Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. that's exactly how I remember that road! I was lead car in our group of two, no one to follow, utter blackness and no Tom Tom to guide me. I was doing 104 kmph and having to guess what was over the next hill. It was a good adrenalin booster to set the scene for the day! You guys must have been travelling quickly. I reckon we only made 7-8 mins on you in 140km!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That Taupo to Manfield NITT last year - before dawn absolutely hosing down didn't feel good - but then turns out to be a great dry day at manfield on track until about 3pm. That was a good trackday.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
That Taupo to Manfield NITT last year - before dawn absolutely hosing down didn't feel good - but then turns out to be a great dry day at manfield on track until about 3pm. That was a good trackday.
Even Herman felt twitchy in that deluge. I don't think I've driven in much wetter conditions. It kept Macca under control behind me.

Looking back at my photos the R was there as well. Stuart got around!
Attached Images    

Last edited by John McM; 03-02-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Hello from another 944 owner. I have an '86 non-turbo and used to post in this thread a little more frequently, until it started going up 50 pages a week :P I frequent the 944 board and the 968 board as I have a 968 6spd parts car project I've been sitting on since forever.

Also, an AAA+++ to mikey_audiogeek. I have traded parts with him before and he was very communicative and helpful.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah. Paul and I are peas from a pod as youve probably figured by now. Its why Im the only one who gets to call him Buba. We screwed up in Royal fashion taking the wrong route out of Queenstown - had to double back after a few KM and by then you guys were 15 minutes down the road and frankly in thar darkness there was no way were catching you. I think we were competing for theMacca cup that trip!
That being said we converged on the motorsport park within a few minutes of the main group so Im guessing we must have made some decent ground considering I stopped for 4-5 mins to wait for Buba to catch up. One of the best upgrades I made to the 993 early on was HID headlights. In my dotage they have paid of a number of times on these Mad Hatter drives!

Epic drives tho. Like the Taupo to Manfield one in the dark in the monsoon last NITT!

Err........Some of your overtaking moves shall hopefully not be repeated.....

The 2013 NITT trip was awesome too - quite enjoyed doing over 102kph (or was it 200kph) in a GT3 - (can't remember??) - following Chris B, I managed to make Matt a bit nervous in his own car...... driving the desert road as it should be done......

It was quite scary in the morning as the sun doesn't melt all the ice and the conditions change by the corner depending on whether the sun has reached them.

I remember following ‘Dan the Van Man’ on the drive down and struggling to keep up with him in the C3 - I was a bit nervous on a few of those corners.......
Old 03-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jinxed - good to hear from you again. You front-engined water pumper boys sure getting some lov'in around here lately :-)

Graeme. Manfield always turns it on for us no matter what!

John. Funny you say. I was reviewing some pictures from SITT a few nights ago and I found a whole tonne that featured your R! Its like it was meant to be and its already done the NITT & SITT with you LOL!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Err........Some of your overtaking moves shall hopefully not be repeated.....

The 2013 NITT trip was awesome too - quite enjoyed doing over 102kph (or was it 200kph) in a GT3 - (can't remember??) - following Chris B, I managed to make Matt a bit nervous in his own car...... driving the desert road as it should be done......

It was quite scary in the morning as the sun doesn't melt all the ice and the conditions change by the corner depending on whether the sun has reached them.

I remember following ‘Dan the Van Man’ on the drive down and struggling to keep up with him in the C3 - I was a bit nervous on a few of those corners.......
I know the one you mean mate (I really didn't expect to over take a road train at 5.30am up a hill in the dark of nowhere to find another one coming in the opposite direction over the hill!). Her in doors says I only shine in situations of madness, danger or utter chaos (at all other times Im apparently inert) and I think it might be the only reason I alive today. Must say however I wont be repeating a move like that again - I think I must be getting close to all of my 9 lives!

Actually I think you were following me in the GT3 and I was following Chris B in my 993! Vinegar Hill? Was a great drive. Pete M poked his Cayman engine on that stretch behind us! I think we never got above 103.

Dans command of that Van make shame of our 911s. Remember the Mt Cook to Timaru run (road kill count = 3++). He was keeping up with the group pretty fine! That was another fun ride.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:10 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Epic drives tho. Like the Taupo to Manfield one in the dark in the monsoon last NITT!
Epic indeed and seared in my memory too, not least for some of the longest passing manoeuvres ever on those long and deluged straights before Turangi. With that standing water I just couldn't afford to build up too much of a speed differential. Also for one of my shortest passes ever - of a truck and trailer that was swerving into the middle of the road to block me on every little straight winding up onto the desert road. Waited until he came out of a slow corner then rocketed past before he could block me again. Strangest thing I've experienced in all my years of driving.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Macca, I got your special fluids. (Sent you an email but you are clearly out of the office so I'm going to have to yell it from the trees)

The man said don't overdo it or you'll get the runs but those spots should disappear ok.

(was that my trip to the doc or to Repco?...can't remember who said what now)
Old 03-03-2015, 01:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul - 964'Turbo runs
Old 03-03-2015, 01:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hey Macca, I got your special fluids. (Sent you an email but you are clearly out of the office so I'm going to have to yell it from the trees) The man said don't overdo it or you'll get the runs but those spots should disappear ok. (was that my trip to the doc or to Repco?...can't remember who said what now)
SRF?
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

All this reminiscing about SITT/NITT has reaffirmed my feeling that I've done the right thing by signing up for next year. Hopefully a few more track days and lots more driving this year will put me in a good position to take advantage of the experience. Can't wait.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Epic indeed and seared in my memory too, not least for some of the longest passing manoeuvres ever on those long and deluged straights before Turangi. With that standing water I just couldn't afford to build up too much of a speed differential. Also for one of my shortest passes ever - of a truck and trailer that was swerving into the middle of the road to block me on every little straight winding up onto the desert road. Waited until he came out of a slow corner then rocketed past before he could block me again. Strangest thing I've experienced in all my years of driving.
I've had that driving along SH16; (empty) horse float and land rover in front, driving along the middle of the road on every straight (and some corners) to prevent me from passing. Lasted about 15 minutes, until other traffic forced them to behave. Pretty disgusting behaviour, and incredibly dangerous. I'm sure Darwin will catch up with them at some point...
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Thanks mate just PM'd you. That potion should sort the bott out real well!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
I was driving BB in that downpour exiting Taupo. Must admit I slowed right down so I could see. Heaps of aquaplainable water on the road in the big downpours. Then later I realised I should have filled up with gas at Taupo. Drove the last 30ks into Waiuru with aircon off, 80kph, coasting down hills etc as you do. Earlier I tried to wave SteveR down as he flew past in his 964 but he was just a blur I was going so slow. Learnt a lesson. Fill up first not after :-P
Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake you'll love the SITT and NITT. No need to practice first as you get plenty of track time and advice. Plus playday usually have a trainer available for a reasonable fee which helps.

Main thing is to stress test the car at HD in the lead up so you can be confident everything will hold up on the trip. Tyre choice pretty important too with both road and track work. Plenty of advice here on that count.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?