Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:21 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pending 996 Turbo bargain

Originally Posted by John McM
Still sub $50k but I'm not in a hurry so silly offers won't get the time of day. It could be the longest car on Trademe.
More like the Turbo bargain of all time. Yours is barely run in. T2 recently did a discretionary rebuild of his 996 Turbo engine at 600,000 kms (was seeping a bit of oil), and reckoned he should probably have only replaced the seals as she was almost as good as new inside. That's with regular track days too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...lievers-6.html

Have your coolant fittings been attended to? That would be the only thing I'd think it would still pay a purchaser to get done otherwise.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

In relative terms it is a bargain when you consider it's a Mezger engine and 996s are going in the mid to high 30s. The engine is fine, although I've never had it compression tested etc.

One coolant fitting has been done. I have no appetite to do the others as a preventative measure. Fingers crossed it's ok if I don't track it.

It's hard to define where the market is for a car with 167,000 km. I suppose the only way is to test it.

I'm not a good seller so don't hold your breath. I will price it for what I think it's worth i.e. low ballers looking to knock a big chunk off won't get a look in, neither will concours buyers (I can never understand why someone with particular demands will look at cars or even property when it clearly isn't what they want). If you want concours then but a concours car!
Old 10-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fell in love with black 964s again . Great photo.
Well done Chris . Mylaps gives a good indication of the races and you must have been watching your rear view mirrors for most of the laps. Waiting . Handicap races seem the most exciting. Kevin obviously had problems with his 996 cup and Pete, hope the car is OK. Can't wait to join in. Enjoying the pacific islands and getting some sun sleep and relaxation. I think I deserve it.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:40 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Inspirational indeed! I'm determined to put as many KM as I can on the 997. How often are you guys changing oil/filter, and are you running M1?

Originally Posted by 996tnz
More like the Turbo bargain of all time. Yours is barely run in. T2 recently did a discretionary rebuild of his 996 Turbo engine at 600,000 kms (was seeping a bit of oil), and reckoned he should probably have only replaced the seals as she was almost as good as new inside. That's with regular track days too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...lievers-6.html

Have your coolant fittings been attended to? That would be the only thing I'd think it would still pay a purchaser to get done otherwise.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Inspirational indeed! I'm determined to put as many KM as I can on the 997. How often are you guys changing oil/filter, and are you running M1?
Had mine serviced when I bought it. Now it's run for 19,000 km and 2 yrs without a change I'd say it's due now. Don't forget the oil capacity of a 911 is huge compared to other cars so not as bad as you might think. Btw I have put 1 litre of additional oil in there since the service. It's not an oil burner or leaker.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil changed 4 times in about 40,000 kms to date, so about every 10,000 km. I now use Fuchs Titan Supersyn (5W-40 I believe) from BNT, as approved by Porsche for the 996T and looks to have better tech specs than M1. I would only use oils from the approved list since hot turbos really put it to the test, though there is also a Turbo Diesel Truck oil that some swear by as it has extra wear fighting molybdenum (and is obviously designed to handle turbos).
Old 10-27-2014, 09:04 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Pete, looking forward to the full download of your first Porsche Series racing weekend mate
Pete apparently is feeling his age, or at least the impact of boot camp....
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
He needs to start lifting weights

or change beer drinking arms...............
Lol Paul/John - the jungle drums have been beating then?!!

Weekend was completely awesome all round. What a great bunch of guys to be around - very generous with their time and advice. Really appreciate Chris getting me into it and Phil Jones who is a complete 'rock' for the series. Too many other guys to mention - but I know the series is going to be a hell of a fun ride. Any of you guys still on the fence - get down off it (Matt G, Paul?) Neil - you will have a great time (just a hint though - maybe consider getting ABS retrofitted!!!)

Weekend started off in a rush on Friday - car off trailer, and straight out for the last practice session of the day - 10 minutes of ugly! Good to see the track again but not enough time to get the feel back.

