Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015 | 09:04 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrphil
The silver gt3 seems very cheap, how much you think it would of been worth without its bad history? Was it a major crash?
It will never be a collectors example.

If you are happy to own it as a track or targa hack - it's good value.

If you want a collectors car - then it's not for you as it needs a total restoration (think $50K plus to go back to original)
Old 02-02-2015 | 11:20 PM
mrphil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ 100% what he said.

You need to understand the scope and extent of the damage, repairs and have it well documented (letter from repairer and photos) for future on sale.

Personally I wouldn't touch the car with this commentary on the title. It is a sub $100K car to me as you need an uneducated buyer to on sell it to. Look at how long the red 6.2 GT3 sat for sale - it had to go to dealers up and down the country to find a buyer who didn't know the history.

Look at the Gen 1 Gt3 for $64K - this car is 25-30% below market value for a 9/10 example and it still doesn't sell at a 30% discount.

The car to buy was Dave Mac's GT3 - NZ new, only 16K on the clock and well known providence by a prominent collector - a lot of 'providence' to buy for only an extra $14K. You could never make the white car this good for any money, let alone $14K. Given they sell new cars now with 8K on the clock, you were basically buying a new car at half price.

I would hold out for the best example you can get and just pay what it takes as this is the cheapest form of ownership and easiest example to on-sell.

Thanks Paul that has given me alot more insight with the resale and alot more to think about
Old 02-03-2015 | 02:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Finally tracked down the red liquid on the garage floor - concentrated Golf coolant, not 964 steering rack fluid. It looks like something ruptured sometime in the GTI's coolant system during the previous owners' era and it concentrated itself over time, leaking out erratically when the wet Golf managed to find a park in the garage. This was found when tracking down engine fault lights. A $1,600 donation to the VW mechanic and parts business sorted it all.
Old 02-03-2015 | 03:08 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Finally tracked down the red liquid on the garage floor - concentrated Golf coolant, not 964 steering rack fluid. It looks like something ruptured sometime in the GTI's coolant system during the previous owners' era and it concentrated itself over time, leaking out erratically when the wet Golf managed to find a park in the garage. This was found when tracking down engine fault lights. A $1,600 donation to the VW mechanic and parts business sorted it all.
Yeah, VW - Audi product. They will send you broke quicker than all but italian marques
Old 02-03-2015 | 03:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, VW - Audi product. They will send you broke quicker than all but italian marques
Too many of these bills and the Cayenne will be Donna's DD.
Old 02-03-2015 | 04:01 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Too many of these bills and the Cayenne will be Donna's DD.
Even a VW golf has gotta be cheaper to run as a DD than a Cayenne?
Old 02-03-2015 | 04:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Even a VW golf has gotta be cheaper to run as a DD than a Cayenne?
Most likely, although running the Cayenne as a DD is possibly cheaper than running both cars
Old 02-03-2015 | 04:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

2k cup dates https://www.facebook.com/2kcup/posts/989676034393400

I have booked myself in the general car group for the Playday on 22 Feb. I'm going to run the Grinch hard, then possibly switch to the R for a shakedown. Anyone else going?

Last edited by John McM; 02-03-2015 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2015 | 05:26 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

2k cup dates https://www.facebook.com/2kcup/posts/989676034393400 I have booked myself in the general car group for the Playday on 22 Feb. I'm going to run the Grinch hard, then possibly switch to the R for a shakedown. Anyone else going?
Thought you were travelling all month?? The lure of the track too much eh!!
Old 02-03-2015 | 05:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Thought you were travelling all month?? The lure of the track too much eh!!
They've added another two weeks in Sydney so I'm taking every opportunity to get out on the track. I'll dial in the Grinch one weekend then Race at Taupo the following one.
Old 02-03-2015 | 06:25 AM
racoguy
Racer

Thanks Paul that has given me alot more insight with the resale and alot more to think about

Why not ask the seller what and where it was damaged and then look at the area's in detail?
A well repaired car should not be an issue, cars have accidents every day and it can happen to any of us........doesn't make the car any worse if repaired properly.
Old 02-03-2015 | 07:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Why not ask the seller what and where it was damaged and then look at the area's in detail?
A well repaired car should not be an issue, cars have accidents every day and it can happen to any of us........doesn't make the car any worse if repaired properly.
All true - but tell that to the market...............

When it comes to Pcars, the more original, the more desirable..............

