Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca, I have joined Greenpeace............... (and saving the whales..........)
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2015, 08:41 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Leave you guys to own de-spoilered cars - mine have tails.......!!
Yeah agree...........
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably agree with you, but I am a whale tail fan and they improve the stability of the cars at speed. G series cars need them at speed.

I have no desire to get a spare engine lid and de-spoiler as when I was a kid, Porsche's had whale tails, and my car is a throw back to my childhood :-)

A whale tail sets it apart from the boring silver and black water pumpers........

P.s. - I wonder if we start de-spoilering GT3's for fashion reasons soon??

Leave you guys to own de-spoilered cars - mine have tails.......!!
I'm either way. My SC with a Turbo tail was wrong. The full rubber tails that adorn SC's are horrid. If I had a 3.2 sport, the tail that it came with is right. I'd probably go between naked and tailed just for a change everynow and then.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Fair enough. Everyone has a different take on it. Never been a fan of those large heavy rubber edged 80s spoilers. Remind me of shoulder pads and hair highlights, Boy George etc :-). I think you'd have to be doing above 180 kmph Paul to get any noticeable aero. 911s under steer so you want to get some downforce on the nose to balance the rear downforce no? Me suspects they were a fashion statement only although I agree they are period correct. Lowered by an inch or two and you COG will make more difference than your aero. Anyway it's a feel good car not a car to be raced so enjoy it as it is...
Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I like it and dont really have a problem with the interior. I think I could get used to it. Its a bit different but as it shipped from factory and being a Manual C2 probably presents fair value at 37K (assumes it sells around that) given its ex Uk and high ,mileage and not doubt could do with a engine/gearbox rebuild in the next few years plus some tidying up of paint and tin work (factor 15k+6k+6k = 27K + 37k = 64K for what would then be a nice reliable package good for another 200k km). Im sure there will be shocks, wheel bearings, brakes discs, oil lines and other stuff that present themselves over time. Dependent on the integrity of the body shell this could be a lower risk option than the red ex UK C2 which sold just recently? Then again makes Pauls ex 993 for 25% more look a bit or a bargain NZ new with 92k km, one lady owner never raced in the Porsche Series or used on RSG track days etc...:-)

The ex Japan cars are looking more tempting like this 1990 C2 with 108,000 km Grade 4. Landed in NZ for ~ $70k
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2015, 04:56 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I feel the opposite is true John, 12 months ago they were not selling and could be picked up for half the price (exaggerated by the NZD). The popularity of Porsche and the rise of air cooled values has had a direct and tangible impact on Japanese auction prices. There's still the occasional "steal" but I suspect these are more often IB or earlier models - the 964+ 911's are now more expensive than in NZ.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agree with Jake. Ive only imported one Japanese Porsche and it was a 6spd 968 approximately 11 years ago. Was in very original condition, grade 4 with 60k km etc. Car arrived as stated but had $15K of deferred maintenance. Basically had been used as a weekend car only and rarely serviced. Belts, water pump, tyres, brakes,some interior and a clutch later it was fairly reliable. I think by then any market advantage i got buying ex Japan over a NZ example had dissapeared. However there were almost no 968 non CS 6 spd sold in NZ new so I didn't have many options and it was my daily driver. Japanese cars can be found that are very original and hardly touched from when they left the factory (mine still had the factory cotton handling gloves for the spare tyre etc!) but they are usually only that original because a dealer has only touched them once or twice in their whole lives! Japan is a big country with a wide range of climates year round from snow to humidity and there are many towns which are 500km+ to get to a Porsche dealer.

There was alot of magazine banter about the 968 but I didnt find it a particularly memorable car. I guess I had a 993/RS/GT3 in the garage during its ownership which did it no favours. Its funny but this has been a theme for me. I felt the same way about others Ive owned. I replaced it with an e39 M5 and that was a revelation. Fast, comfortable and it handled well with some oversteer if you wanted it turning off the nannies. Seemed like a much smaller/lighter car than it was when you drove it. That was one of the cars I think the motor noters got right IMO. Great car owned it twice still miss it. I think they will become a bit cult in the future too....
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I feel the opposite is true John, 12 months ago they were not selling and could be picked up for half the price (exaggerated by the NZD). The popularity of Porsche and the rise of air cooled values has had a direct and tangible impact on Japanese auction prices. There's still the occasional "steal" but I suspect these are more often IB or earlier models - the 964+ 911's are now more expensive than in NZ.
It's more the availability than the price. The more time and money I spend on Herman I realise that I love old Porsches, but not tired old Porsches and its best to start with a good example, which is where I think the Japanese have a wider selection, albeit mostly left hand drive.

On a more immediate note, Herman made it down my drive in one piece, took a lift with Central Towing and is now at John's for the bodywork prior to the respray. A side trip to see what John has built and is building made me feel that Herman is in very good hands. The level of build quality on the Ghia is extraordinary. I've never seen anything like it. Dave would be there for hours poring over the detail.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:27 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A whale tail sets it apart from the boring silver and black water pumpers........
Keep telling yourself whatever you need, man.

