Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Honestly, the sellers behaviour spits in the face of the community that has offered advice on him selling the car. Like others, I'm off put by his choice of words, and suspect this will tarnish the auction process. I recognise the retardedness of Trademe, but most of the questions are valid and from people passionate about Porsche (his target market!).

Also think the advice he's had has skewed the auction in the wrong direction. Sure it's "protected" the community from flippers, but it also represents a form of value manipulation from current owners as John suggested, and prevents newbies from getting into their dream car, stifling growth of the community to a certain degree.

I'd put money on this falling through in the end.
He's fine in person. Some of us (not me) have a thick skin and just work with the sale process, knowing that there will be dreamers, muppets etc to deal with before the genuine buyers come through. The others do deals behind the scenes e.g. Sean, who only allowed 3 people to know his car was for sale and seem to be very happy.

Re the auction possibly falling through - thanks for reminding me - I'll send him a text to tell him that my cash bid was only pre auction and no longer stands. I don't want any issues with my reputation if he goes postal.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Perversely, Nigel has spent the last 10 years doing exactly what some of us espouse i.e. just driving the car. The car condition reflects that. I expect it could be a reliable get in and drive car for another 100,000km as is. However, to lift it to the average RSG 964 condition would likely cost more than buyers are factoring in on the Auction. If you really want one, how long are you prepared to wait for the next one? That must factor into buying behaviour as well. We can sit in the sidelines and comment like the crows in Dumbo because we already have skin in the game. I'll tell you it sucks having a scratch that can't itched.
Its simple John. Everything is for sale. All auctions like this reinforce is that if you really want something then pull your (not you personally!) tight assed finger out of your *** and when you see what you like offer the owner a number that really stirs his interest (whether its for sale or not). Kiwis way too tight spend too much effort saving $10k here and there to live with something wasnt their perfect choice or ends up costing $30K to put right.

For example. If someone really loves your car John and knows how much money and time youve spent on it and how well it drives and they are perusing this board and TM looking to get into a really good 964 with everything done will last them 100K km and 10 years with no big bills then why not approach you with a 100K offer to take it off your hands. Best money they will every spend. Just not the Kiwi Psyche. P.S. just an example Johns car is NOT on the market!

As for telling the owner that car was worth $60K in the NZ market can only point again to tight assed kiwi owners trying to protect their own interests. Without a proper description and history of the car (let alone proper detail and interior shots) its impossible to ascertain (even then needs to be seen) if its worth 30K or 60K. The vendor of this car did themselves no favors keeping his blurb so brief with the expectation that "if you know these then you know what you are buying"?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well said Jake. Its so dumb it doesnt have to be like that with a bit more time spent on the advert, approaching a few on this board, being reasonable with responses etc.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
For example. If someone really loves your car John and knows how much money and time youve spent on it and how well it drives and they are perusing this board and TM looking to get into a really good 964 with everything done will last them 100K km and 10 years with no big bills then why not approach you with a 100K offer to take it off your hands. Best money they will every spend. Just not the Kiwi Psyche. P.S. just an example Johns car is NOT on the market!
No, it's not on the market.

BTW: Doug said I should have written a thread on the rebuild. He was surprised when I said there was one. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ht-refurb.html You could view it as a portent of the work required to get a 26 year old car 964 up to scratch or an over the top schedule of work, or a mixture of the two. Whatever the case it's a sobering list.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have the latest word on future track days at HDs? I know this was discussed sometime ago but is there a clearer picture now?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jase. I'm sure Peter will chime in here. Last update from Playday earlier this week is they are still awaiting HD management to come back to them on dates/availability. At least winter fixtures are already bedded down with PCNZ until end of August. That just leaves September and October. RSG has NITT (2 tracks) confirmed for Nov 19-21 with a December HD date tentatively looking like 01 or 02 December...

How are you going sorting out your potential electrical gremlins?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem

I don't get it. Why would someone call the seller of the '64 and talk it up?
Human nature - there where a whole lot of 993 owners (Macca) that talked up the 993 in the TM Q&A at my time of purchase. This gave me Nil negotiation position..........
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Its simple John. Everything is for sale. All auctions like this reinforce is that if you really want something then pull your (not you personally!) tight assed finger out of your *** and when you see what you like offer the owner a number that really stirs his interest (whether its for sale or not). Kiwis way too tight spend too much effort saving $10k here and there to live with something wasnt their perfect choice or ends up costing $30K to put right.