We are funny creatures - the same should apply to a leaky home that's been fixed, it's technically better than new, but the market is still spooked and they sell for a discount for no logical reason............
Old 02-03-2015 | 10:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Generally agree with Paul here. I would say however that as time goes on with the RS and GT3 models accident history as long as well repaired and documented increasingly becomes less of an issue with value.

Take by way of example my old 983RS which was damaged to a similar degree as Dougs car at a Malaysian race track in 1998. I had receipts for 50k repairs all done with original parts to factory standard. In fact I have to say the work was done so well no one in NZ could tell (sing body shops are generally excellent).

Today is my old RS worth much less than a no history NZ car ( only 2 out if 4 NZ cars have not had big biff)? Probably not - 20% perhaps - fact is the current owner probably has no idea of the damage in the cars past because a former owner or two "forgot" to disclose the true history as I did in 2002 when I imported and sold it....

This ex UK 997.1 GT3 looks to be if a very high and unusual spec for NZ as a club sport spec with ceramics buckets and some other top shelf options. The thing that affects its value is not the accident or repair like my old 993RS but moreso the fact the title is branded as such something that wasn't an issue for mine and something I think may have a lasting impact to its value.

If you could purchase this car at 110k it would be worth taking the punt as long as your predicted ownership was medium term (5-10 years).

Daves car was 30k more than this and comfort spec. It was too nice/expensive to drive on fast road and track so suited best a "collector" or enthusiast that wanted z club car for show & shine and club social events etc.

if it's a drivers car you are after where putting it on the track and running it hard down back roads, occasional targa tour etc is your thing then the White UK car at the right money is IMO a fair proposition.... Until the next one comes on the market.....they are like buses you know!!!
Old 02-03-2015 | 02:42 PM
mrphil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by racoguy
The seller hasn't try to hide anything, he has been very up front and I have seen photo of the damage when it arrived into NZ. I showed the photo to my panel shop and they said without getting the chassis measure it's hard to say but just looking at the photo he would class the damage as minor.

The panel shop that did the repair is rated one of the best in Christchurch with a good reputation, also the car was repaired with genuine parts and has receipts

Originally Posted by Macca
Generally agree with Paul here. I would say however that as time goes on with the RS and GT3 models accident history as long as well repaired and documented increasingly becomes less of an issue with value.

Take by way of example my old 983RS which was damaged to a similar degree as Dougs car at a Malaysian race track in 1998. I had receipts for 50k repairs all done with original parts to factory standard. In fact I have to say the work was done so well no one in NZ could tell (sing body shops are generally excellent).

Today is my old RS worth much less than a no history NZ car ( only 2 out if 4 NZ cars have not had big biff)? Probably not - 20% perhaps - fact is the current owner probably has no idea of the damage in the cars past because a former owner or two "forgot" to disclose the true history as I did in 2002 when I imported and sold it....

This ex UK 997.1 GT3 looks to be if a very high and unusual spec for NZ as a club sport spec with ceramics buckets and some other top shelf options. The thing that affects its value is not the accident or repair like my old 993RS but moreso the fact the title is branded as such something that wasn't an issue for mine and something I think may have a lasting impact to its value.

If you could purchase this car at 110k it would be worth taking the punt as long as your predicted ownership was medium term (5-10 years).

Daves car was 30k more than this and comfort spec. It was too nice/expensive to drive on fast road and track so suited best a "collector" or enthusiast that wanted z club car for show & shine and club social events etc.

if it's a drivers car you are after where putting it on the track and running it hard down back roads, occasional targa tour etc is your thing then the White UK car at the right money is IMO a fair proposition.... Until the next one comes on the market.....they are like buses you know!!!
Thanks for that Macca

The allure are the all the options. I understand now it will never be a collectors car and my intentions are just a good drivers car I can take out for a good back road drive
Old 02-03-2015 | 03:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The seller hasn't try to hide anything, he has been very up front and I have seen photo of the damage when it arrived into NZ. I showed the photo to my panel shop and they said without getting the chassis measure it's hard to say but just looking at the photo he would class the damage as minor. The panel shop that did the repair is rated one of the best in Christchurch with a good reputation, also the car was repaired with genuine parts and has receipts Thanks for that Macca The allure are the all the options. I understand now it will never be a collectors car and my intentions are just a good drivers car I can take out for a good back road drive
Sounds like there is a meeting of minds and needs. All you need now is to arrive at a price

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?