Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Depends how fast you drive it. Class B is 1.14.5 to 1.18.99 @ HD so likely in that range.
So. Just by way of trying to understand the new rules. If I join as a rookie in my 993 (stripped out 100kg and fully caged etc) and post a 1.17 in my first few qualifiers I'm in B. But the car is good for say a 1.14 flat in that trim. After a few races I'm sitting around 1.14.5 and sandbagging a bit as I'm winning some races and doing quite nicely in my class series. There is no incentive for me to move beyond 1.14.5 because my car couldn't compete in class A at 290 bhp it doesn't matter if Earl himself was pilot on best slicks available its not going to do a 1.12 etc.

Have I got this correct? If so then what I understand is both the cars Output/handling and the pilots skill and experience are now moving variables in the equation ( putting aside the not insignificant matters of prep, set up, fuel & tire use and Lady Luck).

I have no interest to join the series, but when in NZ will attend the races. Curious as to the rules. Kevin Cantwell part explained them to me a few weekends ago at the track but I can't say it made much sense -I must be missing something. Seemed about as far away from a one make 86 series (which I would be interested in if I lived in NZ) as I could imagine. I think I'm missing something?
Old 02-01-2015, 03:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS. My understanding of the Bridestone series until 2012 was that cars were technically handicapped on a points basis dependant on weight and dynopack output, mods etc. does handicap still exist?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:09 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
So. Just by way of trying to understand the new rules. If I join as a rookie in my 993 (stripped out 100kg and fully caged etc) and post a 1.17 in my first few qualifiers I'm in B. But the car is good for say a 1.14 flat in that trim. After a few races I'm sitting around 1.14.5 and sandbagging a bit as I'm winning some races and doing quite nicely in my class series. There is no incentive for me to move beyond 1.14.5 because my car couldn't compete in class A at 290 bhp it doesn't matter if Earl himself was pilot on best slicks available its not going to do a 1.12 etc.

Have I got this correct? If so then what I understand is both the cars Output/handling and the pilots skill and experience are now moving variables in the equation ( putting aside the not insignificant matters of prep, set up, fuel & tire use and Lady Luck).

I have no interest to join the series, but when in NZ will attend the races. Curious as to the rules. Kevin Cantwell part explained them to me a few weekends ago at the track but I can't say it made much sense -I must be missing something. Seemed about as far away from a one make 86 series (which I would be interested in if I lived in NZ) as I could imagine. I think I'm missing something?
Sorry mate but I had to edit my prev post re class B times - they were for Puke not HD - HD is 1.13 to 1.17.49. I think the criteria is...

"Being Drivers which, in the opinion of the Race Committee, qualify for the B Class as capable of lap times in their eligible car (in dry conditions) as follows:"

So an element of judgement being both driver capability and car capability. I think the cut off between Open class and Class A was 1.09.5 and was interesting to see Kev Etches breaking out below that while Brian McGovern consistently 2/10ths over and just inside the class A barrier.

I'd say bloody hard to build a car that was unlikely to break out into a higher class but was close enough to the limit to be sure of always placing. I guess there are loads of such discussions among the race committee (eh Paul?!) Remember there are time ranges for the 4 NI tracks so even harder to game it if you wanted to over a full season.

The rules do make it very easy to just get out there and do it - no complicated class rules re car type and allowed mods. Just need a couple more 944s....
Old 02-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave - I am guessing that is your Pcar seat on TM.

I'll swap you for a 911 SC steering wheel??

I assume it fits in the back of a 993?
No, that's not me. But I do want that steering wheel.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Sorry mate but I had to edit my prev post re class B times - they were for Puke not HD - HD is 1.13 to 1.17.49. I think the criteria is... "Being Drivers which, in the opinion of the Race Committee, qualify for the B Class as capable of lap times in their eligible car (in dry conditions) as follows:" So an element of judgement being both driver capability and car capability. I think the cut off between Open class and Class A was 1.09.5 and was interesting to see Kev Etches breaking out below that while Brian McGovern consistently 2/10ths over and just inside the class A barrier. I'd say bloody hard to build a car that was unlikely to break out into a higher class but was close enough to the limit to be sure of always placing. I guess there are loads of such discussions among the race committee (eh Paul?!) Remember there are time ranges for the 4 NI tracks so even harder to game it if you wanted to over a full season. The rules do make it very easy to just get out there and do it - no complicated class rules re car type and allowed mods. Just need a couple more 944s....
What happened to Kev's old car? Is it going racing again?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
What happened to Kev's old car? Is it going racing again?
Went to SI.

