Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Shark fins suck - they have gotta go.

You already have to paint the rear lid so punt it...........

I have a period correct 3 spoke wheel but needs re-stitching (as it has come undone).

You need a cassette player (and a concealed Ipod player connected to the speakers.
Can you send me a pic of the wheel? Only if you want to move it on though.
I've gotten to know some leather guys well lately
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good Dave!

Heres a very entertaining Pistonheads article published today on the new GT3 during a wet track day. I know Neil & Doug will be sympathising with alot of this. I've had mine 120 degrees at Taupo in the rain so I can vouch for it well. The writer is a die hard manual fan so its an interesting read. Actually its an entertaining read for anyone likes track work in the rain (well that's not me then!).

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=31298
Old 01-27-2015, 01:56 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
As you've just found out from TOGW (The Other Guys Wax) its aways a good idea to wash the car after correcting/polishing "

I've got a similar problem with my sunroof seals. There are many 'fixes'. You could try a toothbrush and dish detergent or diluted isopropyl alcohol. These two things breakdown wax/polishers so you may need to re-apply your wax/sealant. Test in an inconspicuous place first. I've also been told vegetable oil and glass cleaners can work too though i haven't tried them...yet
Thanks for the clues. I was just ham fisted scrubbing brush and water which was not so good.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Thanks for the clues. I was just ham fisted scrubbing brush and water which was not so good.
I have some nasty professional wax and grease remover. You can try it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2015, 02:02 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you send me a pic of the wheel? Only if you want to move it on though.
I've gotten to know some leather guys well lately
It's just in the garage - you can come over or I can bring to yours next time I take the girls to Mission Bay.

Be good to get the consensus on who the best leather guy is as I need to do the hardbacks (one year when I get my car back........)

I also need to get my carpets professionally cleaned as they have 20 years of grime - who would you guys recommend for a car.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Don't do it. Risk versus reward. Unless they were put on recently you risk damaging the paint getting them off, plus the likelihood there is a different shade of red under there.
Yeah, I lifted a bottom edge to see if it would come cleanly but then chickened out. I like shark fins only on a Turbo where they belong.
The lines have come right be de spoilering and the fins interrupt the look. The car looks to be set up quite low. The wheels are 6 and 7" so the rears are in a way from the guards and with some negative camber dialled in but I am liking the look of that. Thought about spacers for a minute but not sure they would add much to the aesthetic. I remember my 964 and Pete's lined up next to each other at the track. Mine had 25mm rear spacers and Pete's was stock with the 17's. I recall preferring the slightly inset look versus the over pumped spaced set. A bit like those guys with the big guns and a tight shirt - a bit contrived. No offence to all you guys with big guns and tight shirts.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Relatively cheap option for a stereo Dave, never seen or heard in person so can't speak to quality: http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/inde...t_detail&p=693

Also, Tar X might help with wax removal.

Am about to replace my battered/yellowed stone guards, will let you know of any tips post replacement. Also bought magnetic matte black slightly larger guards to go on for track days; getting the grime off post track day was a pain, figure temporary guards might help prevent my OCD getting out of control
Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
It's just in the garage - you can come over or I can bring to yours next time I take the girls to Mission Bay.

Be good to get the consensus on who the best leather guy is as I need to do the hardbacks (one year when I get my car back........)

I also need to get my carpets professionally cleaned as they have 20 years of grime - who would you guys recommend for a car.
Very good. I'll let you know a pick up plan.
I have no recommendation for groomers other than to avoid Elite in Penrose. Took the Golf there for an expensive shampoo and the job was absolute rubbish. Spent hours re doing it myself.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Yeah, I lifted a bottom edge to see if it would come cleanly but then chickened out. I like shark fins only on a Turbo where they belong. The lines have come right be de spoilering and the fins interrupt the look. The car looks to be set up quite low. The wheels are 6 and 7" so the rears are in a way from the guards and with some negative camber dialled in but I am liking the look of that. Thought about spacers for a minute but not sure they would add much to the aesthetic. I remember my 964 and Pete's lined up next to each other at the track. Mine had 25mm rear spacers and Pete's was stock with the 17's. I recall preferring the slightly inset look versus the over pumped spaced set. A bit like those guys with the big guns and a tight shirt - a bit contrived. No offence to all you guys with big guns and tight shirts.
If you must do it, use a hair dryer to weaken the adhesive before you start lifting.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:14 AM
Maxem
Drifting

I have some nasty professional wax and grease remover. You can try it.
I'll have a go.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by nzskater
Relatively cheap option for a stereo Dave, never seen or heard in person so can't speak to quality: http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/inde...t_detail&p=693

Also, Tar X might help with wax removal.

Am about to replace my battered/yellowed stone guards, will let you know of any tips post replacement. Also bought magnetic matte black slightly larger guards to go on for track days; getting the grime off post track day was a pain, figure temporary guards might help prevent my OCD getting out of control
Those stereos are quite neat. Good how you can select different face plates and *****. Glitzy for yank tanks and more subtle for 911's.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 AM
mrphil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
that is so temping, do we have any 997.1 gt3 owners here? whats the maintenance cost like? those PCCB cant be too cheap to replace

anything else i should look out for?

cheers
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Jake, if you find one, tell me. Some have a pathological dislike of Facebook. Others dislike Rennlist to give out messages as the pages roll on too quickly. The Rennsport Gruppe pages is easiest but I don't know how many people check it.
I often decide on a run the afternoon or night before so advertising/inviting needs to happen quickly. Most of us are RL regulars but it's also a bit public, esp if something bad happened. RSG is secure but not visited often enough. Maybe our closed RSG FB group would be best??

After lots of runs over the summer with just 1-2 others I'm thinking that a good format is to keep the numbers low, or if there are more than 3-4 break into smaller groups and go out separately.

Reasons for thinking this are:
1 attract less attention
2 less issues with staying together when the group needs to get past some regular traffic. In a bigger group this causes problems, with only 2-3 its a breeze.
3 easier to keep together as a group.
4 swap lead regularly to have more fun or find the right order (quicker up front)

Anyway just my opinion and current thinking
Old 01-27-2015, 03:27 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

De spoiled, refinished Fuchs, Centre console delete, horrible radio, half polished, more needed. Looking for a period radio and steering wheel
I recently purchased a period Momo, dont really want to sell it though. I did think it would look great in a 911:

Name:  0fedca0badb3e72b1815e70c82f10f6f_zpsc357acc1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  231.0 KB

Sorry for the crap photo, its in way better condition than it looks.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrphil
that is so temping, do we have any 997.1 gt3 owners here? whats the maintenance cost like? those PCCB cant be too cheap to replace

anything else i should look out for?

cheers
Just do it. This car will be gone within days......

PCCB are only a problem if you regularly race the car - cheaper to swap out for steel. if not tracked - they will never be a problem as they don't ware out under normal use (well so I have read......)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 01-27-2015 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?