Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

So I have about 18 months until I'm a road cone to other Caymans?

I took Donna for a short ride in the R and half floored it coming out of a corner. Both hands rose the same way Jo's did in Macca's videos. No way I can convince her that more power is needed.

The Cayman has to be the 944 replacement for longer term racing at lower levels doesn't it? Engine swaps etc could make monster machines as well.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
So I have about 18 months until I'm a road cone to other Caymans? I took Donna for a short ride in the R and half floored it coming out of a corner. Both hands rose the same way Jo's did in Macca's videos. No way I can convince her that more power is needed. The Cayman has to be the 944 replacement for longer term racing at lower levels doesn't it? Engine swaps etc could make monster machines as well.
"Tapping out" is inevitable with the vintage models we have John. Probably why they still put up with us. Here's s little aircooled love Mexico style....
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2015, 04:23 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
. Use the mortgage and bridge till you sell the 993. I think CCS can find a home for 993 for acceptable money talk with Dean ;-)
This assumes I am going to get back my 993 at some stage??

^^^ The V Dub above is very cool. Always wanted to go to Mexico..........
Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

"Tapping out" is inevitable with the vintage models we have John. Probably why they still put up with us. Here's s little aircooled love Mexico style....
I've been talking to Robin this morning about the tune on Herman. The brief is to use the envelope afforded by the better management of fuel and spark but absolutely retain drivability. If it keeps the 964 marauders behind me at HD, then job done, but I'm under no illusions about the newer cars being better performers no matter what I throw at Herman.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
This assumes I am going to get back my 993 at some stage?? ^^^ The V Dub above is very cool. Always wanted to go to Mexico..........
Join Doug and Dave, buy an interim car. Actually just ask Dave, he must be due to sell something.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I've been talking to Robin this morning about the tune on Herman. The brief is to use the envelope afforded by the better management of fuel and spark but absolutely retain drivability. If it keeps the 964 marauders behind me at HD, then job done, but I'm under no illusions about the newer cars being better performers no matter what I throw at Herman.

The vintage models were our wives John and tapping out is what Donnas hands were doing....

For the 964 tuning I already have all the T shirts in this series, fill your boots, The R will romp all over it on the track although its always nice to have a little more throttle sensitivity and a flatter torque curve. It will be interesting to see what Robin can do on the dyno.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:45 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT3RS will use same engine as GT3 taken to 4.0L making 500-515 bhp. Car is based on turbo body with magnesium composite double bubble roof, CF front guards and bonnet and the rest similar alloy construction as with GT3. Weight will be approx 1400kg. Rear wheels 325 on 21 and fronts 265 on 20. Car has significant aero advantage over GT3 which combined with modified PDK-S will give a Ring a Time around 7.15. No manual. It looks like both current GT3 and new RS may be last cars without electronic or mechanical power assistance. RS launches 3 March Geneva production starting April with deliveries starting May. RHD cars will not arrive in NZ till September. nZ retail will start around 330k plus options. I would expect 8-10 NZ deliveries and I believe the allocation for NZ is more of less sold. This will bs a very focussed track car to differentiate it from GT3 which is a very useable car on the street. Will be a tech fest with much exotic fabrication and an incredible presence in person....
Interesting stuff. So you think this talk by Wolfgang Hatz of the RS manual still being under serious consideration is bluster? I have seen someone say that they heard there will be no 991.2 GT3s which would be odd. It would match with all 991.2s having turbos but not GT3s though, because then there is no 991.2 GT3 to make turbo. Then the next gen GT3 goes turbo probably and possibly hybrid like the rest of them?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The Hatz interview was a hatchet job. Poor translation, confused questions, misleading answers. the 991 GT3RS engine is a modified 991 GT3 unit which again is a modified 9A1 unit. They will likely use some of the 991 GT3 tech in the new 9A2? engine which will form the base of the 991.2 turbo engines rolling out later this year. My that I mean separate dry sump, baffles, top end drive-train gear and some of the reinforced bottom end journals and crank/rod components. The RS engine expands on the GT3 engine by way of capacity increase and subsequently some bottom end strengthening such as fastenings etc (incidentally believed to be now in the new GT3 engines!). The 9A1 architecture has been around for 5 years now and proven extremely reliable. The GT3/RS iteration is just a evolutionary step to this and will form the basis of PAGs flat 6 motor sports efforts from 2016 if they decide to push on with the 911 as a completion platform. As far as I understand there is NO MANUAL scheduled for series production on the 991 GT3RS. My sources are pretty certain of that. Hatz reference may be to keep the troupes happy or indeed refer to a limited run GT3 later in the 991.2 generation GT cycle. Interestingly those who have actually DRIVEN the new 991 GT3 (and soon RS) for any period of time will tell you the box is killer and the tech is transparent - the car feels organic like the technology isn't even there. Large groups of the RL 997 GT3 "faithful" are now rolling over to the 991 GT3 and their feedback has been unanimous. Most people tha have tried it absolutely lve the PDK-S in the new GT3 (its quite different from normal PDK and has a much more manual feel about it, slips the clutch, no creep etc). I very much doubt PAG will go to a manual again form this model as the PDK-S integrates with a number of systems and subsequently through this holistic architecture produces performance well beyond what it should with "only" 468 bhp. the 991 GT3 has become the benchmark car on road and track for the likes of EVO and others against cars costing over twice the price. The interesting thing is the car is only now starting to get cult following after its been discontinued so the 991 GT3RS will pick up from there and run with it - it will be a car that kills everything save the $1-3m hypercars!

