Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013 | 08:20 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Speaking of Design 911, they do cheap tyres, could be worth looking into? I know a couple of guys (brother and a mate) who have used them for road and track tyres, the 888's were around 1/4 cheaper than the NZ prices landed including freight.
Old 02-21-2013 | 11:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'm ideally looking for an 18" 8/9 combo but let me know if you decide not to go for it as they sure are tempting!
Feel free to bid. I've put a bid up, but won't be chasing them. Each purchase for this car is a double-up i.e. pay for the parts and quid pro quo to my wife so I need to think economical
Old 02-21-2013 | 11:56 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Default Intro

I've been reading this thread for a few weeks & thought I'd do a quick intro!

I lived in NZ from 2004-7 -- at the time it was just myself and Kiwi girlfriend. Well, we since married, have a couple kiddos, and are finishing up year six on the edge of the expanse in Kansas City, MO.

Before moving to NZ I sold my 951 and a couple years after our return found a 90 964 C4 that I still have. It looks like before the year is out, we'll be heading back -- Auckland (Ramarama) area.

I plan on bringing my 964 along, or a widebody if I can find one before the move. Have done research on importing and exchanged email with folks at AA, validating what I've read on the NZTA site. I believe I shouldn't have any issues since the car is now 20yo -- the threshold for LHD. There was some mention earlier on this thread about problems importing -- hopefully that's not accurate.

Definitely interested in input from those who've done or considered doing the same. If it makes more sense to sell and buy a local 964, then I'm all ears. I can spend my time collecting accessories to throw in the moving container instead.

OK, enough novel... thought I'd end with a quick phone pic & an apology: Sorry, for potentially introducing yet another white, manual 964 to NZ!
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2013 | 12:21 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi CS - welcome to our little corner of the forum! The more 964's the merrier - even if they're white...!

Re importing - I've done this with a 1997 993 a few years back. It was from the UK so no issue with LHD. But, unless it was a special car that I intended to keep forever I probably wouldn't do it again unless there was good upside in the exchange rate. Imported cars will always have a bit of a stigma (not "NZ new") and the market for LHD cars is really pretty small.

The issue with finding a NZ one is that good ones don't come around all that often. You can pay anywhere from 20-25k for an ex Singapore/HK tip to 40k+ for a well sorted NZ new manual. Not sure how that would square with selling yours before you leave and buying into the market here?

Living in Ramarama puts you close to 2 good tracks - so there's a bonus.

Keep us up to date - we guarantee a good support network. And the white 964 looks gorgeous too!!
Old 02-22-2013 | 12:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

CS Mende. Welcome on board buddy! Nice ride too!

It all depends how long you will live in NZ. If you will be here only a few years it would probably make sense to buy something local. If you find a good C2 like Matts red on this board you wont likely loose any money on it while you have it.

Importing a LHD 911 is great as long and you intend to keep it a long time. The price for LHD 911s is softer than RHD ones here. However you know your car and in this sense its an advantage as you know all the work thats been done on it etc.

Under the 20yr law you should be fine. You may bee restricted for how long you have to own the car in NZ before you can sell it that's all.

Budget 1,800 nzd for local costs to get the container delivered, Port Fee, complied and first time registered and WOF plus docs. If they fail it on anything (they can be very thorough) you'll need to budget the addition cost of the work to rectify.

Make sure you join the Playday Group for some track fun when you arrive!
Old 02-22-2013 | 12:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another point to add is that tracks close to Ramarama run clockwise so with a LHD you would be on the outside of most corners. I'll be more emphatic than the others - sell your car and buy one in NZ. There is a very limited market for LHD cars. That said bring any trick parts with you.
Old 02-22-2013 | 01:18 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

And pack a container with tires from tirerack that we're no longer able to import for all your new friends and you'll be fine.
Old 02-22-2013 | 06:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

CS Mende. Actually what Peter suggests is not a bad idea. If you are bringing a container over you could help subsidize the cost by allowing the members on this board to have tyres shipped to you to bring over in your container. If we all paid you say 250 usd in freight per set I believe we could rustle up at least 5 sets of tyres which would defray 1250 usd of your container cost and they wouldnt take much space if stacked to the roof. Id be in for a set and Im sure youd find at least 4 others here would be willing. If you have to pay GST we will cover that. It could be worth considering....
Old 02-22-2013 | 06:11 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Thanks for the replies, guys! This is definitely going to be a long-term move -- and I'm pretty damn excited about being close to two tracks & ditching snow (sitting in 10 inches of it at the moment).

