Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 02:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

The South Island is stunning, but there are still lots of things to see in the North Island as well, even if flatter.
just make sure you stay on the right side of the road!
Old 11-01-2014, 02:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Too true, and very nicely put. Each to their own though, so it's my turn to bite. For me, my upgraded K16 996T is the perfect blend of the 959 and F40 I lusted after when younger. From the 959: a purposefully wide and vented 2+2 Porsche body with decent glasshouse allowing a real world driving position and AWD assisted sub-4s acceleration off the line. From the F40: parallel twin turbos, 200mph+ capability and a bit of noise to go with it, plus raw responsiveness without stability control nor ABS second-guessing my intentions (usually - sometimes it takes a while to disable itself). From both: direct ratio steering via a usefully round steering wheel, plus a proper handbrake. I love the clean exterior styling, including the more dynamic Q xenon headlights, and still get a big kick every time I see her, though I may wish that the sharpness of the Q had been echoed by crisper intercooler intakes behind the doors (a la the latest Cayman). The 996T slaughters those cars (and the vast majority of others with similar or better performance, most Porsches exempted) for reliability, and all the more so once its Achilles heel coolant fittings have been preventatively fixed in place. I would concede that a 996T doesn't really come alive until driven hard, though losing PSM helps considerably, as does a few mm of toe out, trailbraking out the understeer, and - of course - just driving it harder.
Oh dear. Another person offended. I did take it to the track and it showed how competent it was. In this video I had the radio on and was just toying with the 964s trying to get some footage.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#TargaTour final day yesterday. Had a blast repeating the Highlands stage again in Richard's 991 GT3. After this we toured to the 33.68km Queenstown to Glenorchy Stage which we did in both directions. I was able to take a few photos during the stage. While we were up there waiting for the rally cars to come through a lot of us went on the Dart River Jet boats for a great run up the river. The Tour has been successful with only one accident due to a steering part failure. We did over 695km of closed roads and 1,732km of touring between stages. I'm hooked and keen to do the North Island Targa Tour next May in my 07 Boxster S. Bring it on!

More photos on FB
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2014, 05:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris Barendregt has picked up BB and taken her to HD. Chris has the keys, garage remote and access card. He also has the AIM. Sam and co can drop by his house in Drury Rd to pick the items up next Saturday. I put the race seat back in. She's ready to run.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
#TargaTour final day yesterday. Had a blast repeating the Highlands stage again in Richard's 991 GT3. After this we toured to the 33.68km Queenstown to Glenorchy Stage which we did in both directions. I was able to take a few photos during the stage. While we were up there waiting for the rally cars to come through a lot of us went on the Dart River Jet boats for a great run up the river. The Tour has been successful with only one accident due to a steering part failure. We did over 695km of closed roads and 1,732km of touring between stages. I'm hooked and keen to do the North Island Targa Tour next May in my 07 Boxster S. Bring it on! More photos on FB
Good one Doug. I look forward to catching up and hearing about the reality of the Tour. In the meantime I have put the headlights in the room next to the garage. The tyres etc have not yet arrived.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:54 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I did take it to the track and it showed how competent it was. In this video I had the radio on and was just toying with the 964s trying to get some footage. aircooled at Pukekohe - YouTube
I remember that day.... remind me how it ended....

Originally Posted by John McM
Chris Barendregt has picked up BB and taken her to HD. Chris has the keys, garage remote and access card. He also has the AIM. Sam and co can drop by his house in Drury Rd to pick the items up next Saturday. I put the race seat back in. She's ready to run.
Thanks for that John - you are like our very own race mechanic! I'm going to need to grab a ride with someone next Sat as have to bring the 944 back from HD. Where does BB need to go after the trackday? If back to Chris garage then that will work well.

Who else is planning to be out next week?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I remember that day.... remind me how it ended.... Thanks for that John - you are like our very own race mechanic! I'm going to need to grab a ride with someone next Sat as have to bring the 944 back from HD. Where does BB need to go after the trackday? If back to Chris garage then that will work well. Who else is planning to be out next week?
Green shower for Ron behind me if I recall, plus a flat bed to CCS with Troy. Luckily it was an accessible pipe that went.

BB will go back in Chris' garage. Sam is organizing the day so maybe PM him and find out what's up with numbers.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:54 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Walt. I want what you are smokin my friend. Ive been batching cookies but none of them have been able to make my old Rodeo remind me of an E30 M3 just yet.
Whatever it is, it's been working well for 5 years now. A 996T is not - and will never be - automotive royalty in the style of a 959, F40 or 2.7RS, but throw even a well sorted stage 2 kit on it and it will show stock examples of those others its tailpipes all day and half the night on roads like ours. On second thoughts, I think my drug might just be reading, such as magazine comparos on real (albeit UK) roads of an early '06 997T (nearest stock performance to my Stage 2) vs a 959. Would I rather drive one of those others on some of Ron's roads? Yes, given the chance. Would I cover them any quicker? No.

OK, on better surfaced roads than ours, a stock F40 would likely pull away, and any with power upgrades would just disappear (one such has done very well in twisty US road races like the Spectre 341). With a better suspension, wheel and tyre package, the 959 might find itself back in front too but on those moist winding roads a stock 959 was reviewed as the more impressive, but slower drive, feeling "too soft and wallowy...more GT than out an out supercar".

Cars like your GT3 are quicker than mine (certainly through dry curves) but the icons of our youth are gradually showing their age now (as that tracked Testarossa at Taupo could also attest).

Of course, if you're thinking a 959 or F40 would be a more reliable car with lower maintenance costs, you'd have to be on something stronger.

