Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014 | 09:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

One of my favourite 993 Exclusive cars is Pastel 12M. Ill did up a picture. I was a 993 in that colour from Asia (import) in Auckland in 2002 and I found I liked it. My wife didnt. But she didnt like the speed yellow 996 GT3 we had either. Tania a pilot I know has a Fly yellow 993 C4S. I actually prefer the speed yellow the fly yellow is too bright IMO. I really dont like the new Racing Yellow on the 991 series, too bannna yellow with too much white in it for my liking (and reflected by the low uptake in the 991 GT3).

Im not very good with the car stats thing. Three or four other 991 GT3 owners have posted their slips from the drags over on the 991 GT3 board. 1/4 mile. They seem to come in around 11.25ish in stock trim. Sabine did a 11.23 on her video in the RSR Nurburgring car. I have no idea about the in gears but suspect the lack or torque precludes it being any faster than a stock 997TT. The published 0-100 is 3.5s and with launch control seems replicable from what Ive been told. Ive never used launch control but have used the dual paddle clutch dump a few times. That is alot of fun! The factory say the 0-200 is 11.4s but i have no idea if that is real. Ive only done one session with it at HD. It was a cold day and the car had a full tank and tyres at road pressures. Vbox showed 4-5 laps in the 1.14s with 1.4.01 best but it my first time on the track with the car and my second time at HD so I was treating a bit cautious can carrying some poor lines. Id expect mid to low 1.12s if given to someone who is a better and experienced track driver like Paul, Steve, Chris B or Matt G. I think Richard Snow gets low 1.13s from his. With some better geo and tyres it will be faster.

On a purely subjective level a thoughtfully modified 996/997TT driven hard will get down to 997 GT3 times on the track. Chris B proved this at the Sprints. Over the course of a hard track season it will unlikely be as reliable and will cost more to keep running. But a used 997 GT3 is mid 100s and a well modded and track prepared NZ new 996 TT probably late 80K so bang for buck its certainly on top.

With tipo, the weight and 4WD chassis to loose a little of the purity some would argue. Some of the throttle response finesse and the sound is lost with the turbo too they would say. On the track I would agree but on the road I think the 4WD and turbo are an advantage.

Then you get guys like Paul M putting in 1.16.2 in a virtually stock 280 bhp 993 with some suspension mods or Steve doing a 1.15 in his new RSR recreation (300 bhp?) and you start to realise the biggest performance gains are time at the track followed by good suspension and brakes. Weight is a factor too. HD is a halfway house track IMO. Its a nice mix of the slower tighter shorter and older tracks such as Manfield, Teretonga, Ruapuna and Levels with a dash of modern faster tracks (that favour higher HP cars) such as Taupo and Highlands and new Puke thrown in.

Walt. Join us for NI Targa in May! 16-18 put it in your calender!

Here is that 993 from a collection. As it left the factory with tartan seat inserts and desert sand coloured hood. Its a pretty thing I reckon. Nice to see when someone does something different (Im not a fan of polished wheels tho).
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2014 | 09:53 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nzskater
The value proposition of the 996/7 TT's is high. I've put 21,000km on mine and loved every minute of it.

Have been occasionally tempted to put on a tune and exhaust, but in all honesty it's got more power than I can handle already. Rather spend money on unpaid leave so I can drive it more!

Where did you find yourself measuring those stats Walt? Have you been sneaking down to Meremere to play with the fast fours and rotaries on Friday nights?
Not yet - though I had arranged to run there after my last HD sprints while the Nittos were fitted (before she booked herself a flatbed for the pipe pinning instead). ChrisM is keen to come down with me one night though so it'll happen. Would be fun to have you there too.

Best to assume these runs were done on a private runway then, though it would be easy to overshoot a bit with a 0-100 test on an empty stretch of tarmac and accidentally pick up more data than expected. Best quarter of 3 runs on a pretty rough surface with 300 treadwear tyres was actually a 12.01, so would see high 11s on anything decent. Should've at least warmed the tyres first - too much wheelspin at the changes.

Will likely do another 100K pull or two soon to confirm that my recent boost leak has been properly exorcised.

Mark, your GT3 will easily own mine (and pretty much everyone else's) on track or through dryish twisties. Awesome car and a real looker to boot. Only the most developed modified 996Ts (think Maya the Bee, with 997 bodykit and a 7.15.63 'ring time) can trouble a 991 GT3 in its native domain.

Last edited by 996tnz; 11-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2014 | 10:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Walt. You are probably right. Regardless of what the car is capable of the driver is definitely the weakest link at this point in time. I think my 993 is a far better measure of my driving prowess than my GT3 which I really havent yet managed to get the best from on track yet (I hope that changes!).

The thing that drove home the value proposition, and thus also the benefits in an indirect way of the PDK 991 GT3, was getting a lift with Chris B in his 996TT in CHCH after our final SITT track day at Ruapuna. I cant remember where we were heading but out to dinner on broken CHCH streets. Here was a car that a few hours prior was the quickest car on our Tour, just holding off Steve R (in his 997 3.8 Carrera whilst being flung around teh track. Sure theres some hard development miles and plenty of "prototyping" money in Chris Bs 996TT (I think it runs maybe 480 bhp, was on R comps and has 997TT brakes etc but still absolutely stock with couch chairs etc). But after hammering the track and swapping to road wheels/tyres there were were soaking up the potholed streets in civilised comfort.

