Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^ oops, hadn't finished.... Don't really have much of a list really.

Paul/Matt, do you reckon Prestigio would classify the Z214s as slicks and therefore the user would be uninsured?

If the user was pulled over on the highway, would these not fail a warrant and therefore be illegal on the road? I think Matt has mentioned that before.

If so, I don't see much future in that option... Despite the opportunity to see a grown man cry :-P
Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 AM
mjg
Pro

Doug, they're not road legal because they have "FOR COMPETITION USE" on the sidewall. The local rules are as follows:

Tyres with DOT marking do comply with one of the standards allowed in NZ, but in addition to complying with a standard they also have to meet warrant of fitness requirements. These require a minimum of at least 1.5mm tread pattern depth (excluding any tie-bar or tread-depth indicator strip) around the whole circumference of the tyre within all principal grooves that contain tread-depth indicators, or if the tyre does not normally have tread-depth indicators, across at least three-quarters of the tyre tread width.
The warrant of fitness manual also lists the typical wording on tyres that are not for road use:
‘NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE’
‘NHS’ (Not for Highway Service)
‘FOR TRAILER USE ONLY’
‘ADV’ (Agricultural Drawn Vehicle)
‘RACING PURPOSES ONLY’
So, they pass the DOT requirement (note that they are not E marked, and thus not road legal in the EU, but the Z221s are E marked), probably pass the tread requirement, but fail the "not for road use" requirement. Perhaps you could argue that since the Z214 sidewall doesn't include "ONLY" that it doesn't apply (and it doesn't match the exact wording of any of the exclusions listed in the NZTA's vehicle inspection requirement manual), but I'm not sure how far you'd get.

Since the Prestigo rules state "vehicle must be in WOF condition whilst on the day (no slicks)", my reading is that you wouldn't be covered as they would not pass a WOF. It's debatable whether they're classified as slicks--technically they are not, but I doubt the person who wrote that understands the difference and again I'm not sure how far you'd get arguing with them about the differences.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Doug, they're not road legal because they have "FOR COMPETITION USE" on the sidewall. The local rules are as follows:

So, they pass the DOT requirement (note that they are not E marked, and thus not road legal in the EU, but the Z221s are E marked), probably pass the tread requirement, but fail the "not for road use" requirement. Perhaps you could argue that since the Z214 sidewall doesn't include "ONLY" that it doesn't apply (and it doesn't match the exact wording of any of the exclusions listed in the NZTA's vehicle inspection requirement manual), but I'm not sure how far you'd get.

Since the Prestigo rules state "vehicle must be in WOF condition whilst on the day (no slicks)", my reading is that you wouldn't be covered as they would not pass a WOF.

^^^^^^^^ What he said. I have got 221's through a testing station.............!!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Seems strange for them not to sell z221's at Tire Rack. Are they perhaps not road legal in the USA? Probably worth emailing them to query availability.

Page count is a catalyst for learning more about Porsche; had no idea the 969 (almost) existed!

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...gssuugkjpg.jpg

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/por...ses-1459215522
Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 AM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^^^^ Thanks chaps. Matt, how come you know soooooo much?
Old 06-23-2014, 05:33 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Watching "Road Cops" - how sad is that?

They just fined a lad 25 demerits and $50 for an exhaust something like "dissimilar to original equipment", ie loud.

Macca, what do you know about the risk of this? I'm sure they'd love to have a word with you, heh.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just found this fascinating web page with rim and tyre weights - I thought you might enjoy it too.

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php
Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by nzskater

Page count is a catalyst for learning more about Porsche; had no idea the 969 (almost) existed!
I agree. There are some nice prototypes coming up. While the 969 isn't mind blowing, and visually not far of the 959, I especially liked the modern versions of the 928.

Wonder what else is going to pop up...
Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Just found this fascinating web page with rim and tyre weights - I thought you might enjoy it too.

Interesting, a 17x9 cup 1 magnesium is 20.5lbs. Not as light as I would've expected.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by racoguy
Boxter wheels instead of Cup3..............crime of the century.
It is such a shame so many forums are like this, while everyone has a right to express their opinion I don't see what good it does.
Were I in the market for a 964 I'd be all over that one for that price but hey that's just me.

And yes I've met the seller, bought some parts off him actually and have nothing but positive things to say about him.
No one said it was a crime John.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Watching "Road Cops" - how sad is that?

They just fined a lad 25 demerits and $50 for an exhaust something like "dissimilar to original equipment", ie loud.

Macca, what do you know about the risk of this? I'm sure they'd love to have a word with you, heh.
What risk? 14 years....actually my car passes noise emissions would you believe!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Its an oldie but a goodie.

Notice how heavy Japanese and Korean rubber is? Those Michelin skins are light. R888 very heavy.

Kerscher RS are very light in 17. Not much heavier in 18.

Happy boy today. My 3 Piece passed the fit test fine with the new brakes!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

New rear A arms with Elephant racing RS spec trailing arm bushes.

Every component of front and rear suspension now re built back to the steering rack but including the drive shafts and bearings.
Attached Images    
Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
What risk? 14 years....actually my car passes noise emissions would you believe!
Wow, surprised.mWell I sure have nothing to worry about then with quiet old Lola LOL :-P
Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

My car sounds loud at 950 rpm idle due to cam overlap/timing. at test rpm its actually quieter than my GT3 with sports exhaust button on. No trouble having a chat or listening to the radio in my car even when really on the gas. David, Chris, Paul and other s have all been 1 hour+ passengers and can vouch for that. Its a common mis conception my car must be loud inside. On idle I agree its too much from the outside but I cant seem to get rid of it without tearing it back to the cam towers and spending many thousands. However whilst touring its quite ok. Listening to my car in the videos John and others have taken on SITT it does IMO sound the most glorious off all our cars at the track....

Those 18"BBS E88 are just so light!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?