Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a great day at Taupo on Saturday. 4 Porsches (996 GT3, 997 Carrera S, 968, and my 944) and a Merc joined about 15 BMWs for the BMW driver training day. Unlike the PCNZ days the laps in the afternoon are usually without an instructor, so it's just like a track day really. Got lots of laps in -- by the end the sessions were up to 30 mins. I have to say that I prefer driving Taupo to HD, the tightness of the course (particularly if you're only doing the short track like we were) suits my car and driving style better. Shame it's not a little closer, but 2 hours is manageable.

The driver of the 996 GT3, Robert Ho, is a PCNZ member and was interested in the Porsche Playday Group. Hopefully he looks it up and joins in. He does Uncles Club days occasionally, so if anyone sees him there remind him about it.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Reported as spam and awaiting the Bot
Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

boy take your eyes of this thread for a few days and its hard to catch up.
IMHO get a suede wheel, a little more wear prone but better grip with or without gloves
Got to comment on Macca's long post a couple of pages back on cost of a 964/993 build done properly. All great points. I think of it like this. In all motorsport there is always an irresistible urge to go faster. As soon as you are comfortable at a certain pace we always want more tweaks or a faster car. Of course there are limits. But for 140k you can get a 996 gt3 add some tweaks go faster and still have change for a pretty decent road car. pretty tempting.
you probably won't get a jewel of a car like macca's but then that cost more anyway.
If you boys do a track road trip spring or early summer I might be keen to join up for taupo and manfield coming up from wgtn. Thats assuming its not too close to Targa late october and you don't mind me bringing the 'kit car'
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Les-bot as requested. Im afraid guys we are getting to the bottom of the barrel with these now. I have emailed the Japanese artist to tell him to hurry up and paint some more!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
let me know if you don't agree price. After driving Pete's car, I could be interested.
Sounds like it has fallen through, the buyer's got cold feet and is unsure about buying even at the price he originally offered, so I'll relist it. Let me know if you want to take a look at it.

Jason, would you mind letting Nelson know, if he's still interested? I can't find his number.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
So TACCOC is a regularity trial. You have to achieve the least variance per lap to your stated time to win.

If the maximum stated lap time allowed is 1.27 at HD then I assume this is actually quite high by the age/type/standards of the vehicles that take part.

Im curious. If you best consisent Playday lap in a 964 or similar vintage 911 is say 1.20 and assuming you stated you regularity time as 1.27, assuming 2-3 seconds a lap for overtaking slower traffic on the track would it not be more difficult to drive say 5 seconds slower per lap consistently with traffic than say choosing a time that was close to the maximum your 1960s Alfa was capable of in your hands at for example 1.28?

Obviously Paul and maybe Nik have been regulars in this type of event so Im curious as to where the challenges are for cars and drivers quicker than the nominated fastest time when taking place on the day. Looking at the blurb on the site the winners look like they are achieving regularity of 0.2 second a lap or below. Whilst most of us on Playday could probably consistently lap our vehicles within 0.5 seconds a lap on a fairly clear track it would appear it is much harder when driving slower than your/your cars ability with traffic. As I say, Im curious, is this a fair assumption?

So TACCOC is a regularity trial. You have to achieve the least variance per lap to your stated time to win - Almost correct. Classic Trials is a regularity trial, TACCOC stands for Thoroughbred and Classic Cars Owners Club, who run race weekends every 3-4 weeks over autumn and summer. These are reasonably big weekends with BMW's, classic mussel cars, pre 1978 cars, formula vee, classic trials etc all running on any given weekend. The cars are generally 20 years or older, 964's just make it in. If you had a GT3 you'd be out of luck and running the Porsche series.

The biggest race weekend in NZ (NZ Festival of Speed weekends) are a TACCOC based event.

http://www.taccoc.co.nz/

In TACCOC, if you race you would need a roll cage.............

Classic trials are a back door way of getting to the track on a race weekend without a race car.

You scrub the time by slowing down over the top of the home straight, I find I can go 8-9 tenths around the back of the track and just stick to 150kph over the front straight to stay within 1.27.

