Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014 | 04:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its a gateway drug Neil. In no time youll be driving a 997 GT3 Cup car wondering where the budget racing went ;-P
Old 11-08-2014 | 06:09 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Its a gateway drug Neil. In no time youll be driving a 997 GT3 Cup car wondering where the budget racing went ;-P
There's no shortage of evidence to support that view!
Old 11-08-2014 | 04:59 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I'd definately like to thrash BB around the track. Have only had one HD run in her from memory and I don't currently have a track alternative. Once Lola is in Steve's shop (end of Nov) I won't have a track car or something to spend my weekends underneath so will be looking for some track outlet.
Old 11-08-2014 | 05:04 PM
O2GO
Drifting

So Macca, out with the GT3 and in with the GT4. Is that the plan?

It will be an amazing machine having the motor the right way around for ultimate balance, and all that power.
Old 11-08-2014 | 05:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I figure, account balance and garaging allowing, we'll keep on running her till she drops from something terminal, which could easily be a turn one whoopsy that doesn't end as benignly as the recent ones.

Next outing is 13/12 with BB2 and the Grinch. Given she is at HD, the 13/12 run at least will be on light 15" rims and new Dunlop Direzza Z11 tyres. We will have to start a new leaderboard for that combo.

If anyone has a soft spot for squealing pig tyres there is a crap set from the Grinch that could be used at some stage, but for the 13th at least I'd like to see how the three Integras go Mano a Mano. I'm picking it may not be as decisive as we think although the race cars should win.
Old 11-08-2014 | 06:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
So Macca, out with the GT3 and in with the GT4. Is that the plan?

It will be an amazing machine having the motor the right way around for ultimate balance, and all that power.
Originally those were my thoughts Doug. However the compensation I received from PAG for "lack of use" has give me the luxury of extended ownership options for the GT3, and if Im perfectly honest Im finding the idea of giving up the GT3 increasingly difficult (it works so well as a DD as well as a track car and occasional fast road car with all the drama on tap when needed). Of course these views haven't been fully expressed yet to the better half!

I think some extended road/touring time this summer plus the track outing in Jan will better let me get the measure of the GT3 on home soil and decide ultimately how long it will reside in the stable. Either way I intend to enjoy it for another 12-18 months before the fiscal pact I made (selling it before I made a loss) potentially forces my hand.

The Cayman GT4 will be no GT3 but if they finally endow it with the power in needs (close to 400 bhp) with a decent chassis and brakes it could certainly be of interest as the basis for another European adventure in mid 2016 - assuming of course the numbers and timing work (could be tricky as I see the GT4 braking cover in early 2015 for delivery from mid 2015 and I suspect it will be a 12-18 month run model). Ordering it Paint to Sample would be my choice this time (and slow down the delivery).

The big unknown is whether it can work economically again. The Caymans dont hold residuals as well as the GT3 and I suspect the Euro will finally start to appreciate against the USD in 2015. The NZD will in my view continue to weaken against the USD/GBP for most of 2015 until the RBNZ lift the base rate (forecast Q3 2015). That may lend support to the NZD again which by then may be sitting around 73 cents. I suspect for the majority of that period the NZD/Euro cross will remain above 60 cents which favours a Euro purchase but timing will be critical to making the math work, and NZ distributor pricing will have a part to play. laying down some Dual Currency Investments NZD plays Euro mid/late 2015 may well be the best hedge to stockpile Euro funds for a future purchase. Right now holding Euro has little appeal (low yield and risk for further depreciation), so USD is probably where its at (some appreciation, low yield) unless you want to venture into European equities (which could actually be very rewarding medium term with some interim yield by way of dividends to boot - if you have the stomach for it).

It could simply be that the 991 GT3 is as good as its going to get in our household for the present/future. The combination of Euro delivery adventures, local track work and NZ touring adventures for the funds outlayed all wrapped up in a extended warranty for road and track package is going to be almost impossible to replicate. Its been exceptional value to date and made me remember there are some great lifestyle benefits to a newer model sports car. The car has yet to cost a dollar to maintain, tyres look like they'll get to 10,000 kms no problem even with Jans track day and pads still have plenty of meat on them. I think the service schedule is 24 months, however Ill be taking it in before then to be on the safe side.

The big question mark is the 993. The GT3 has reminded me its a bit futile developing that car any further. Its already a bit comprised for the road but ultimately too heavy and antiquated for ongoing reliable track. If I werent so attached to it I may sell it. However I thin Ill probably dial it back a bit over the next few years - soften it up to make it a more appealing car just to jump into and go up the road. The 3.8L conversion is of interest when the engine finally needs some work, but Im less inclined these days to go exotic as Im a bit sick of "proto-typing" and with the 2-3 months a year on the ground in NZ just want to play and stack up the miles.
Old 11-08-2014 | 06:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. Here is the screenshot mentioning GT4 as an option (bottom left hand tick box) that appeared momentarily on the Porsche USA site last week. They are either playing with us or its confirmation of its pending arrival (I will go with the latter as PCNZ seem to have many moments of ineptitude recently)....

Pete. Haven't heard much from you on your thoughts about your Cayman S, but if its a car you feel has potential this could be a great chariot for yourself and Kim in the late summer of 2016 to visit the vineyards of Provence as well as the tracks of Germany!
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2014 | 08:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, the day you find the absolute sweet spot with Porsche ownership (embodied by owning only one car) tell me!