JMc - you getting the itch eh??

Buy the grey 44S2 for $12K on TM and spend $20K building a beast.......

This will give you a RHD one with new everything........

You need another project...........
Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
After a few races I'm sitting around 1.14.5 and sandbagging a bit as I'm winning some races and doing quite nicely in my class series. There is no incentive for me to move beyond 1.14.5 because my car couldn't compete in class A at 290 bhp it doesn't matter if Earl himself was pilot on best slicks available its not going to do a 1.12 etc.

Have I got this correct?
Reverse grid stuffs this theory up as you need to pass the guys in front to be ahead of them to get max points - you will be very skilled to continue the sand bag for the entire race while there are guys just in front of you..........

The ideal is to build a car that can go within a few 10th's of the speed bar, or maybe even faster, so you can wind back (reduce redline or run slower tires) in perfect conditions and then have the ability to find speed in wet or slightly colder conditions. A bit like JMc in the classic trials where he blitz the field in the wet as he was sand bagging in the dry??

Macca you had me going for a while there with all this talk of caging the 993 - last sentence was an anti climax.............

I would image the 964's would be sitting pretty in Class B.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

2KCUP Winter Enduro
Thanks to the feedback received over the last few weeks we have started to craft the final shape of rules for this event on the 4th of July. The 2KCUP 800 will be an 800km endurance round held once annually during the winter. There will be a total of 32 grid spots available and the style of race will be an endurance relay race with either self picked or randomly selected teams. Teams will consist of 3 or more cars with a minimum of 3 drivers. The entry costs will be a base entry of $300 per car plus a driver fee of $33ea for those in randomly selected teams. If a team submits their own team there is a cost of $1000 per team which consists of 3 cars and 3 drivers, additional drivers or cars are charged at the base entry rate. Each team will receive a spot on the grid and it’s own 2 car team garage.

Option A:

The teams list will be released 2 weeks prior, the random draw will be done as follows:

All entries will be collated and split into 3 thirds in regards to pace, top - middle - bottom. Then a random draw will be taken from each pool for each team. This means all teams will have an overall similar pace that consists of 1 top, 1 middle and 1 bottom car.

Each team will be sent an individual email once the teams are released with it containing their team mates details to allow for adequate planning and preparation.

All drivers that have competed at a 2KCUP summer round will be given automatic entry. Any other driver is at the discretion of the event organisers.

Option B:

A group of Drivers can submit their own team before May 31st, it must consist of at least 3 cars and drivers and can only have 1 driver that would be considered a top 1/3rd seed. 2KCUP will intentionally disband any “dream team” combinations so as to keep the competition as close as possible, it's no fun for anyone if the winner is known before the race even starts.

All drivers that have competed at a 2KCUP summer round will be given automatic entry and priority. Any other driver is at the discretion of the event organisers.

12 Hour General Rule and Outline V1.0

1.All rules are the same as the summer 2KCUP series apart from any change which follows, in which case the 12 hour rules take precedence:

2.1 Any car that enters pit lane cannot rejoin the circuit until 10 minutes after it comes to a complete stop. Should only 1 car remain in the team it may rejoin the track in 10min if it has been seeded as a fast car or immediately if seeded as a lower ⅔ car.

2.2 Any team car can rejoin the circuit immediately once the incoming team (different) car comes to a complete stop in pit lane.

2.3 If any car stops on track and is unable to continue the other car in the team may start upon return of the team baton or a new baton will be issued 15 minutes after the last completed lap.

2.4 Any car on the track must be carrying the team baton.

3.No refueling is to be done in pit lane unless there is a single car left in the team.

4.No car in the team can race for longer than an accumulated total of 4 hours, it is expected that teams will split the drive evenly at about 2-3 hours (total) per car/driver. An exemption may be given.

5.Teams must update the event log book (located in the timing hut) with current driver and car, failure to do so will result in the car being brought into pit lane until the log is correct.