The challenge in Classic Trials is consistency of lines and braking points, heeling and toeing, shift points etc, and this is much harder than you think, and a good chance to improve driving skills. Just because you are not going flat out - doesn't mean there's no skill, it's actually much harder.

If you want, you can go 100% around the back of the track and go even slower over the top to scrub the speed, this is what I do with a few 944 guys and we practice overtaking each other into corners etc. to make it fun. Learning over taking under braking and going 3 abreast into a corner is much safer at 80%..............

When it's damp or wet, the time is still 1.27, so you can go flat out in these situations.

It's enjoyable in that you can't go flat out so it's not too hard on the car because you can only go at 80% and you don't need a role cage.

At the moment you can only do driver training days and play days without a cage. This is another avenue to go to the track with cars all around you, which I find more interesting than just circulating by yourself.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-08-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Sounds like it has fallen through, the buyer's got cold feet and is unsure about buying even at the price he originally offered, so I'll relist it. Let me know if you want to take a look at it.

Jason, would you mind letting Nelson know, if he's still interested? I can't find his number.
Call or text me - Paul 021 75 22 45.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Thanks for the explanation. It does sound interesting and I can see how hard it must be to stay consistent.

I'm not interested in fitting a full cage to my car (bolt in half cage only). However once the 993 qualifies on age, (sounds like they use the same 25 years from first year of production rules as the european classic tarmac rally's I hope to enter), then Ill certainly be keen to join in.

Buy the 964 C2. It would be perfect for you! I have some nice Cup 2 wheels you could put track rubber on LOL!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Had a great day at Taupo on Saturday. 4 Porsches (996 GT3, 997 Carrera S, 968, and my 944) and a Merc joined about 15 BMWs for the BMW driver training day. Unlike the PCNZ days the laps in the afternoon are usually without an instructor, so it's just like a track day really. Got lots of laps in -- by the end the sessions were up to 30 mins. I have to say that I prefer driving Taupo to HD, the tightness of the course (particularly if you're only doing the short track like we were) suits my car and driving style better. Shame it's not a little closer, but 2 hours is manageable.

The driver of the 996 GT3, Robert Ho, is a PCNZ member and was interested in the Porsche Playday Group. Hopefully he looks it up and joins in. He does Uncles Club days occasionally, so if anyone sees him there remind him about it.
Glad to see you are having so much fun. Hopefully I can talk you into classic trials this year!!!

Here is the link - as you can see - a lot of different and cool cars in the series.........

http://www.clublotus.org.nz/classict...%20gallery.htm
Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt: Message sent to Nelson and PM'd you his cell.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Reported as spam and awaiting the Bot
John,whats yr ph # or call me 0274923374
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So taking the Turbo back to my Indy next week to get the clutch looked at. Thanks for the suggestions. My question is, if it is something like Macca has explained has occurred ie an internal leak past the spline, is it my responsibility or theirs? I kind of assume that when you spend something like $4K to have the clutch replaced on a 22 y/o car, they'd change a $40 seal that is known to be an issue, especially when you've had half the other rubber parts replaced in the last year (such as perishing oil pipes).
I also assume a strong enough clutch went in, as this 3.3 has an extra 40hp over the standard 3.3 turbo (I did ask him if it was strong enough). Anyone know if the 3.3 and the 3.6 turbo have the same clutch?
Of course assume, makes an "***" out of "u" and "me"...
Old 04-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Jase. Regards the clutch seal. Hopefully this isn't the issue in your case. I too questioned the same. I was told its very unusual for this seal to go and they havent really seen it much on these cars (so they dont replace it as matter of course unless the owner specifically asks them too). I could see where this was all going and just backed off. All care no responsibility like in so may other industries and to be fair to them Im the kind of client that usually (and did) say replace everything you think needs doing. They obviously didnt think it needed doing and if I had had researched more thoroughly perhaps I would have asked them to specifically replace it. Lesson learnt. My cost....
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed

The 997 c2s on the taupo day was me!! Awesome day. Need more front grip.... Or quite probably learn how to drive a 911 properly....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?