Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
John,whats yr ph # or call me 0274923374
Text sent.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. I was shopping on one of the vendors I use website and saw they have a 2" dish momo and all the hub gear etc. Thought it might be of interest....

http://rothsport-racing.com/Products...heels-Hubs.htm
Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
The 997 c2s on the taupo day was me!! Awesome day. Need more front grip.... Or quite probably learn how to drive a 911 properly....
Matt, nice to meet you and it looked like you were doing very well indeed, particularly considering you've only had your car for a month! I think you were keeping the fastest of the Beemers honest. Did you go to the dinner and find out the results of the slalom?

It's a bit more of a trek for you, but if you want to have a go at Hampton Downs you should consider joining the "Porsche Playday Group" http://www.europacific.co.nz/playday/index.php. Just a bunch of Porsche guys who have got "the bug". Next days are May 4 and June 9... make a weekend of it!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Les-bot as requested. Im afraid guys we are getting to the bottom of the barrel with these now. I have emailed the Japanese artist to tell him to hurry up and paint some more!
(With apologies to everyone else for encouraging Macca's fetish)

I did wonder the other day whether you were a fan of H R Giger?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes I have at least one book on his work. Quite dark stuff!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 AM
Obsessed
Pro

An ultra-budget racing series: http://2kcup.com

Four North Island rounds, maximum $2000 for the car, maximum 2000cc, no turbos, no modifications allowed (except roll cage, presumably).

Edit: Looks like even roll cage isn't required, but is recommended.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Macca, some interesting thoughts on PCNZ a couple of pages back. I think the Pearsons have had a big effect on the number of "driving" events organised, no doubt because they are right into participating in them. Increasing the number of track oriented events further sounds great to me -- over the last couple of years I've noticed that almost all the events I've attended (bar the informal Waikato lunch runs) have been driving focused: gymkhanas, DEs, regularity trial, autocross. These are also the events that stick in my mind long after the day.

I think the key is to get people started on the "low-grade drugs", i.e. gymkhanas and DEs. I found the gymkhanas were a good starting point in getting a feel for the car moving around and getting interested in handling and car control. The DEs are also good but I do wonder how many people miss out on them because there's usually only one each year and it's so popular. I imagine it's difficult to organise all the instructors, and this is probably the limiting factor.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. I was shopping on one of the vendors I use website and saw they have a 2" dish momo and all the hub gear etc. Thought it might be of interest....

http://rothsport-racing.com/Products...heels-Hubs.htm
Thanks. I have the hub already and have decided on the model so it's just a matter of sourcing the wheel at the best NZ landed price.

However, I won't pull the pin until I've seen the engine apart and see what's what. Dean is onto that right now. The engine is out and tear down is partially done. Unfortunately, I'm probably looking at bringing forward a lot of cost with this 'adventure'. It would be a false economy to ignore the items that 964 owners are replacing on a regular basis e.g. clutches, oil lines, engine mounts, power steering belts.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John - I've never dealt with them but Vivid racing have the best NZ price for a Mod 07 (without the Porsche logo on the right spoke) that I've seen. $247 NZ

http://www.vividracing.co.nz/momo_mo...1013475585.php

$330 at Moonlight http://mlracing.co.nz/magento/index....g-wheel-1.html

Makes it quite a premium to pay for the extra lettering - tho it is nice!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Peter, I saw those in a Google search, but I couldn't tell whether they are NZ based or not. It appears they may be offshore shops with a co.nz URL
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes - looks like that. But the price is quoted in NZD - question is whether there is a big international freight charge on top.

Scarles have it on trademe at $365 - a big difference to the $600+ on their website!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-580833099.htm
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Victoria602
7th Gear

Nice to see some more Kiwis coming out of the woodwork.http://xin70.info/10.jpg
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Yes - looks like that. But the price is quoted in NZD - question is whether there is a big international freight charge on top.

Scarles have it on trademe at $365 - a big difference to the $600+ on their website!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-580833099.htm
Looks like it will be NZD 275 + shipping to bring in from the States. I don't think shipping will be NZD 90 so it's online we go...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Obsessed. That 2KCup series looks like ALOT of fun! I see a 3.18i e30 BMW with a weekend stripping out everything that bolts down, some heavily cambered track tyres as making an ideal first season sled. At the end of the season (assuming you make it that far) drop it of at the wreckers and all up its cost you not much more than a couple of set s of tyres for the 911!