6.The start will be a “Le Mans” style start with the driver already being belted up ready to go, another team member will cross from the other side with car keys on the drop of the Flag.

7.Teams may combine at the discretion of the 2KCUP organisers once the race has started. The combined teams position will be determined from lowest placed team in the new combination.

8.At midday (12:00) a red flag will be dropped for a duration of 30-60min for lunch, the exact duration will be dependent on if the race is running behind time or not. During this break the teams are not allowed to work on any car and must attend the BBQ.

9.The starting grid will be determined by heaviest (kg) driver on pole with lightest at the back.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Reverse grid stuffs this theory up as you need to pass the guys in front to be ahead of them to get max points - you will be very skilled to continue the sand bag for the entire race while there are guys just in front of you.......... The ideal is to build a car that can go within a few 10th's of the speed bar, or maybe even faster, so you can wind back (reduce redline or run slower tires) in perfect conditions and then have the ability to find speed in wet or slightly colder conditions. A bit like JMc in the classic trials where he blitz the field in the wet as he was sand bagging in the dry?? Macca you had me going for a while there with all this talk of caging the 993 - last sentence was an anti climax............. I would image the 964's would be sitting pretty in Class B.
No sandbagging. I just drove at a comfortable speed for the conditions. Herman is very sure footed in the wet.

Btw did you get BB2 and the card/remote for BB? We need to put pressure on these cars and make sure they are reliable for the endurance race. We have a real chance there.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
No sandbagging. I just drove at a comfortable speed for the conditions. Herman is very sure footed in the wet.

Btw did you get BB2 and the card/remote for BB? We need to put pressure on these cars and make sure they are reliable for the endurance race. We have a real chance there.
Tomorrow avo.........
Old 02-01-2015, 05:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - you need a new project mate:
Attached Images    
Old 02-01-2015, 05:34 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Great run today, thanks Doug & Dave. That SC looks better in the flesh than I expected, the interior is mint given the age and miles.

The wet tempered any eagerness in the morning with all of the cars getting a bit tail happy. Was quite relaxing have a slightly less aggressive pace, although it probably wasn't so relaxing pushing on tyres that have reached their teens...

Dave, those seat patterns are fantastic, 1980's you is jealous I'm sure!
Attached Images       
Old 02-01-2015, 06:02 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They look nice all wrapped up in bubble wrap at the painters

I don't normally give my cars names - but I'm thinking 'Casper' is a good one at the moment.........
Or "Vinnie" - looks like a mob hit...
Old 02-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul/Pete - thanks for the explanation on the criteria used for the series. Given the 44s are unlikely to ever get close to the lower time bar in their class I guess there is plenty of room to play with set up, tyres and performance enhancements while also leaving a large band of room for driver improvement. It's nice to have a set of rules that allows so much scope, but it must also be very difficult to manage fairly as there are many subjective measures going on here...

Paul I just love the 1994 early 993 cup car as you well know. They worked out quick smart it needed aero tho but I preferred it in its original guise. Unfortunately with prices the way they are and The scarcity and expense of original period cup parts like the centre lock hub spindles and magnesium CL cup wheels you be looking at 200k to do one justice today if you did it right with cup gearset, 3.8L cup engine with period manifold and engine management, Sean welded body etc!

I will unlikely be in a position to take part in such events as travelling and living offshore don't provide the presence to partake on track with RSG more than a few times a year let alone meet s summer series schedule. If I did I confess as ive always stated s one make series would be my preference I think although a 911 cup car would be very cool one day! I think the 44 platform is perfect for the rookie and the perfect place to learn the race craft. There seems to be lots of lonegivity with that choice as you still have the older hands such as Chris & Marco racing them...
Old 02-01-2015, 03:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - further to our “a 997 RS did a 1.10 and a 991 GT3 must be good for a 1.09” debate - the cup 991 was circulating in low 1.07's. I have it on advice they were playing with car set up etc. and that the car should be good for a 1.05.XX

What this has to do with road going 991 GT3 laps times at HD is anyone’s guess...?

Well it still gives me hope a 991 GT3 is closer to a 1.09 than a 1.12 like you and Stu think. My argument would have been totally sunk if a Cup 991 could only manage 1.08’s??

Having a Cup cars time 4 sec up the road makes the argument a little more feasible........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?