Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Jamie can correct me if wrong. It did have a "famous" owner but I think it may have been Banksie...
Yes it belonged to John Banks.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Jamie can correct me if wrong. It did have a "famous" owner but I think it may have been Banksie...
Macca - I said famous mate, not infamous..........
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I wonder what the Green 2.7 cost new in 1977?

I have a client who purchased a gold 3.0 Turbo new in NZ in 1977, cost $85,000 back then, approx 3 x the cost of a house in Browns Bay.............

He sold it into Aussie 5 years later for $120K AUD..........this guy was almost as good as you Macca at making money out of cars.........
Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Infamous. LOL I think you are right.

I cant compare. $35k AUD+ profit in 1982 is a truck load!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thats alot of owners over the first 5 years. Guess only the last owner had it long enough to allow the colour to grow on them...
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
I looked at this car when I was going through the 964 RS versus 964 T debate.

I text the guy to arrange a look in CHCH (I think or perhaps it was Wellington) because I thought that maybe the colour was better in person and I was flying down to look at a C2 anyway.

His response was "you can come and look if you want but don't bother if you haven't got the cash, it's not a cheap car"

Obviously I didn't bother seeing the guy or the car. I wish him the best of luck getting his 85k.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

At 25 years old and after dropping out of school without doing school C I was pretty happy to be owning any colour 911...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
At 25 years old and after dropping out of school without doing school C I was pretty happy to be owning any colour 911...
Fair play.

And "lol" at your signature. Love it.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You beat me by 5 years and I have School C!

Your officially our boards delinquent success mate LOL!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

John - any update on the 964 engine mate??
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John - any update on the 964 engine mate??
I last checked on Tuesday. Engine is out but tear down hasn't progressed enough to establish the condition. So much going on at work and with the house that I haven't chased them.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Phil. Just read a great article from Eoin Young in Feb Classic Driver Magazine (one of my monthly favorites) on your dad Lenny. Wow, sounded like a hell of a guy and very talented turning his hand to many things over his lifetime. A historical figure in NZ Motorsports too. A great read. Lending the Cooper 500 to Bruce McLaren (his first every drive in a Cooper) and passing the 250F onto Chris Amon which launched his career in Europe are just some highlights of this mans "epic" life. Im guessing growing up around your dad was interesting to say the least and you have probably met and known some stalwarts of the NZ Motorsports scene in the 60s/70s.

Just a brief plug for Classic Driver Magazine. I more often than not support the under dog but in this case its well justified. I get quite a few international publications including EVO & the usual Porsche UK mags but I must say that the best thing I ever did was subscribe to Classic Driver a few years back. Its by far the best NZ motoring publication and contains many first hand historical accounts off our illustrious motorsport past including great original photos etc. Its so cheap to subscribe to annually (less than $50 to your door!) that it would be a shame to see such a great publication eventually disappear from a lack of support. The quality of journalism is just first rate with lots of contributions from people such as Eoin Young (Kiwi) one of the most famous of all journalists of the period and internationally renound.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Sounds like an interesting read, I better get my hands on a copy.

I hope you guys are watching the V8s at Puke. I've not watched them in years but wanted to see what the track was like after the changes. I'm massively impressed with what those drivers are doing in those big cars. They are bouncing around all over the place on a knife edge. To see Scotty McLaughlin win the first race against a field of drivers that someone like Johnny Reid is at the back of(!) gives you an idea of just how good he's gonna be. Wow.

We might have to organise a run there. Will take a whole 'nother set of ***** at Puke compared to HD though.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Mate. I just scanned it and sent it to you. Also great article on HD Denny weekend. Some great pictures of Steve & the Gulf livery cars. This magazine is great. It has a monthly column from Roger Wills. Roger is a VERY wealthy Kiwi in his late 40s working and living in europe and spending most of his time racing vintage historic road events for others as well as in his own cars (a very lovely collection of multi million $$$ value). Just great stuff and he mixes it w th the best.

Puke is the only track I've really spent any tiime on. I found it much less technical than HD. It had a faster back straight. I think its a bit shorter than HD. You are right however, limited run off and lots of armco means less room for error. I for one would be keen on revisiting Puke...
Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Sounds like an interesting read, I better get my hands on a copy.

I hope you guys are watching the V8s at Puke. I've not watched them in years but wanted to see what the track was like after the changes. I'm massively impressed with what those drivers are doing in those big cars. They are bouncing around all over the place on a knife edge. To see Scotty McLaughlin win the first race against a field of drivers that someone like Johnny Reid is at the back of(!) gives you an idea of just how good he's gonna be. Wow.

We might have to organise a run there. Will take a whole 'nother set of ***** at Puke compared to HD though.
You bet - compulsive viewing. That last race was a cracker - no good for the kiwis but some hairy moments. Gis's car control at 200k+ on the grass was awesome. Only 1hr til F1 qualifying as well! Still a bit tired from watching the Breakers 3peat til 2 in the morning - top weekend!!

Be very keen to try Puke as well.Have only done driver training there in the past.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?