In the meantime I'll have to become even more of a grease monkey keeping the current ones on the road to make it work financially, when I can get the Integras out of the garage.
Old 11-08-2014 | 08:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, the day you find the absolute sweet spot with Porsche ownership (embodied by owning only one car) tell me!
Lol. You are right John. I think it will be a life's work. Its the hunt for the Golden Fleece! The new GT3 IMO is the closest yet. 90%.
Old 11-08-2014 | 08:57 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete. Haven't heard much from you on your thoughts about your Cayman S, but if its a car you feel has potential this could be a great chariot for yourself and Kim in the late summer of 2016 to visit the vineyards of Provence as well as the tracks of Germany!
Well the reason for lack of posting on much recently is that I'm here at work on a beautifully sunny Sunday.....

Re the CS... I love the way it drives, pure and simple. Great feel, handling, enough power - as a DD road car, very hard to beat. Its so rare to get the opportunity to use what it has that anything more would fell like overkill.

What I don't like... Ugly wheels - fixable and will do once I've killed the current tyres. Can't pick both kids up from school - which means when that needs doing I'm relegated to the Mazda(rati) and Kim gets the pleasure of the Cayman. And occasionally, crawling through spaghetti junction or up Parnell Rise is a PITA and the reason I initially said I wanted PDK. But on balance I'll put up with that for all the fun when I'm not crawling through city traffic.

It won't see the track again - maybe not until its depreciated and been used enough to become the donor for a hardcore Cayman racecar - and even then It'll probably be cheaper to buy one that someone else has built.

The prospect of a GT4 collection in Europe is a very, very strong draw though. The only issue is getting the timing right for that Sep 2016 window - don't think I could bear the thought of waiting all that time and then missing the collection and having to drive a Fiesta for 3 weeks around the mountain roads of Europe....
Old 11-08-2014 | 08:57 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

clubsport gt4 with LWF and manual would be interesting for me
Old 11-08-2014 | 09:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Well the reason for lack of posting on much recently is that I'm here at work on a beautifully sunny Sunday.....

Re the CS... I love the way it drives, pure and simple. Great feel, handling, enough power - as a DD road car, very hard to beat. Its so rare to get the opportunity to use what it has that anything more would fell like overkill.

What I don't like... Ugly wheels - fixable and will do once I've killed the current tyres. Can't pick both kids up from school - which means when that needs doing I'm relegated to the Mazda(rati) and Kim gets the pleasure of the Cayman. And occasionally, crawling through spaghetti junction or up Parnell Rise is a PITA and the reason I initially said I wanted PDK. But on balance I'll put up with that for all the fun when I'm not crawling through city traffic.

It won't see the track again - maybe not until its depreciated and been used enough to become the donor for a hardcore Cayman racecar - and even then It'll probably be cheaper to buy one that someone else has built.

The prospect of a GT4 collection in Europe is a very, very strong draw though. The only issue is getting the timing right for that Sep 2016 window - don't think I could bear the thought of waiting all that time and then missing the collection and having to drive a Fiesta for 3 weeks around the mountain roads of Europe....
Thanks for the observations.

I agree manual makes the car feel more special when you go for a fast Sunday drive. The PDK in auto is brilliant in traffic or when wanting to "switch off". PDK-S in manual is very exciting but needs a big road or a race track to get as much enjoyment as a manual (which would be doing 80% of the speed).

Getting the timing right for a car in Europe is not difficult. The GT4 will be in full production well before 2016 so no where near as hit and miss as ordering one of the first to roll of the line as I did (due to closing in of winter).

I agree Graeme. I dont think there will be a LWFC option from teh factory but I think manual with one piece bucket seats (as per the new 918 now available on the 991 GT3 and stock on the new 991 GT3RS) would be the way to go. Im told those seats may rigger the CS (Clubsport option) available for first time outside of the GT3 range which will mean a small rear half cage and 6 point drivers harness with FE. Otherwise I dont expect any great weight savings efforts on behalf of Porsche. The 981 series already has alloy hood and doors and its been pretty well leaked now that this car will be a parts bin special mechanically so no new engine or gearbox I suspect. The best we can hope for is maybe 40-50kg with the bucket seat option and a stiffer chassis with better pick up points and the 991 GT3 calibration on the electric steering.

I think it would make a great car to spend a month or more in Europe with. I think the Cayman has as much storage if not more than the 911 these days so should be very feasible...
Old 11-08-2014 | 09:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

....Other option is to use my guy, get the car in a bit early and have him store it in his underground "bunker" ready for your arrival in Zurich from Auckland, then drive across the famous mountain passes to the SW of Geneva skirting Lyon and onwards to aux Provence etc.
Old 11-09-2014 | 12:11 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

....Other option is to use my guy, get the car in a bit early and have him store it in his underground "bunker" ready for your arrival in Zurich from Auckland, then drive across the famous mountain passes to the SW of Geneva skirting Lyon and onwards to aux Provence etc.
The thought had crossed my mind! I can see a plan forming over the next 12 months... dates flexible but early/mid Sept would work well. So new car delivery, drive awesome roads around Europe, villa in south of France for a couple of weeks, track day at Spa to top it off - what am I missing?
Old 11-09-2014 | 12:45 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

I think and hope I am strong enough to resist the temptation of cup cars but could be tempted by a euro pick up in 2018. Just imagine what delights may be available then? Anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?