I just love their legend "Race the Car not the Bank!". A repeat Targa friend of mine (and multiple Porsche owner including 997.1 GT3) has this to say to me upon reflecting on his track exploits recently -

"To be honest the racing game is a sprint to the bottom (spend more money for diminishing returns to battle people with bigger egos and cheque books). The scene for race drivers at national and international level is even worse.... if you are young and talented a lot of money buys you a chance, but even guys like Jonny Reid have struggled to get regular sponsored drives!"

GT38088. Not sure what happened to your post. Might have gone down with RL site last night. Good to know someone is reading my lengthy posts LOL! It would be great to see your open wheeler on the track by the way. I drive in a Lotus 7 years ago and must say the experience is firmly etched in my memory. exhilarating!

Obsessed. Mike and Rosemary are great people. I was lucky enough to spend some time with them at the Parade. I truly believe that under Mackrels guidance they have done much to shape the way the club is today. They are easy to approach and friendly, humble, diplomatic and intelligent. They have benefited the club a huge amount over the last 3 years and its the enthusiasm they bring to the job and the organisation that's been lacking. Typically British they have a boots and all mentality and really make things happen - very passionate about the Marque and the club. If the club were to loose them I suspect it would be detrimental to the enjoyment of many...

John. Will be interested to hear the prognosis/diagnosis on your engine. Its sensible as you say to replace all wear items whilst in there. At least the lay over has given you no doubt plenty of time to scan the RL 964 board and get ideas for what is required in this regard. I find I spend much much more time researching that buying the bits and having them fitted.

Of interest to some here I spent 60 minutes on a call (internet was down so from my cell phone damn it!) talking with Steve Wiener at Rennsport Systems in Oregon today about 964/993 engine "upgrades". Hes recently completed an engine belonging to Kai on the 64 board that many of you may be familiar with. I was very intrigued to learn more about this as it uses a unique intake manifold and exhaust configuration. Needless to say we discussed many things 3.6/3.8 engine related. Coming away form the conversation (and I have a pretty good understanding going into it as to what can be achieved with these engines) I had only one thought in mind. Anyonee seriously contemplating spending 35-45k USD on one of these super duper engines needs to fly to the States (or the UK) and try out different configurations to find the set up that best works with their driving usage/applications/style as well as budget. For a small investment its the ONLY way to have an engine built that wont disappoint when its matched with your own gear set ratios and transmission configurations (LWFC etc). For me this was just all an academic exercise but maybe in a few years time (or sooner if it goes bang) my engine may need to be rebuilt due to wear and its always good to stay ontop of what is possible if you are doing it once and properly.

Heres Kais engine below. Steve's dyno readings are very conservative compared to some. It make 335-340 bhp and around 285-290 lbft in an almost flat line (which is apparently its strongest asset). It doesn't rev much past 7000 as it uses stock 3.6 964 internals with a 964RS mild cam! It runs ITB off a custom pleneum and this is part of its secret. Its tuned on Motec M84. Of course its a ridiculously large amount of money to spend and makes no financial sense but is still very cool...
Attached Images    
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Obsessed. That 2KCup series looks like ALOT of fun! I see a 3.18i e30 BMW with a weekend stripping out everything that bolts down, some heavily cambered track tyres as making an ideal first season sled. At the end of the season (assuming you make it that far) drop it of at the wreckers and all up its cost you not much more than a couple of set s of tyres for the 911!

I just love their legend "Race the Car not the Bank!". A repeat Targa friend of mine (and multiple Porsche owner including 997.1 GT3) has this to say to me upon reflecting on his track exploits recently -

"To be honest the racing game is a sprint to the bottom (spend more money for diminishing returns to battle people with bigger egos and cheque books). The scene for race drivers at national and international level is even worse.... if you are young and talented a lot of money buys you a chance, but even guys like Jonny Reid have struggled to get regular sponsored drives!"

This is so true.
Thats why I use my Golf GTI Mk1 as a track day. It works out to be cheaper that racing Karts. I get just as bigger thrill as anyone else on the track.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?