Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:16 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Id rather be holding a 993RS I paid 400K for that is now worth 200K than a pile of paper investments once worth 200K now worth nothing - at least you can drive an enjoy the car (probably more so now as its has less value!).
Also the reason why 90% of kiwi's choose property is their investment vessel "tangible assets" if it goes pear shaped the can still go stand on their dirt.

What cars are worth wouldn't affect how/if I drove them, it would affect how I treated them though.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day 4 of the Targa Tour was brilliant. We started out with a 6:45am briefing in Invercargill then headed north for the first stage at East Gore. Next Inland into South Otago to repeat one of yesterday's stages in reverse. Overall we completed 6 special stages culminating in 4 laps of the amazing Highlands circuit in Cromwell. We're all staying in Queenstown for the next 2 nights. Tomorrow is the last day where we get to do the Crown Range through to Cardrona followed by a repeat of Highlands finishing with special stages to Glenorchy and back again. Unfortunately the only photos I have to share are when we're assembled, ie not in a stage. That's because its full on concentration on navigating and enjoying the ride. Overall the Tour has got better and better each day as we settle into it, the authorities get confident we're not going to mess up and we all get to know each other better and have a few laughs.

Getting weary but not knackered yet Macca. Keen to hear how Graeme got on.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2014, 06:15 AM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^^^ Ha, turn your computer on its side folks and blame Apple
Old 10-31-2014, 06:15 AM
O2GO
Drifting

PS more photos on Facebook
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great stuff Doug. Ive been regularly refreshing your facebook page. Driving certainly takes it out of you. I remember by day 5 I was very glad to get to the last stage (980km closed stages takes its toll). Im sure you will all sleep well tomorrow night. Keep it on the black for the last day and bring it home!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

we had some good stages today whilst battling a very soft brake pedal which is not good for the commitment into corners. Been too busy to look closely to look at results but we second in class. After the lost time on day 2, we have been driving our own pace and see where that gets us on the last day, and if that's close enough we may push more but that's a wait and see.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Great to see the Targa guys still running well. Good luck for the remainder. Thanks for all the photos Doug.

Re: Total911 discussion
One thing to be conscious of is the fact that they're most likely fishing to increase their readership. Their focus will be on the more accessible 911's in the current market as that represents a large portion of new enthusiasts. What better way to attract new readers than to stroke their ego by supporting their decision on their most recent purchase!

Aesthetically I prefer the 993. Can't pass judgement on its performance having only driven a 993, once for a very short run. Either way a wide body will always catch my eye over its narrower sibling, although I'm slightly biased...
Old 10-31-2014, 02:01 PM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^* Makes sense. Porsche improve the 911 on every model so a later model is ALWAYS better than a previous model in terms of performance and handling. That leaves subjective fashion/asthetics and soul to argue over.

So this logic says the 996 is better than the 993 which is better than the 964 which is better than ....

Oh yeah, and the best air cooled 911 is the one you own, drive the pants off and love. :-P
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Let's face it, we're all biased as we exchanged hard earned cash for a piece of machinery that we wanted, not needed. There are people out there equally passionate about other marques e.g. Jaguar, Citroen, Peugeot, BMW, and yes, even Honda.

I have to connect emotionally with an asset to be bothered with continual expense, which is probably why I whinge occasionally about the 996TT build quality and reliability. I see it as a machine more than an object of desire. That said, on a grotty day it's my first choice. Horses for courses.

The 964 engages me at a different level, especially when altered to my taste. Baring lifestyle changes I'll have mine for a long while yet. No magazine article, positive or negative, will make any difference to my enjoyment of ownership. However, I do like it when the public mis-truths are dispelled, and there have been plenty trotted out by the media over the years that needed to be rebalanced.

Herman is 24 years old and in the last year has run 15,000km over the length of the country and countless track events without a single issue. Why? Because I dumped a wad of cash fixing up deferred maintenance. The core car is high quality and the copy and pasted dribble over the years is finally fading to allow that message to come to the fore.

Doug is right. Objectively each model has performed better than the previous one. I just don't think we're objectively driven (pun intended). Long live the differences in the way we approach things and try to remember that we share the petrol head passion above all. That 15 people could share an ownership of a car boggles the mind. It only works because we are more similar than we think.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:55 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Crown range. Closed road. Lets boogie :-P
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2014, 04:18 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the views on tyres earlier in the week. Nobody commented on 89y or 92y option for the 225s. Do you go stronger or lighter or it doesn't make any difference so go cheaper?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Let's face it, we're all biased as we exchanged hard earned cash for a piece of machinery that we wanted, not needed. There are people out there equally passionate about other marques e.g. Jaguar, Citroen, Peugeot, BMW, and yes, even Honda.

I have to connect emotionally with an asset to be bothered with continual expense, which is probably why I whinge occasionally about the 996TT build quality and reliability. I see it as a machine more than an object of desire. That said, on a grotty day it's my first choice. Horses for courses.

The 964 engages me at a different level, especially when altered to my taste. Baring lifestyle changes I'll have mine for a long while yet. No magazine article, positive or negative, will make any difference to my enjoyment of ownership. However, I do like it when the public mis-truths are dispelled, and there have been plenty trotted out by the media over the years that needed to be rebalanced.

Herman is 24 years old and in the last year has run 15,000km over the length of the country and countless track events without a single issue. Why? Because I dumped a wad of cash fixing up deferred maintenance. The core car is high quality and the copy and pasted dribble over the years is finally fading to allow that message to come to the fore.

Doug is right. Objectively each model has performed better than the previous one. I just don't think we're objectively driven (pun intended). Long live the differences in the way we approach things and try to remember that we share the petrol head passion above all. That 15 people could share an ownership of a car boggles the mind. It only works because we are more similar than we think.
Very well said John.

Doug. Just loving that picture mate. My new favourite for the day. I officially cant wait for 15-17th May 2015. BRING IT ON!

Ill call you guys tonight when you are celebrating the finish.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:54 PM
shiraz
Racer

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=801575311

anyone seen this yet?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Subscribed.
Macca already gave me some pointers..

Better half and myself will be driving from Queenstown to Auckland the month of December quasi work related.

Route is set and firm but rented a AWD Subaru and looking for the best driving roads....
Old 10-31-2014, 06:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Good to see you here. Have just sent PM with our SI Tour maps etc from March (not sure if already sent before...

Once the Targa is over guys Im sure some of the others can fill in some gaps.

We hit the ground 20 Dec. Well take the 911s into the hills for a drive when you are in Auckland when you are there. Youll be totally RHD conversant by the :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?