Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone here wired their GPS laptimer to their ECU?

Was looking at some telemetry options and this seemed a nice feature of some units....thought maybe Matt had done this already?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Has anyone here wired their GPS laptimer to their ECU?

Was looking at some telemetry options and this seemed a nice feature of some units....thought maybe Matt had done this already?
Not an option with my 964 so I went with the Aim Solo. Haven't had it out on the road yet, but the parameters I get just off the GPS, when used with the software they supply with the unit look impressive. I'll get lap on lap tracing.

AIM make a higher spec model, the Solo DL. Apparently it can connect to OBDII (K line/CAN) and aftermarket ECU (CAN/RS232)

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/dow...onnections.htm

Looks like they do Link G3 and G4

Last edited by John McM; 07-08-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Does it have pre loaded maps for all NZ tracks?

My ECU has CAN BUS. However you pay alot more for the extra functionally of the DL so unsure its worth it...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Does it have pre loaded maps for all NZ tracks?

My ECU has CAN BUS. However you pay alot more for the extra functionally of the DL so unsure its worth it...
Didn't see HD on the list on the machine. It only auto detects if within 5 km. no problem if it doesn't. One set up lap and I'm sorted. 10 Hz GPS so more accurate than iPhone.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into integrating the DL1 with the GT3's ECU, but haven't been able to confirm that it will work so haven't gone ahead yet. There's no CAN via OBD2 in these cars, the basic OBD2 info is refreshed too slowly to be useful for analysis, and I've read horror stories of direct CAN bus wiring killing the gauge cluster. I only really want throttle position, RPM, and brake pressure. If I can't work out an easy solution for ECU integration I can get RPM and basic brake on/off via the analog inputs.

The Solo doesn't have any NZ maps preloaded, but all of them except Highlands are available for loading with AIM's GPS Manager tool.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt. My research on this indicated no one has built a comprehensive pug and play solution which is cost effective yet. You have AIM and others but for camera integration you need SmartyCam or some other ridiculously expensive set up, then integration into ECU can be tricky etc etc etc.

Aim look like on the right track with a simple turn on an use solution. Its a shame the DL model is almost twice the price of the basic model. Also why dont they build these things to be compatible with the leading standards in sport video like GoPro Hero3 etc. Very frustrating.

My LINK G4 Extreme ECU has 9 parameters for transfer by CAN to the DL. Finally some benefit for having an aftermarket ECU!

In the end I suspect Harrys Lap timer on 1khz refresh for zero $ would more than be adequate for my novice lap times LOL!. Think is I dont have a smartphone. By the time I did cost would be about the same as AIM.

The Aussies have a system called RaceChrono Touchscreen GPS which was the most popular option when I was at Rennsport Weekend. It uses a bluetooth enabled Qarzstar 10 mhtz GPS reciever the size of a matchbox with a 25 hrs battery life and wireless connects to a 3.5 inch lightweight battery operated colour touch screen panel. Essentially it does everything you could need and looked a good solution for the money ($500) as it has OBDII connectivity inbuilt. You can discretely leave the panel in the glove box o pocket to record and mount the GPS receiver inside your rear resin wing etc...
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt, I didn't realise you could do that. I now have HD, Pukekohe, Taupo, Levels, Rupauna, Teretonga & Manfield. You are right, Highland is not there. Still that will be a short job on the day.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Team, From now I'll coordinate all Rennsport Gruppe banner orders now via the Gruppe site http://www.rennsportgruppe.org.nz/fo...php?topic=30.0
Old 07-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

John, I'd be interested in hearing about how you find the Solo. I nearly bought one last year but was a little put off by the price. It's no doubt a quality unit, but it seemed expensive for what you got (e.g. in comparison to something like http://www.pro-wholesale.co.nz/gps-l...r-data-logger/). The Solo has all the features I'd need though, and I'd still like one. I need to find a second-hand one on TradeMe or something.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Michael. Thats the unit that I was looking at which mates via bluetooth with the RaceChrono touchscreen system above. Didnt know you could collect data as stand alone. Very handy unit being so small. you could vecro it to the rear parcel shelf. I like the price. Well spotted...
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
John, I'd be interested in hearing about how you find the Solo. I nearly bought one last year but was a little put off by the price. It's no doubt a quality unit, but it seemed expensive for what you got (e.g. in comparison to something like http://www.pro-wholesale.co.nz/gps-l...r-data-logger/). The Solo has all the features I'd need though, and I'd still like one. I need to find a second-hand one on TradeMe or something.
Michael, I bought the Aim on the recommendation of a local V8 racer so I figured they were user tested. In car mode all you want (as far as I can see) is a big display with vital info I.e. lap times, especially predictive lap times. The real analysis is done on the laptop and Aim seem to have the required functions. I'll hopefully use it this weekend with the regularity trial at HD.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John, Im pretty sure your not allowed to use such a device in a regularity trial?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, Im pretty sure your not allowed to use such a device in a regularity trial?
Yes, I'd be surprised if you can, but I'll opt out of the comp. I'm really there to run the car in and do serious numbers of laps. Rosemary said the numbers are low so it will be drive until you drop.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize you were running the new engine in on the track. Guess you'll be killing a few birds with one stone then...be interested in some screen shots from the software when you down load the laps etc
Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Some interesting applications for the QSTARZ system here. Also some links on google to a few Rennlisters who have used GoPro and Dashware to integrate into video with telemetry sub screens. Seems like a good one button solution for little $$$ with the prime disadvantage you cant see your laptimes in the car but given timing gear is a no no for most insurance and competition events I guess its no harm to wait till your in the pits and fire up the laptop?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/QSTAR...07961345894993

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?