Interesting thought about the track direction ... I hadn't thought of that aspect.

I picked up my little runner for a measly $15K and have put in the requisite 5K into it. She's right at 138K miles! I'd probably take off some bits like my updated airbag wheel, and I have plenty sitting on the shelf to install. The goal has always been to make it a car that's competent on the road and when I find the time have fun on the track. I use it as my daily to drive everywhere (I cover a geography for work) - regular 4-hour trips are part of that. Not practical in every way -- but that's what the family haulers are for.

I will give some serious thought to selling -- as now might be a good time to start looking for a NZ 964 ...

As far as the container goes -- I would be absolutely willing to bring over gear & tires. One of the things I've seen following threads and doing my own research is how the importers really have NZ wrapped up. I'm pretty painfully aware of the current exchange rate (was 56c when I arrived in 04!!) and it amazes me that it's only seemed to damage the export industries in NZ, and not really benefited import prices... I could be wrong, just a layman's view. I've been considering a set of Recaro seats & based on the conversations I'll be packing a set of those for sure. Roughly speaking -- I would be looking to pack a container in August/September; but lots of variable still at play.
Old 02-22-2013 | 06:14 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

With all this talk of 964's sometime last year I came across a NZ new 964 C2 manual (guards red) in a garage of a property we had listed (I sell real estate). It blew me away because I had never seen it before. Looking on carjam it only seems to do 1,000kms a year.
Old 02-22-2013 | 07:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

CS Mende.

Welcome to the Switzerland of the South Pacific!

You pretty much nailed it in your last paragraph. With the exchange rate running the way it has in the last 3-4 years its safe to say I (and Im sure others on here) have virtually imported everything for our cars from the USA or the UK and even landed and taxed we are talking on average a 35% saving over the best local price. The only thing stopping this international arbitrage crushing the NZ economy entirely is an apparent lack of international price awareness by kiwis! It may be the land of expensive housing/building, fuel, power, general labour rates and consumer retail items but the upsides are plenty (someone needs to help me out here LOL!!). Seriously though, NZ is a good place.

Mate, if you are ok with bringing over a few things Id love a set of Recaro Pole Positions and a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my 993. Ill PM you with my details and perhaps you can drop me a line when your plans become clear. Will make it worth your while of course...
Old 02-22-2013 | 07:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If we can be of any help on your move back with advise and otherwise let us know...
Old 02-22-2013 | 08:26 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Went out and drove that white Cayman this morning. Its an ex Malaysia, driver training car brought in by the dealership. That explains its 14,000km. Absolute hoot to drive - beautifully balanced and the suspension is great. Very heavy clutch compared to the C4 - I was surprised at that - apparently its a new one. Gearbox has a very short throw which felt odd and a bit imprecise - not a short shift. It looks amazing and has had a good tickle up prior to sale.

I was looking to see whether it would do dual DD duty + track but the clutch ruled it out as a potential DD. For track I'm just a bit nervous about its reputation - not just the IMS but also reports of oiling problems when driven hard on track. Maybe have to leave it til the new Cayman comes out and a few gen IIs start to come on the market.
Old 02-22-2013 | 08:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Peter. Its the car Tony Elsemore and others use at the EMD/PNZ driver training days - used to be all sticker-ed up. I think its seen alot of hard use but good to know its standing up well to the punishment. The clutch shouldn't be that heavy. I drove one briefly a while back and the clutch was no heavier than my 993. It must also have some sort of short shifter kit on it. They are a well balanced package and considerably easier to drive on the limit than our old tech steads. I wouldn't write it off but I would say in 6 months these will all be 50k or less and you'll be-able to get a nice original NZ new one low kms with some nice options for that kind of money. A well sorted late model Caymen S will be faster than any 964/993 (even considerably modified) in every way give like for like drivers IMHO.
Old 02-22-2013 | 08:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt did you take that black GT3 for a drive yet mate? Interested in your feedback...find a good one and you will be hooked!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?