Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Still early days, but check this out - came about on the HLT forums. http://mafea.de/obd24u/ Helpful if you know german.
It looks too technical for me. I can imagine building it, making a mistake and having no idea what was wrong. Hopefully someone will create a product or John makes up some units. I can just see him installing one in Lola so he can monitor me, heh.

Reading about the karting makes me think I was silly not signing up for it too.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
It looks too technical for me. I can imagine building it, making a mistake and having no idea what was wrong. Hopefully someone will create a product or John makes up some units. I can just see him installing one in Lola so he can monitor me, heh. Reading about the karting makes me think I was silly not signing up for it too.
As long as you are in the rear vision mirror that's all the monitoring I need

Karting video publishing now. I really need to get my iMac sorted so I can finish compiling the SITT videos. GoPro Studio on a $500 laptop just doesn't cut it.

When you see the video you'll see how twitchy the Karts are. Unfortunately I did a Paul and left the cap on the GoPro for our second session so there is no footage of us getting better. How to describe the experience? Firstly, it was damp and we were on control tyres, not stickies. As a result we were spinning if we didn't brake in a straight line or overcooked the throttle application. Secret seemed to be moderate throttle and brake, keeping momentum up. I have to say that it is also a game for smaller physiques, Walter and I were cramped. Maybe it's easier when you have your own seat?

So overall thoughts? Not for me. The basic reason is that it's a lot of outlay for an uncertain goal. It costs to be competitive in both money and time. You need a lot of both. I would be better off concentrating on some driving lessons and making the most of existing machinery, with maybe a 2k cup car if I go racing next year.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Kart have a go day
Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Kart have a go day http://youtu.be/sEPAzxbgdSE
Thanks for posting the vid John (+ for editing out how long it took for me to get my backside into that cart). The kerb-hopping fat guy in red 68 appreciated it...
Old 07-27-2014, 06:26 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

great fun. shame it was damp.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Thanks for posting the vid John (+ for editing out how long it took for me to get my backside into that cart). The kerb-hopping fat guy in red 68 appreciated it...
Walter, the maximum competitive weight in Karts is ~ 100kg. I think we missed our window of opportunity a few lunches ago.

I thought it could be a less expensive way of improving car driving but I now know it's more a motor sport in its own right. Maybe with gear that fitted and stick tyres we could rip it up but Andrew told me it takes two years to be competitive so it's an expensive way to get more track time by the time you are kitted out etc.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
great fun. shame it was damp.
Graeme, it dried up for the second session so we were able to get more cornering speed but in the damp it felt like the kart would swap ends with any minor mistake and in fact that's what happened a lot....

My vision of popping down on a lazy Sunday and doing a few laps was probably a but naive. It would take a fair outlay and I think that money is better spent on lessons.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

thing is if you are competitive in Karts you are pretty damn good since its got everyone in it from the young guys that will be the next Evans, Stanaway, Bamber etc and older guys that have been doing it 20 years. swapping ends first out is pretty normal such a short wheel base and no suspension or bushes in steering of any type. If you can get the feel for grip in a Kart, you will find it easy in a car because everything happens slower. Can't really get it all in 15 or 30 mins
Old 07-27-2014, 06:23 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John - thanks again for getting us onto these kart sessions - and thanks Graeme for suggesting karting those 100 odd pages back.

thing is if you are competitive in Karts you are pretty damn good since its got everyone in it from the young guys that will be the next Evans, Stanaway, Bamber etc and older guys that have been doing it 20 years. swapping ends first out is pretty normal such a short wheel base and no suspension or bushes in steering of any type.
That was my take too. Spun first time out of the pits entering turn 1 due to getting on the stoppers a bit too hard at the fastest point of the circuit (and only the rears have brakes) then again 60m later since the kart sputtered and died exiting a hairpin when I was expecting some steadying power (later told that spinning them tends to flood the motor, making them run rough for a while). Had one more spin soon after, then kept the front end forwards, with no repeats in the last 8 or 9 laps.

If you can get the feel for grip in a Kart, you will find it easy in a car because everything happens slower. Can't really get it all in 15 or 30 mins
That's how I found it - like a 2 or 3x concentrated racing meet in a very twitchy car. I thought I had to be pretty quick to catch the back of my Turbo without electronic aids but the carts break loose much faster. As they pointed out afterwards, their wheelbase is less than their width, and it shows. Awesome though and I was surprised at how well they handled the kerbs. Good upper body workout too - shoulders still reminding me.

BTW done properly it looks like this - Jono Lester at the same KMW track in a similar but nicer Rotax Max:

27s laps vs the 35s odd we were running it in session 1. Session 2 we all improved but had no video to time off. Would've been handy seeing this before we ran.

John, on track coaching is well worthwhile, but if you're also still looking for some extra handling practice that falls between karts and what we do at HD, have you considered gymkhanas? You're then even busier than in the karts but in a more stable vehicle and the worst case scenario is that you hit a soft cone.

Last edited by 996tnz; 07-27-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What cars were you guys driving to the karts? I didn't see any Porsche's when I pulled up.

I also had a couple of spins on the first couple of laps as the brakes were very grabby at lower speeds, guy infront of my locked up and spun twice causing me to follow suit as I had to go on the brakes too, third time he did it though I managed to keep it straight and go around him so it was all good from there on. Second session was much better, just went out in front and built up a big gap so I got to really get a feel for things and start using the throttle in corners etc. Definitely feeling it in my arms today! I really enjoyed it despite the seat being a bit of a squeeze (understatement!) but it did aggravate an old elbow issue quite a bit so I'm not sure if I could do a full race at full pace.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
What cars were you guys driving to the karts? I didn't see any Porsche's when I pulled up. I also had a couple of spins on the first couple of laps as the brakes were very grabby at lower speeds, guy infront of my locked up and spun twice causing me to follow suit as I had to go on the brakes too, third time he did it though I managed to keep it straight and go around him so it was all good from there on. Second session was much better, just went out in front and built up a big gap so I got to really get a feel for things and start using the throttle in corners etc. Definitely feeling it in my arms today! I really enjoyed it despite the seat being a bit of a squeeze (understatement!) but it did aggravate an old elbow issue quite a bit so I'm not sure if I could do a full race at full pace.
Walt has his Audi, Chris brought his 997 and I had Herman. I think we left about 2:30 ish.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Ralf G
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
AIM Solo looks to be the most popular in RSG. Considering getting one myself, maybe even the DL version that can read and overlay car data too. If insurance cover needs to be maintained, my understanding is that it needs to be covered or mounted out of sight while on track. Others will know more.

Murphy's law will see one twice as good and half the price released the week after we buy it of course...
Yep Murphy's law, I am looking at http://aimsolo.com.au/ at the moment. It seems to be a good price. It is around 510NZD. But I might get one in NZ. Who knows a NZ seller?
I assume it isn't really an item which comes up in trademe often?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
Walt has his Audi, Chris brought his 997 and I had Herman. I think we left about 2:30 ish.
Ah I think I would have just missed you then.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

I haven't been involved in the process but this from the organizer of the container from LA
prices for 4 tyres so far and he says incl gst
NZ$45: 1.7 cubic feet Alfa Guilietta: 205/50/15,
NZ$92: 3.4 cubic feet Toyota Prado: 265/65/17
NZ$105: 3.9 cubic feet Audi Q7, 275/45/20
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

imagine that Jono Lester vid with 3 Karts in front and 3 behind - sharpens up the mind and reflexes real quick

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?