Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Moving right along and not using the H word, I would say the e46 M3 is becoming a more popular contender with I think 3-4 in this years Targa comp. Kayne Barrie Motorsport in Auckland prepared three of those and are the guys to drop your used import 7K GBP car into from the UK and have stripped, lightened, caged with new suspension and brakes added to make a contender. Its a good choice of platform, parts are plenty and theres lots of experience globally built up around turning these cars competitive on road and track. It would certainly be one of my top choices for a "budget" european assault....
Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Moving right along and not using the H word, I would say the e46 M3 is becoming a more popular contender with I think 3-4 in this years Targa comp. Kayne Barrie Motorsport in Auckland prepared three of those and are the guys to drop your used import 7K GBP car into from the UK and have stripped, lightened, caged with new suspension and brakes added to make a contender. Its a good choice of platform, parts are plenty and theres lots of experience globally built up around turning these cars competitive on road and track. It would certainly be one of my top choices for a "budget" european assault....
About $40k ready to race, including base car?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually probably 60K I should say for a competitive conversion. Moton style suspension alone will come in 15K fitted and geo'd with replacement wishbone bushes and some turn buckles. 8-10K for a Race Brakes USA 6 pot system, fluid & pads. 5K for lightweight wheels and rubber. 10K for cage and general interior strip out with a Halo drivers seat (Recaro) and a SPR passenger seat, runners, extinguisher system and a strut brace. There's probably 200kg savings all round. 20K landed/complied/taxed for the donor and a few grand for transmission and engine work. LVVC cert, decals, monit and track it etc = 3K. Its all about suspension, weight and brakes (+ reliability) as Graeme says. The end result would be road legal for all Targa and Hillclimb events and would be an effective track tool with the geo and suspension dialled in to (expect 1.17 or better at HD).
Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

All that sounds so familiar and in the end you basically have the same engine you started with. Not hard to see why the 2kcup is running at 150 entrants. It's problem now is that it's too successful. Expect to see some severe scrutineering to out the rule benders. Won't be us as I'm being careful about everything on the cars.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes. Ive assumed no engine modifications (bar perhaps a chip/flash and filter which would be fairly cheap). If you had another 6-8K to throw at it you could do sport cats with headers and back boxes - but even with remap youd be looking less than 25bhp increase on an engine making well into 300 in stock trim so as an atmo engine its probably diminishing returns. Matty G knows more about this stuff than me Ive never owned e46 M3. I do like them tho.

Targa full competition (5-6 days like SI) is a while different ball park than 2K Cup. This is one of the toughest targa events on the planet today perhaps the toughest and one day people will reminisce about it. Its a great achievement just to finish (has a fairly high attrition rate although the SI event was better than most years from my observation).

The 2K cup is aimed at budget racers (although by now Im sure you must have spent close to 20K already with the two cars and Im sure by teh end fo a full season that may look like 25+). Its horses for course but given the low entry bar expect high volume and questionable wuality form some quarters.

If you really want to learn how to drive quickly with etiquette in a structured event run to international madate which would serve as a back bone of your racing carrer all teh way through the 'Ring 24hrs then you cant get better than GT86 series IMO. This is now an international thing and attracts the young ex cart guys and girls for next step up into international touring car etc so is a field or really talented young folk learning their craft and the discipline of racing with a support team. The cars arent overly powerful so require finesse and technique and the big boys are watching this series as a proving ground so it gets good attention. I have a mate similar to my age participating this year in Dubai (first time ever racing a car) and its really fascinating how ell set up it is with full telemetric downloads and analysis by a team afterwards etc. Im not sure about in NZ but for the outlay IMO its the bets bang for buck right now in NZ racing if you really want to learn racecraft for future offshore events. For us old farts its maybe more than we need but youd come out a far better and more professional driver and the costs are not unrealistic at all.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, just over $20k spent for the two cars so far.

A base car for less than $2,000 is the ticket to enter, then comes the real expense. A lot is detailed on the RSG site. Needless to say I have done a lot of trips to cage fabricators, wreckers, trademe sellers, tyre shops etc to get where we are now.

When we roll out to the grid on 14/12 we will have some competitive machinery, having stumped up for class leading brakes, tyres etc. Thankfully we started with a competitive base car as many of our costs would have been spent no matter what the car type.

It's been an eye opener so far and no doubt will continue to be as the class becomes fraught with divisions. We need to keep a low profile as it's clear we are better funded than most.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

only thing to add is a baffled sump assuming not dry sump
Old 11-03-2014, 06:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
only thing to add is a baffled sump assuming not dry sump
Only stumped up for one baffle so far, it's on the Grinch. I hope we don't find out the hard way we should have put in on both cars.

It's a crappy job doing that so I would bow out and have a mechanic fit it.

My favourite work so far is suspension and brakes, as I don't have to get under the car or get big mitts in engine bay places they weren't meant to go.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

While the words "budget" & "motorsport" are an oxymoron - the other potential event which sometimes punctuates my day dreams is getting three guys together to chip into a "budget" Nurburgring ADAC 24 hour entry.

The choice of chariot would again depend on something which requires limited power increase but just handling, brakes, lightening & strengthening work.

There was a team which campaigned a 500 SEC, replete with full interior & CD player, in the Nurburg 24 Hr & the Britcar 24hr. They ran for a number of years but I don't think they still complete.

I think there's been the odd 928 VLN entry. I believe there was a 928S4 (Cheburator) running GTS running gear, ITBs, worked cams, heads, 968 valves, dry sump etc delivering around 500 bhp out of the 5.4.

Tim
Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this 2k Cup stuff sounds interesting, I'd love to see what work has been so far, what is required to get access to the RSG site?

I have just got back from a massive 3 month USA and Europe trip with my wife as baby-moon with a few car related events thrown in (including a trip to the Porsche museum) so there will be some photos coming up when I have edited them all, was an epic trip though.

Just been catching up on everything here, quite jealous of all the track and targa talk!

I have just gone and had a look at this GT3 at Continental with the plate GEEET3, does anyone know anything about this car? Apparently it has been in a light frontal accident in the past and these things always worry me.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=794803009
Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Brian, some of it is documented on the Facebook group for Rennsport Gruppe. Just request access there. The other site is a web based forum limited to RSG members.

Long story short is that we have a group of seven who stumped up $3,000 each. We've bought two NZ new VTI-R (DC2 B18C motors), and have turned one into a half cage road legal racer and the other into a full cage track oriented racer. We've run both in an informal 2k cup event and will go the full Monty on 14/12 at HD. The learning curve has been steep. You don't buy a sorted DC2 for under $2,000.....
Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sorry, too many names. So you are Stuart?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, yes I am. Probably should just use my name as a login here but that is very unusual on the internet for me!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If you really want to learn how to drive quickly with etiquette in a structured event run to international madate which would serve as a back bone of your racing carrer all teh way through the 'Ring 24hrs then you cant get better than GT86 series IMO ...I have a mate similar to my age participating this year in Dubai (first time ever racing a car) and its really fascinating how ell set up it is with full telemetric downloads and analysis by a team afterwards etc.
Careful mentioning things like 'full telemetric downloads' or you'll have John calling round the suppliers!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Your advice to go B18C was the right one. What we didn't figure on was the cost of getting a car race ready.

Some competitors go out in the car as bought. Nothing but a lap belt to protect themselves and running with crap tyres, pads etc. That's not us. All going as planned I hope to see one of the cars, likely the full caged car to take a podium at some stage soon. Perversely, my buzz is more in prep than driving 10/10ths, but I hope to get enough seat time to run competitively in the fast group.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?