Sat morning was quali - managed a 1.48 and starting to figure out where to pick up time. Was about 2 seconds off the 944 pace. Race 1 on the afternoon was normal grid - first real experience - lights go out and its 4000+ revs, dump the clutch and 16 cars screaming into T1. I dropped in at the back and tried to follow the train around. Improved to a 1.47 and still plenty to work on. First race was an absolute rush - didn't finish last if you count wounded cars!

Sunday morning was freezing - but all amped for Race 2 - reverse grid with handicap based on time. Chris B, Rob Dong and I off the front with a 10 second gap to the other 944s. Chris got away and I spent the next 8 laps (unsuccessfully) trying to find a way around Rob Dongs 'extra wide' 944 Turbo. Was all over it's tail around the infield but on boost he took off down the straights - groundhog days for 8 laps! Ran 6 of those laps with no ABS and locking up all over the place (note to self for next time out - remember there IS a reset switch...). Car was going great and probably 2-3 seconds quicker than the car in front but this is racing and I need to learn to pass...

Was a blast with 2 laps to go when the 'train' of GT3s caught up their handicap and all passed within a lap. Good experience holding lines but still making it safe.

Unfortunately missed the last race due to tearing a bicep muscle.... (thanks for mentioning it John/Paul...) Bit embarrassing but wrenched it while trying to retrieve a lock-up 'moment' and shift 3rd to 2nd at the time. Was b****y sore so took some drugs and decided not to risk being a danger to the other drivers. As it was got to watch Chris B scream off the line in the final race and make up for his disappointment not being able to run on Sat.

Overall it was a complete blast. Lots of learning to do - realise now how different it is from the Enduros - though they were a great intro. Could do with losing another 100-150kg from the car and will then be right in the 944 mix. Can't wait for T1 at Puke in early Dec!! http://www.thunderinthepark.com/

Neil - we need to get out there (Puke) on one of the test days. Had been thinking about the 14th but may need to make it the Friday pre-race instead (5 Dec)
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Haha. Nothing stays secret for long. Chris pointed out that there are a couple of classes we can run the Integras in, other than 2k cup. You may yet see the RSG race group bomb one of your events, even the 7th.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Pete, I'd be surprised you considered going back out. Tearing limb muscle is painful. My trip to Colorado resulted in a 'Bingo Wing' thanks to a torn Tricep. Not comfortable at all!!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete, I'd be surprised you considered going back out. Tearing limb muscle is painful.
A couple of prescription voltaren worked wonders - but took about an hour to kick in properly - pretty nauseous til then. Still tender though but not as bad as it seemed at the time.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Pete, I'd be surprised you considered going back out. Tearing limb muscle is painful. My trip to Colorado resulted in a 'Bingo Wing' thanks to a torn Tricep. Not comfortable at all!!
I thought a bingo wing was a middle aged female teachers upper arm swaying from side to side when rubbing out writing on the board.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Haha. Nothing stays secret for long. Chris pointed out that there are a couple of classes we can run the Integras in, other than 2k cup. You may yet see the RSG race group bomb one of your events, even the 7th.
Really? Imagine you could fit into SS2000 but they ranged 1.35-1.50 at Taupo so still pretty quick. Modding the cars to that standard would take them well out of 2kCup. Might be a better choice though if you are wanting to 'compete' given 2kCup is more like Playday but with passing on corners allowed.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought a bingo wing was a middle aged female teachers upper arm swaying from side to side when rubbing out writing on the board.
Ahem... "bat wing" please....
Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Ahem... "bat wing" please....
Wikipedia knows all: bat wing, bingo wing, auntie arms, nanna wobble.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Really? Imagine you could fit into SS2000 but they ranged 1.35-1.50 at Taupo so still pretty quick. Modding the cars to that standard would take them well out of 2kCup. Might be a better choice though if you are wanting to 'compete' given 2kCup is more like Playday but with passing on corners allowed.
Chris thought we might be good for production class or classic Japanese series.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?