Ha, sell your kids!
Too cute to sell mate..........
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2015, 03:28 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, agree soooo cute. Where did those good looks come from :-P

(My comment came from John's mag cover subtitle on the GT4)

David, enjoyed those videos. Pretty amazing footwork in the rally car with all that LF braking.

I've been practicing LF braking for a long time now thanks to Graeme's encouragement but on rare occasions the brain gets lost and I go to change gear and use the brake instead of the clutch which gives you a hell of a fright and ain't pretty. Lots of practice on spirited B road drives 1/3rd into the corner to get weight on the front for turn in. I'd actually like to get some assessment and more learning about this technique.

Anyone else comment about LFB and how they use it?
Old 06-05-2015, 04:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

On Gran Turismo with the G27 pedal set I LFB with ease, using the inside of my right foot as a guide to make sure I am hitting the brake.

In the real world I find it's a lot more difficult, even on the R, which only has two pedals. I just can't seem to modulate the braking force, it's all or nothing. I think it will take a long time to get this right.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
OMG, agree soooo cute. Where did those good looks come from :-P (My comment came from John's mag cover subtitle on the GT4) David, enjoyed those videos. Pretty amazing footwork in the rally car with all that LF braking. I've been practicing LF braking for a long time now thanks to Graeme's encouragement but on rare occasions the brain gets lost and I go to change gear and use the brake instead of the clutch which gives you a hell of a fright and ain't pretty. Lots of practice on spirited B road drives 1/3rd into the corner to get weight on the front for turn in. I'd actually like to get some assessment and more learning about this technique. Anyone else comment about LFB and how they use it?
I've only been using it in a two pedal car. On the road I used to use it a bit but have got lazy and don't bother much these days. On the track I tried it a few times but decided coming into turn 1 at 230 kph want the ideal moment I be guessing my pedal pressures. I don't think it will make a lot of difference in general road driving but on the tight and twisty stuff when pushing on could be useful of au sting the attitude of the car. They say it's a skill best learnt early such as in karting and that due to lack of muscle memory some people do not pick it up later in life. You need to get years of modulation feel (right foot) into left foot very quickly so when you jump in the car and use the technique there's little re calibration time...
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Misty Auckland morning and a lack of nice photos of Lola since her rebuild had me out earlyish into Cornwall Park with my camera.
Attached Images     
Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Too cute to sell mate..........
I didnt really say that!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug that last picture has me thinking "Day of the Zombies" :-)
Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

A good battle

Old 06-06-2015, 02:21 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

I spent a ton of time playing Gran Turismo on PS2 in my youth, and always braked with my left foot, which meant it felt normal carrying over to driving a two pedal car. I would have to force myself to use my right these days. Don't let me behind the wheel of your three pedal cars!!

Nice photos Doug. Dawn of the Dead indeed!

My eBay front lip came to an untimely end thanks to me overcooking my garage entrance. Luckily I bought two. Not looking forward to sanding the second one...
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2015, 04:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I spent a ton of time playing Gran Turismo on PS2 in my youth, and always braked with my left foot, which meant it felt normal carrying over to driving a two pedal car. I would have to force myself to use my right these days. Don't let me behind the wheel of your three pedal cars!! Nice photos Doug. Dawn of the Dead indeed! My eBay front lip came to an untimely end thanks to me overcooking my garage entrance. Luckily I bought two. Not looking forward to sanding the second one...
A lot of young fellas in Karting I've spoken to feel the same way. In a decades time karting champs will go straight from 2 pedal carts to flappy paddle race cars and may never actually have any seat time in a manual. Training the left foot early definitely helps a career racer these days.

Sorry about your lip. I had a new one fitted as a birthday for the Gt3 before I left and straight after a detail then promptly scraped it underneath going up the driveway (happens 9 out of 10 times). I now have the old one to play with and have some plastic dip so will experiment with cosmetically sprucing it up next time I'm back. They are $160 USD in the states but over $400 pacific Swiss francs in gods own!!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:11 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OMG, agree soooo cute. Where did those good looks come from :-P

David, enjoyed those videos. Pretty amazing footwork in the rally car with all that LF braking.

I've been practicing LF braking for a long time now thanks to Graeme's encouragement but on rare occasions the brain gets lost and I go to change gear and use the brake instead of the clutch which gives you a hell of a fright and ain't pretty. Lots of practice on spirited B road drives 1/3rd into the corner to get weight on the front for turn in. I'd actually like to get some assessment and more learning about this technique.

