Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I've asked Brian @ Megatyres Browns Bay (09 478 6004) for a quote. Taking him a while to come back. I sense it's just a flick through from Hankook's main agent here i.e. no stock held. I don't think you have to go through him as there are other Hankook dealers around.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I am certainly happy with the car with the spec it came in, C2 with a well sorted platform. I have baskets full of parts on plenty of websites but took some of Macca's previous advice to plan well first to avoid doing it twice. My vision for the car is solidifying
My first track day was a revelation. That's why I'm not going back out until I can do it on track tyres and with brakes, suspension sorted. You're half way there as Matt did the shakedowns for you.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I've asked Brian @ Megatyres Browns Bay (09 478 6004) for a quote. Taking him a while to come back. I sense it's just a flick through from Hankook's main agent here i.e. no stock held. I don't think you have to go through him as there are other Hankook dealers around.
That's where I got mine. Quote was back inside an hour and the tyres were in his shop later that same week.

I agree you could probably get the same deal through other Hankook retailers but they are convenient to where I work.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Speak of the Devil

size 225 45 17 91w c70 soft $371.00 each inc gst
size 255 40 17 94w c70 soft $415.00 each inc gst

So $1,572 for a set of 17inch shoes. that includes fitting.

Last edited by John McM; 05-16-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Bob - how are you going with the w*nkers and wannabe's with selling the 993?
I've not sold it but have had some interest recently....have decided not to renew the listing until mid June as I'm out of circulation till then.....not to many tyre kickers and stupid questions fortunately!!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

True, I look at the Trademe ads in a different way now. A shiny red C4 is no longer viewed with rose tinted glasses. Clutch, gearbox, electronics, control arms, engine condtion and the number of useful mods all have to be taken into account. Dave got a great buy and looks like he has a plan to enhance his car. I'm now in so deep on my car it won't be on the market anytime soon. I now have the platform for a great trackday and an eventual backdate. What I now realise is that I could have ended up this way even without my adventure. These are not cars for underfunded owners.
Yes. Very well said.

Over the years I've looked at perhaps 3-4 993s with guys I know whom I've promised to give a hand too and consulted with many others buying a 993 (in fact I believe I helped David in that regard with his mint 993 C2 quite a few years ago). Only on one occasion did the car live up to the hype an sales blurb (and actually it was Davids 993!).

These are old cars and mainly unloved. Id say 50% of the cars in the market would break in some way on their first HD track day if driven well by someone who knew the track. Let alone Targa which is not so hard on the engines and breaks but an endurance event so niggles become majors very quickly.

As you say John every likelihood you would have had an oil line blow down the front straight at HD in your C4 if you had have taken it out on the 29th and perhaps in some ways you dodged the bullet by having this indiscretion. Looking at the pictures of your oil lines weeping and knowing there was probably worse unseen even though it doesn't seem it when you look at the CC statement perhaps its not such a bad thing afterall.

Once youve been through this and all the expense of upgrade and become educated to the cost of doing thing properly and what the components are worth you certainly wouldn't shy away from spending an extra 20-30k on a well sorted modified car and thats whats happening in the UK market.

David. Good idea with the planning in advance. It takes alot of time I know but its worth the bandwidth because its expensive to get it wrong. Even so you sometimes receive items that once you hold them dont quite look as good or quite like hat you imagined so like any remote shopping there is some risk.

www.fvd.de is my all time favorite site. Ive never purchased anything from then as Ive usually found a cheaper or more convieniient supplier but its a great place to get ideas and they stock more than any other supplier for our cars - they effectively aggregate the best stuff form european manufacturers/suppliers in one place. I can spend hours dreaming on that site!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, there was the equivalent of a loaded gun in that oil line, which no PPI could've picked up as the wear point was hidden. If that hadn't done me in then it's 50/50 whether the clutch would have worn out on the day etc.

In the end it has given me a refreshed engine and a base line for future maintenance. I'm still enthusiastic about getting it on the track and learning to drive it properly. It will last me a few years at least. If I catch the bug I'll likely buy a GT3 for the track. Just need to work out how to house another car. A problem for another day.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Tyres being fitted to the Fuchs on Monday. Also slated at the same time to receive the ducktail and grille. Two front oil lines coming in from the UK @ $420 each compared to dealer price of $700 each. Then it should all go together over the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will have the car ready for the Gymkhana. Any recommendations for paint work? I'll need to do the spoiler, brake ducts and get an outwards dent out of the bonnet taken car of (someone obviously overestimated what it could take )

Dave, I'll be home the weekend of 25 May if you want to try an adaptation on your C2. Or simply read off the system faults.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:42 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Back to my Chinese buddy, Macca. Fresh from a blast back from Lunch in Suzhou in his 997 c2s (in surprisingly fetching Macadamia brown), his Singapore based 993 C4s is silver / black. Upon buying he took it to an indy porsche shop (an english guy??) to pull it down and sort it. I've got him on trade me and he is quite taken by the 2 3.6 turbos and the yellow 993 turbo.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I agree. Hindsight is a great thing.

Getting it on the track will be overdue. Apart from a comfortable seat and perhaps a little weight reduction i really don't think there is anything else you should do to the car until you know if the track thing is definitely something you will do with regularity.

If it is selling the 64T to buy a good 6GT3 and use the balance of cash to backdate the 964 to your liking would make alot of sense and provide a much greater combination of reliability, practicability and fun than any other combination I could think of. Life is short and every day not sitting in the 911 of your choice is a day wasted IMHO so Id even be tempted to over the 996TT on once you nailed your ultimate config backdate 964 and drive that as your daily driver (depnedant on work parking). I now use my 993 as my everysomething car when in NZ and I just love living with it and even the most mundane trip to the shops gives me massive smiles and the old biddies in the simmer frames heart attacks! People say "what if it gets a scratch or door chip" but hey paint and panel scares me much less than an off on the Targa or Track or even a busted clutch or engine so I don't worry any more. Its covered in small chips from Targa and track on 29th so one day it may need a paint. Already done that once so it doesn't scare me anymore.

La Dolce Vita I say!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

David. Interesting on the C4S. Not aware of that one in Singapore.

Alot of Singaporeans get excited when they look on TM. I want aware it was possible for them to import such cars unless things have changed. Its really quite ironic when many of the cars on TM they like are actually ex Singapore in the first place! That Seaseme Street 993 Turbo is a classic example!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I have an affliction. I only buy cars. I have to learn how to let go of one before I add another or find a bigger garage.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 AM
cbnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, for paintwork, give Kevin Etches a call at Topline, (09) 276 3816, he also lives close to you, in Siota.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Tyres being fitted to the Fuchs on Monday. Also slated at the same time to receive the ducktail and grille. Two front oil lines coming in from the UK @ $420 each compared to dealer price of $700 each. Then it should all go together over the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will have the car ready for the Gymkhana. Any recommendations for paint work? I'll need to do the spoiler, brake ducts and get an outwards dent out of the bonnet taken car of (someone obviously overestimated what it could take )

Dave, I'll be home the weekend of 25 May if you want to try an adaptation on your C2. Or simply read off the system faults.
Thanks John, will do

Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
David. Interesting on the C4S. Not aware of that one in Singapore.

Alot of Singaporeans get excited when they look on TM. I want aware it was possible for them to import such cars unless things have changed. Its really quite ironic when many of the cars on TM they like are actually ex Singapore in the first place! That Seaseme Street 993 Turbo is a classic example!
Not my cup of tea either. He would leave the car here in storage, as he does with the Singapore one.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?