As for telling the owner that car was worth $60K in the NZ market can only point again to tight assed kiwi owners trying to protect their own interests. Without a proper description and history of the car (let alone proper detail and interior shots) its impossible to ascertain (even then needs to be seen) if its worth 30K or 60K. The vendor of this car did themselves no favors keeping his blurb so brief with the expectation that "if you know these then you know what you are buying"?
I'm not enjoying this market. It has locked everything down and people are too scared to move. No way am I letting the SC go any time soon for fear of not getting another. I wish for the market to return to normal where you can buy an old 911 for 30 - 50 - 100k whatever, spend your money and have your fun, then get out of that and into the next whilst neither winning nor losing.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Human nature - there where a whole lot of 993 owners (Macca) that talked up the 993 in the TM Q&A at my time of purchase. This gave me Nil negotiation position..........
I remember that. Not sure if it was Macca.

You learned though. The first we knew of the GT3 'steal' was when it was a done deal. I tried to keep the R purchase quiet as well as I'm not sure how many people read our twaddle. Not talking much about my current target either, although mentioning it at the Super Bowl yesterday probably wasn't smart except its the antithesis of the track toy focus.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I dont recall doing that Paul. I rarely comment anywhere except on here. I do remember commenting somewhere that I thought $65K was a fair price for the car. I still think it was. The fact that two came along 4 months after in the 45-50K bracket was unfortunate but a fluke. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but today's market for your old 993 even without any work done would have supported 65K as fair value back then I should have thought.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

anyone know the wiz on Cayman sump specs? Track mods seem to be on order - so called deep sump but are they baffled etc? and have production cars changed over time? ie did the R have a modded sump?
I presume the gt4 is modded given the track specific nature of the car
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I dont recall doing that Paul. I rarely comment anywhere except on here. I do remember commenting somewhere that I thought $65K was a fair price for the car. I still think it was. The fact that two came along 4 months after in the 45-50K bracket was unfortunate but a fluke. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but today's market for your old 993 even without any work done would have supported 65K as fair value back then I should have thought.
OK - maybe wasn't you (you blame the one's you love the most).........

My point is there was a whole lot of posted opinion on the car's value.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 02-08-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:08 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm not enjoying this market. It has locked everything down and people are too scared to move. No way am I letting the SC go any time soon for fear of not getting another. I wish for the market to return to normal where you can buy an old 911 for 30 - 50 - 100k whatever, spend your money and have your fun, then get out of that and into the next whilst neither winning nor losing.
JMc - I didn't steal the GT3 at the time. It was the market price, then literally about 2 months later they went up. Lucky timing. Craig would say the same about my old C3.

The Alk house market was (still is) like this. People buy first and then sell the existing one for fear of missing a jump.

Cars are a little cheaper though, when you take the cost of money, holding and maintenance costs in, they have to consistently rise at 20% P/A.

I see the UK market to coming off the boil big time, if you read UK blogs classic car dealers will only do consignments or steal it at the moment. You can physically see cars now being advertised for reduced asking prices.

Will be interesting to see how long until it filters through to here.

Aussie is truly bonkers. I wish we could import GT3's over there - all models are close to twice kiwi prices ($200K for 996's and $450K for 7.2 GT3's).

I think Macca's 991 is circa $330K?

Oh and $450K for 996 GT2's??

Last edited by kiwi 911; 02-08-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:52 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
anyone know the wiz on Cayman sump specs? Track mods seem to be on order - so called deep sump but are they baffled etc? and have production cars changed over time? ie did the R have a modded sump?
I presume the gt4 is modded given the track specific nature of the car
think I have answered my own question by reading an earlier thread started by Doug. should have done more research first
Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
think I have answered my own question by reading an earlier thread started by Doug. should have done more research first
If you can handle the capital outlay and potential loss in value, the best platform might be buying Peter's R and starting from there.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?