Whaletails without turbos are just 80's posers.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
It's more the availability than the price. The more time and money I spend on Herman I realise that I love old Porsches, but not tired old Porsches and its best to start with a good example, which is where I think the Japanese have a wider selection, albeit mostly left hand drive. On a more immediate note, Herman made it down my drive in one piece, took a lift with Central Towing and is now at John's for the bodywork prior to the respray. A side trip to see what John has built and is building made me feel that Herman is in very good hands. The level of build quality on the Ghia is extraordinary. I've never seen anything like it. Dave would be there for hours poring over the detail.
Very keen to follow your work with John. I have a lot of faith in small operators like that who have any eye for detail. I'd have no issue considering John or someone similar for my 993 when she eventually gets a cosmetic refresh...

As you say the difficulty is finding "a good one". Same applies for 993. I frequently trawl the CCS car park looking at 964 & 993 and I rarely see one I'd classify as such. Some have reasonable cosmetics but are long in the tooth mechanically. Rarely are they both. I think in 10 years I've seen around 5-6 X 993 that would make the grade. I must have seem 60-70 993s in that time. NZers rarely go anywhere to the lengths of US or UK enthusiast owners in preparing and presenting their pride and joy. But at least we have great salt free roads.

Have enjoyed this trip despite a bit of iffy weather. 3 track days (two of them perfect clear days) a boys driving weekend and a few impromptu fast backroad drives has satiated me for a while. I covered 4000 kms in the 911s, about average as I seem to do around 12000km a year in them but they are generally driven hard for most of those so I can't complain. I know guys with exotic collections wouldn't put half that on 6 cars collectively over a year and when they do most of its to workshops and coffee & classics. It's a privilege I don't take for granted.

Next up is Dec/Jan. One track day only and the Festival Of Speed, but we will do a lot of touring in the GT3 over Xmas and get the car prepared for SITT (geo, tyres, brakes, pads, brake fluid and a service). Should be a bit of running around to keep me busy. Will organise a few back road drives for the initiated too so look out for those if you are in town over the summer break. Might even get the old girl out for some of those runs to keep the newer metal honest. By that time no doubt a number of cars will have changed hands throughout the group! John will have a lightly restored 964 and we'll see if Herman still goes to the track and gets driven in anger :-). Pete will have new RSS gear on the Cayman with more aggressive Geo and will be aiming for a 15 or better at HD, the racers (Chris B, Pete, Neil, Phil etc) will be lowering their PBs by a few seconds a track on their new Pierreli slicks that I see piled high with their names on them at CCS! Slicks are like main lining from what I'm told. Should make progress quicker this year although I'm sure set up will need playing with. Buba will have z221 on his GT3 and will be chasing the RSG Record on his home track. Dave will finally have his TRodin his garage and we are all anticipating its track debut......and life goes on.....
Old 10-03-2015, 12:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John is keen to take all of the glass out plus take apart the door frame so this will be a thorough quality job but not a wet sanded mirror finish. Like a new go car not a show car. You won't see paint lines at all.

Timeframe appears to be three weeks until I have Herman back which fits with my travel schedule and coincides with my leave period so I could be able to fit the engine and box then be driving by the 14/11 track day, albeit not on the track as I ceded my place.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:09 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

It's more the availability than the price. The more time and money I spend on Herman I realise that I love old Porsches, but not tired old Porsches and its best to start with a good example, which is where I think the Japanese have a wider selection, albeit mostly left hand drive.

On a more immediate note, Herman made it down my drive in one piece, took a lift with Central Towing and is now at John's for the bodywork prior to the respray. A side trip to see what John has built and is building made me feel that Herman is in very good hands. The level of build quality on the Ghia is extraordinary. I've never seen anything like it. Dave would be there for hours poring over the detail.
Thanks for the compliment John, Detail is one thing I'm good at.
I'll try and update here as well what is happening as it goes along.
Don't worry about finding that bumper bolt by the way, have it off in one piece.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Whaletails without turbos are just 80's posers.
Sad, but probably true..........

Don't worry I still have a boring silver car (that even comes with cows eyes) so I can fit in.........
Old 10-03-2015, 01:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John is keen to take all of the glass out plus take apart the door frame so this will be a thorough quality job but not a wet sanded mirror finish. Like a new go car not a show car. You won't see paint lines at all.

Timeframe appears to be three weeks until I have Herman back which fits with my travel schedule and coincides with my leave period so I could be able to fit the engine and box then be driving by the 14/11 track day, albeit not on the track as I ceded my place.
Six weeks sounds optimistic John. But it will provide us all with some good telly in the meantime. How is the gearbox rebuild going and do you have some pictures you can share. John will keep us updated on the paint side so we can get a feel for what is involved. Having done it once 10 years back I'm keen to get re acquainted.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:42 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Doug, Dave and anyone else - anyone keen for an early morning run somewhere? I need to take the old girl for a propper a drive. I haven't done more than about 20km's in traffic at the moment?

I'm really liking the old girl - I even cleaned her today??
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?