Pretty good result I have to say.
Old 11-01-2014 | 11:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - do you have interior shots of that 993 with the factory tartan??
Old 11-02-2014 | 12:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I'm toying with the idea of tartan or houndstooth?
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2014 | 12:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul. I do but in a book back home. It was documented briefly in a book along with the the 964 Americana car built for Rob Linton but cant recall the title of the publication. Ill dig the book out when Im home. It has full wood interior. Not a big fan of would but with the unique leather, hood, exterior colour and factory tartan really does work together well. The exterior infact isnt pastel but very similar I think its paint to sample the words "champagne" and "desert sand" come to mind from the article on the car. It was one of the more expensive exclusive cars made. The 993 era was by far the height of exclusive modified production cars....some not so tasteful!

Mate I thought you were minting it up and returning it to factory standard?
Old 11-02-2014 | 12:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate I thought you were minting it up and returning it to factory standard?
Yarn.............

Next you will have me reinstating the tractor ride height.

Like your car, any mod's will be bolt on.
Old 11-02-2014 | 12:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually Im quite liking that look. Over the years theres been a few nicely executed examples on the 993/964 boards.

You could use Miller Tartan to reflect your Scottage heritage?
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2014 | 12:59 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Not yet - though I had arranged to run there after my last HD sprints while the Nittos were fitted (before she booked herself a flatbed for the pipe pinning instead). ChrisM is keen to come down with me one night though so it'll happen. Would be fun to have you there too.
Let me know when you plan on heading down.

Hi Walt. You are probably right. Regardless of what the car is capable of the driver is definitely the weakest link at this point in time.
Definitely the case with me. Hopefully can start to resolve the issue this summer. Currently trying to organize some form of formal training to get cover for the Jan 13th day at HD. May end up doing the Mike Eady course as a last resort (no CCS training or another PCNZ day this year). Looking into a Downforce day but may not be able to get track/group together at this point in time.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'm toying with the idea of tartan or houndstooth?
Tartan is harder to get right but looks great when done well.

Actually Im quite liking that look. Over the years theres been a few nicely executed examples on the 993/964 boards. You could use Miller Tartan to reflect your Scottage heritage?
No need to share your desktop wallpapers with us Macca...
Old 11-02-2014 | 01:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Fair call. To be honest Im still quietly cherishing that man hug Paul offered me earlier in the week....

Jake, will Prestigio cover you if we send you out first up with Stuart Owers on the 13th? Granted you may technically not be covered for the first session, however its highly unlikely you will come to grief taking it easy with Stuart in the car....
Old 11-02-2014 | 01:16 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Their current position is no cover unless I complete a full day, structured, driver training event. Maybe a bear hug will change their mind.

Going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can't talk them into it. Currently going through my broker, think I may be able to talk to it a bit better if I do so directly.

In the end if I have to do a full day beforehand so be it. It can't hurt to get more experience, albeit behind the wheel of a BMW.
Old 11-02-2014 | 01:51 AM
shiraz
Racer

The Tart(an) cowboy looks like a male lesbot! what would you call such a creature? - gaybot, kissenbeisserbot (pillowbiterbot in Ger)??? rentboybot?...

On the yellow theme, I once saw a yellow 993 in P.zentrum in Cologne with soft pale green interior. Really like the combination
Old 11-02-2014 | 01:27 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Must admit my interest is picqued. Need to talk to Doug to see what the real world experience is like. There were some fairly old cars on this tour. I could see Herman handling that pace easily.
I have to admit so is mine, John. After watching the targa vids and reading about Dougs experience and i'd be curious to know the ball park costs for the week, car prep and licensing aside. I've driven a lot of those SI roads but only from one side of the road. It would be nice to see the view form the other
Old 11-02-2014 | 01:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

SI Targa around 10K. The entry fee alone was over 4K. Fuel, accommodation and food for two, getting the car down and back, ferry crossing. My view is you would spend an additional 4-5K on a fresh set of tyres (assuming you need them), pads, fluids and big service before the event and some tidy up work to the car and paint after the event. You will need to buy or hire a Monit and Trackit. So 12-15K dependent if you needed tyres or not.

The new format means the May Targa is now a 3 day event rather than the older format 5 day event. This is a lot more manageable financially. Expect 2600 entry fee then 4 nights accommodation, food, less for fuel and not as hard on the car in an endurance sense. My budget for this is $5500 excluding car prep (luckily nothing really needed this time around) and tyres (already have a set of near new SuperSports to be fitted prior to the event). For an older car it would be similar to preparing for a NITT.
Old 11-02-2014 | 02:10 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

well the update from my end was that after we had the minor incident and lost a stage with time penalties we had lost our day one class lead - we got back second quite quickly but chasing first was another matter. We were gradually closing over the next 3 days but there was a fine edge between pushing too hard and still gaining time. Our plan was to drive at a good pace but not taking too many risks (still braking over blind crests) and see where we were on the last day to see if a more attacking style was worth it. And the stages on day 5 were quite difficult and rewarded good and hard driving. Crown range twice and Glenorchy. We took back over 1 minute and were then facing the last stage and there were conflicting reports as to what the exact time situation was. Unfortunately the stage got cancelled as 2 competitors went off and we were on scene as one of the first cars. we had to drive to the comms point and then the end to tell crew to stop the stage. The second car off was at the same corner as the first car and hit the first car. The car off was our competitor dueling for class honours. So we got the class win but in sorry circumstances. All were ok but 2 drivers were taken to hospital for observation but are ok

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?