Definitely need to keep practicing and obviously 3 pedals is different to 2 pedals. Helps to keep in the habit by using it in everyday driving. But for all you guys with cars of every type - manual, auto, pdk - it doesn't help. it helps with modulation if you always make the first application with LF no matter what you do after that. In the Fraser the pedals are too small and close together so there is no room to have both on brake in a switch move and release the LF for clutch like I would in the rally car. So sometimes on track I will brake first with LF but just for a moment and not really hard because the release will upset the balance - then bring the RF over and brake hard like normal. The RF action is at normal speed from gas to brake so the benefit is small but twofold.
1) If you don't lift gas until LF brake is on there is less time loss.
2) the hydraulics get primed and the pads/rotors heated just before the harder braking.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:49 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Left foot braking (with heel and toe)

They're just suggesting you sell the kids if getting a Cayman because you're two seats down on a 911.

For track, and to a lesser degree tarmac roads, there are lots of other areas that will take more off your lap/stage times (some V8 supercar and nascar drivers don't left foot brake and they're still pretty fast). That said, it may only contribute less than a second a lap but I find it addictive as it gives you more instantaneous control and adjustability as well as keeping the car better balanced during transitions as you can slightly overlap your inputs (stability control allowing - some newish cars are awful). It helps cut reaction times and is most useful when you want the quickest control cycle time you can get for situations requiring a lot of driver inputs in a short time. I couldn't really now imagine having to do fast slaloms or gymkhanas without using it for instance.

Now I probably learned it the easy way initially as it was in a two pedal automatic 928. DSGs, PDKs, robotised manuals etc should be just as easy to learn on too these days. Even in the 928 I wasn't trying to do it at 9 or 10 tenths for the first week or so.

Last year though I learned to combine it with heel and toeing a manual in our Black Beauty Integra. Got it down reasonably now but like most things there's still plenty of room to get smoother and faster. Turn 1 at Hampton is probably the trickiest because the stakes are highest there but I've taken it at least 100 times now fully LFBing BB/BB2/The Grinch without incident.

It's a lot easier to LFB only after changing down of course but for many corners - especially the ones off the main straights - I LFB on the straight, transition to the right foot while looking to maintain the same rate of pressure change on the brake pedal, then heel and toe the down change while declutching with the freed up left, then swap the left foot back onto the brake pedal again, with the right going back over to the accelerator ready to roll on power for exit, beginning a moment before the left foot finishes releasing the brake.

I don't have a shot of it from Hampton Downs but here's one from the wet round at Taupo to illustrate. As said, I'm still working on making it smoother.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sxa35_full-left-foot-braking-with-heel-and-toe-example-short-clip-from-wet-2kcup-race-in-taupo-april-2015_auto
Old 06-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Although I am not tracking my car, I have been LFB for years now. I even drive our Subaru and Honda LFB. I do admit when I drive a manual car I have been caught out, and it is not pretty! (Be careful riding my bikes, the levers are european setup).

The 993 Tip with timing you can blip the throttle, left foot brake, and match the gear change (manual mode). Guess the 991 takes care of that for you.

S
Old 06-06-2015, 04:52 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Great to hear about everyones experiences with LFB. Graeme learned from his karting but I've found driving manuals all the time and making heel and toe normal driving practice makes perfect for that but I've only been LFB when on spirited drives and a little on track.

One of the reasons I LFB in my manuals on fast b roads is to corner safer and quicker. With power on in the corner if the front is going a little wide a short light tap on the brakes with the LF puts a little more weight forward and the front turns in but you haven't upset the balance by releasing power. Its especially useful if you find yourself in a tightening corner you hadn't anticipated.

I haven't had the guts to use it as my main braking method on T1 at HD though. Thats possibly for the future.

Impressed talking with Chris M last night about all the work he's been doing on his C4S. I wish I was as cleaver.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:59 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Interesting that the traditional RL app works on this ipad mini but not my main ipad or iphone. The IB app works on my main ipad but not my iphone.

The photos are on my iphone but cant be posted from there using the smartphone version of the site because it doesnt have the feature, except through the main (non smartphone) website which is soooo painful on a smartphone.

What a fricking mess for a paid service.

Anyone got any solutions to being effective with posting photos while out and about from an iphone to RL without using the main website? 2016 and a year+ of these issues, this is bloody stupid IMO. If the community wasn't here Id have walked long ago.

End of rant

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?