Last edited by 996tnz; 11-01-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Walt I was just yanking your chain. I love your passion and enthusiasm mate. Always enjoy your posts (well thought out). Personally I think your 996TT is very cool. I just love the colour after having really only ever laid eyes on black and silver ones. Its 12M/L right?

The 996T T massively under rated and a bargain like the 964T 3.3 but in a different way. Its the "poor thinking mans performance daily driver Porsche" in the current market. While everyone rushes away and gushes about old relics like long hoods, 964s and 993s - most of which will almost double their initial capital outlay within a single period of enthusiast ownership (and at the end the only thing that will be remembered is how it was sold for 10K more than it was bought for LOL!) the 996TT and increasingly the 997 TT such as Jakes car offer massive amounts of ownership experiences for relatively very little A) Compromise and B) outlay.

The thing that I admire about many of you here is that you actually USE your Porsches as transport. As I age and realise a few basic truths I find it increasingly challenging to stomach owning such cars and not spending every minute I can driving them. Maybe thats a function of my remote circumstances but Id rather own a 996TT like yours and love and drive it regularly than a 993 like mine as a garage queen that never gets used....
Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete - the 64RSA is looking fantastic. Good to see it back on the "right coast". For those here uninitiated TRAKCAR (aka Peter) is a big time (by our standards) track junkie. Something like 30-50 track days each annual season. Prior track hacks have been a stink of deliciously track fortified 997 GT3s ending with a ownership stint with the lauded 997.2 GT3 4.0RS - one of the few on the planet that thrashed such a car within an inch of its life on numerous tracks the way it was conceive and intended! That model stands out as one of the biggest shames in Porsche production automotive production of recent times for me - a car that was barely born before it became a collectible garage trinket - but guys like Peter did a fine job of trying to break one repetitively on track and got maximum "value" from the equation IMO. The current '64RSA "relic" was I believe a gap filler before his 991 GT3 RS - I goaded him about the fun of driving an old timer on the track for months before he finally bought it claiming the speed of the later cars was only a small component of the enjoyment equation and I think he has actually really enjoyed the ownership experience (apart from the very high speed blow out on Hooter R6 that put him into a concrete barrier earlier this year but could have ended much worse!).

Ok. Your in town 23. Maybe we head out 24 for a drive!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Douggie. Great news about the Targa. Never heard of an event go down with so little carnage - well done!

Looking forward to NI TT next May with you. Hopefully we can get a little group together of RSG regulars. John, Herman would be perfect for this. Chris B Im sure will be interested (996TT). Matty G - you should consider he 996 GT3 its made for these roads. I will be 5 months travelling prior event but will be returning the 993 to softer road car settings/tyres etc after our Jan track day and hope that Jamie will join me as navigator/co driver.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Douggie. Great news about the Targa. Never heard of an event go down with so little carnage - well done! Looking forward to NI TT next May with you. Hopefully we can get a little group together of RSG regulars. John, Herman would be perfect for this. Chris B Im sure will be interested (996TT). Matty G - you should consider he 996 GT3 its made for these roads. I will be 5 months travelling prior event but will be returning the 993 to softer road car settings/tyres etc after our Jan track day and hope that Jamie will join me as navigator/co driver.
Must admit my interest is picqued. Need to talk to Doug to see what the real world experience is like. There were some fairly old cars on this tour. I could see Herman handling that pace easily.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Always a couple of 964s on the tour it seems. The tour field this year was huge (80 cars) and most of the looked late model but still tonnes of old timer regulars like "Samurai" Mike in his (quick) 1970s Nissan ZX. The NI is a 3 dayer so should prove no issue whatsoever for Herman. Pete could take the 944 as he will have finished racing and its road registered.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:50 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Walt I was just yanking your chain. I love your passion and enthusiasm mate. Always enjoy your posts (well thought out). Personally I think your 996TT is very cool. I just love the colour after having really only ever laid eyes on black and silver ones. Its 12M/L right?

The 996T T massively under rated and a bargain like the 964T 3.3 but in a different way. Its the "poor thinking mans performance daily driver Porsche" in the current market. While everyone rushes away and gushes about old relics like long hoods, 964s and 993s - most of which will almost double their initial capital outlay within a single period of enthusiast ownership (and at the end the only thing that will be remembered is how it was sold for 10K more than it was bought for LOL!) the 996TT and increasingly the 997 TT such as Jakes car offer massive amounts of ownership experiences for relatively very little A) Compromise and B) outlay.

The thing that I admire about many of you here is that you actually USE your Porsches as transport. As I age and realise a few basic truths I find it increasingly challenging to stomach owning such cars and not spending every minute I can driving them. Maybe thats a function of my remote circumstances but Id rather own a 996TT like yours and love and drive it regularly than a 993 like mine as a garage queen that never gets used....
Yes, it's nice to be able to run it in events like the HD sprints 'self-insured', which I'd be reluctant to do with something like a 959. Yep 12M/L PastelGelb - a standard factory colour in '98 but factory option in 2002. Not what I would have chosen, but it has grown on me, particularly how it stands out on track. Tuned examples do go well. Skidpad and slalom aside, her stats are broadly similar to yours: high 11 sec quarter mile, 0-100 in under 4 sec, 0-200 in 12 sec (and 0-300 in about 38 going off similarly tuned cars). Only done 3 instrumented runs but saw 80-120 in 2.2 which is another practical indicator of real world shove, though yours would cut under that I'd think.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

The value proposition of the 996/7 TT's is high. I've put 21,000km on mine and loved every minute of it.

Have been occasionally tempted to put on a tune and exhaust, but in all honesty it's got more power than I can handle already. Rather spend money on unpaid leave so I can drive it more!

Where did you find yourself measuring those stats Walt? Have you been sneaking down to Meremere to play with the fast fours and rotaries on Friday nights?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?