Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes I talked with Dean about the 991 Cup. They think it should be good for 1.06 when its properly set up. That's on slicks. No way a road going GT3 on factory tyres MPSC2 and factory -1.30 geo is going to be "only" 3s slower mate. Even with Michelin slicks and massive negative camber a circa 1400kg road car still won't break 1.09 I reckon. I've been talking to a few guys running these on the track in the States and the closest comparison yet for like to like driver is in that video I posted a few days ago in 2007 sequential 997 CUP and assumes 991 GT3 run on Hoosier R7 with -3.0F and -2.7R cambers, improved pads & fluids etc. Not sure why I'm questioning the performance of my own model car mate - would like you to win this argument just don't see it. If Stu could put in a low 12 or high 11 in my car as it is Id be impressed enough. Trofeo R may buy 1s better additional negative camber assumed. After that you are talking slicks, weight reduction, pads etc and Earl At the wheel going all out. It's not the comparison that was originally proposed... very happy to be proved wrong on this one...
Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

You'll have to let Paul take it around HD to see which of you is closest in your predictions...
Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
You'll have to let Paul take it around HD to see which of you is closest in your predictions...
Ha Ha........!

Like your thinking Jake (I'll slip you that hundie later............)
Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The GT3 has only had one day at HD so I dont have much to go by. You can see the theoretical best is 1.13.30 from this session. Id argue that it would take me a bit more experience at HD to get that. Car was 100% stock, engine and tyres were cold at the beginning of the nine lap session.

Lets say Stu would be 2s quicker than my theoretical best on the same day/same car. Thats 1.11.30. Im thinking Paul would be a second + slower so around 1.12.80

No need to go drive the car LOL!

P.S. Matt you may want to shut your eyes reading these armchair quarterback style threads. :-)
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2015, 01:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Nice site I hadn't seen before, especially for interior parts http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store/cart.html
Old 02-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

They are a good supplier John. Have used them a bit over the years for smaller items like lug nuts and badges. Deans been using them alot for his 70T.....
Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great run today, thanks Doug & Dave. That SC looks better in the flesh than I expected, the interior is mint given the age and miles. The wet tempered any eagerness in the morning with all of the cars getting a bit tail happy. Was quite relaxing have a slightly less aggressive pace, although it probably wasn't so relaxing pushing on tyres that have reached their teens... Dave, those seat patterns are fantastic, 1980's you is jealous I'm sure!
Nice photos Jake. Hope you figured out that little electrical issue.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Nice photos Jake. Hope you figured out that little electrical issue.
Not yet, to be honest I haven't put any effort into finding it yet. Suspect short somewhere in wiring in drivers door (most likely agitated by moisture). Really need to hook it up to PIWIS or Durametric and check for error codes.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Not yet, to be honest I haven't put any effort into finding it yet. Suspect short somewhere in wiring in drivers door (most likely agitated by moisture). Really need to hook it up to PIWIS or Durametric and check for error codes.
What's it doing? My 996TT driver door window gave me issues. Turned out to be a worn microswitch confusing the car as to whther the door was open or not. The window needs to move to close the door. PITA.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:37 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Fuse blown on the PCM circuit twice (head unit, amp, nav, cd changer). Happened at high revs each time. Today the memory buttons on the drivers door only worked intermittently and the lumbar support keeps randomly inflating one of the air bags in the drivers seat. Buttons on the seat work perfectly throughout issues.

First step is to check wiring in the back of the PCM (I have a hard wired Bluetooth unit I installed, but it has been in for months without issue). Next will be to pry the doors apart. Neither jobs are all that interesting but take time.

Troubleshooting electrical faults is a chore. Reminds me why I moved away from technical roles in IT; I don't have the patience I used to! Very tempted to take it in to CCS to sort but it's well within my ability and my stinginess outweighs my laziness (at the moment, won't last long).
Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Fuse blown on the PCM circuit twice (head unit, amp, nav, cd changer). Happened at high revs each time. Today the memory buttons on the drivers door only worked intermittently and the lumbar support keeps randomly inflating one of the air bags in the drivers seat. Buttons on the seat work perfectly throughout issues.

First step is to check wiring in the back of the PCM (I have a hard wired Bluetooth unit I installed, but it has been in for months without issue). Next will be to pry the doors apart. Neither jobs are all that interesting but take time.

Troubleshooting electrical faults is a chore. Reminds me why I moved away from technical roles in IT; I don't have the patience I used to! Very tempted to take it in to CCS to sort but it's well within my ability and my stinginess outweighs my laziness (at the moment, won't last long).
Sounds like a harness issue somewhere if you are getting short circuits and intermittant ghost operation of items. This is the kind of repair you want to diagnose yourself as chasing items at professional rates could get expensive.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to know we have a capable auto elec on hand Jake. Got a few wires of my own to sort out, only thing I am missing is I have zero electrickery talent.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PCNZ Speed Series Dates for 2015:

Sunday 12 April - autocross - St Smart Staduim drift circuit
Saturday 23 May – skid pan
Saturday 13 June – circuit (Driver Training)
Saturday 5 July – skid pan
Saturday 25 July – circuit sprints
Saturday 15 August – circuit sprints
Sunday 30 August – skid pan

We are going to need helpers for the driver training day (cone exercises in the morning) - I know it's early days, so will pester you closer to the time......
Old 02-02-2015, 03:55 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
PCNZ Speed Series Dates for 2015: Sunday 12 April - autocross - St Smart Staduim drift circuit Saturday 23 May – skid pan Saturday 13 June – circuit (Driver Training) Saturday 5 July – skid pan Saturday 25 July – circuit sprints Saturday 15 August – circuit sprints Sunday 30 August – skid pan We are going to need helpers for the driver training day (cone exercises in the morning) - I know it's early days, so will pester you closer to the time......
25 July is the Puke round of the endurance series. Other than that - looks good. A lot of weekends at the track between May & Sept.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Good to know we have a capable auto elec on hand Jake. Got a few wires of my own to sort out, only thing I am missing is I have zero electrickery talent.
My statement should read that I think I'm more than capable. I have very limited electrickery experience, and virtually zero on cars, but I'm convinced I could fix anything given the right amount of time and the tools.

Still have machinations towards rebuilding a car myself one day, but given I've never really done it and don't have any tools that day is a long way off!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?