For you last question only PAG product planners could tell you the answer. I believe the NA GT car is safe for the 991.2 generation but will benefit from mechanical or electrical multiplication technologies, probably capacitor or battery fed and likely in the drive-train at the gearbox end to keep the feeling organic.

From MY2016 the 911 becomes turbo charged (light pressure). the "Turbo" model will still exist (high pressure). Porsche has become confident this last generation it can lock down the ECUs sy=ufficently to keep the tuners at bay. The big question is will there be a GT2/RS model....
Old 01-26-2015, 07:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The vintage models were our wives John and tapping out is what Donnas hands were doing.... For the 964 tuning I already have all the T shirts in this series, fill your boots, The R will romp all over it on the track although its always nice to have a little more throttle sensitivity and a flatter torque curve. It will be interesting to see what Robin can do on the dyno.
Oh. A bit oblique without the explanation.

I can't bring myself to modify the R so Herman will continue to be fettled. I'm not sure to what end. Not sure there needs to be a goal.

Now that I'm on the newer model conveyor belt I can't see myself getting off and going back to Herman for hard track work unless other 964s attend. They have been few and far between lately.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Join Doug and Dave, buy an interim car. Actually just ask Dave, he must be due to sell something.
It was meant to be an 8 week job, not 8 months.............

John - you're being too tough - it hasn't been 6 weeks yet with the SC.......

Though in fairness, Dave - the crafty salesman that he is did let me drive the SC to HD the other day (just to see how it went compared to the C3) and I did find myself saying let me know when you want to sell it (and not 'if'.....)
Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

The vintage models were our wives...........
So I guess Jo doesn't read this thread then.......??

For safety's sake I would prefer to they are like fine wine and 'timeless classics'...........
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

So I guess Jo doesn't read this thread then.......?? For safety's sake I would prefer to they are like fine wine and 'timeless classics'...........
I have never been tempted to compare Donna's bottom with a Porsche. Big hips only go down well as a description on a car. That's why I'm still married
Attached Images  

Last edited by John McM; 01-26-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From MY2016 the 911 becomes turbo charged (light pressure). the "Turbo" model will still exist (high pressure). Porsche has become confident this last generation it can lock down the ECUs sufficiently to keep the tuners at bay. The big question is will there be a GT2/RS model....
Porsche had better be using quantum cryptography on those ECUs as they're not the first to boast of an unhackable ECU, or TCU. We only need to look to Nissan and Cobb to see how long that lasts. Here's hoping though, or I'll soon be looking at a lot of Carrera backsides on track!

Matt and Pete - I looked into both the Maramarua rally school and Roger Davis' Patetonga sprint car experience just before Christmas. Keen to gang up if others are thinking about it too.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

pS

Been told suspension and brake upgrades and that initial testing has proven the car is a lot of fun to drive.
yep sounds juicy keep us informed
Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

It was meant to be an 8 week job, not 8 months.............

John - you're being too tough - it hasn't been 6 weeks yet with the SC.......

Though in fairness, Dave - the crafty salesman that he is did let me drive the SC to HD the other day (just to see how it went compared to the C3) and I did find myself saying let me know when you want to sell it (and not 'if'.....)
I think I can control myself and keep it longer than two weeks, so there will be a small wait. Nevertheless, the transformation is continuing with lots of late nights and perseverance and she's starting to show her potential as a nice original SC. Lots of small jobs ticked off, just the larger $ items to be sorted - mostly paint and a handfull of parts from Pelican. I mentioned to John the other day that this could be my favourite 911 to date. Unmodified and hence so smooth to drive with a good dose of the old school to keep you focussed. Hard to fault.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?