is small.
Where did you buy it from?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Gaudin Porsche
List 1928.43
Gaudin web price 1386.06

http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/pa...?siteid=215796
Old 11-03-2013, 05:23 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is your solution http://cabriolethydraulics.com/products-rear-wing.php
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Just sent them an email. Thanks!

Have you used them before?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
Just sent them an email. Thanks!

Have you used them before?
So far two people on Renntech used them for spoiler system overhaul and they are happy about the result!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spoiler / wing ram problems and cleaning - 996 turbo.

Originally Posted by SimonK
In my case the oil pump failed. Switches rarely fail - that's just wishful thinking. The oil pump consists of two parts - hydraulic part and the motor part. In my case the motor part failed. Complete unit is 1500$. However, my local car electrician repaired the motor. He said it wasn't easy but managed to separate the motor from the pump and then rewired the internals. Cost? 100$. So, the good news is that if the motor part fails, competent car electrician should be able to fix it. Good luck.

Ps. Just connect 12V battery straight to the motor. If it doesn't work here is your answer.
Great news on the $100 rewiring option thanks. Having recently spent a good part of a weekend pulling my system apart on the bench and cleaning it internally, I should point out that the motors do look to have some form of overheating protection or something though. At one point I thought I'd killed both the pump motor from my car and the spare one I had as neither would respond to 12V current applied. Left them for an hour and both were fine again.

If the motor runs, or tries to, with direct power applied but the rams/wing don't move (and you've briefly tried both polarities) the 3 most likely things that may be happening are:

1. Hydraulic fluid too low/empty. There are Rennlist guides on topping it up.

2. Broken or jammed 'yoke'. That electric motor drives a large screw, which in turn forces a captive block shaped plastic yoke to go backwards and forwards, in turn driving the two little pistons/plungers on the other side which apply pressure to the hydraulics for each side. Mine were fine but I re-lubricated the outside sliding faces of the yokes with grease as a precaution. Graunching noises likely mean a broken yoke. If just jammed a few sharp taps midway along the motor housing may release it. Don't dent the aluminum though as it forms the track for the yoke!

3. Hydraulics gummed up. The little hydraulic pistons inside the brass cylinders may be stuck (gummed up). I cleaned and refitted mine, then re-assembled and re-filled with Pentone power steering fluid with stop-leak using a straw to fill the reservoirs on the motor body rather than the rams. I would then attach the rams and force them up using 12V, before inverting them, waiting for the air to rise (tapping lightly) and then cracking open the connections a little to bleed air out, before lowering the system and topping up again. Repeated a few times to get the rams rising promptly and evenly.

My system is working fine again now but for a moment there I thought I'd cooked my motors as they weren't responding. So just don't be too quick to write them off if they stop on you. If they really are dead then SimonK's $100 rewinding by an auto electrician sounds a brilliant solution.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes sense that there is a thermistor or similar device to cut out motor on overheat, like if the microswitch failed to engage. Must have happened with mine, as it overheated and there was a black crystallized material holding one brush open, something overheated and melted, causing the brush to lock up. Really a very poor design in my book. Porsche farmed this out I'm guessing. Since the '89 964, the wing lift devices were mechanical. Yes the rams look cool, but it's what's underneath the lid that bothers me.

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red

Quick Reply: Need help figuring out rear spoiler